• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Majors and NT Schedule

Not so sure back to back weekend is a good idea. Last year the Pros complained about back to back weekends in Europe. If the PDGA wants Pros to compete at their highest level they need to give pros time to rest, recuperate and prepare for the next event.

It would also really help the region by having an off-week, allowing the Pros to spread out and play some local events in-between. Same with Europe, imagine if Pros had an off-week last year between Scandinavian and European Opens and spread out around Europe. That could have been a huge boost to the European scene.

Staying overseas for that long could be tough for a lot of pros though.

A lot of pros are playing every weekend anyways, so I think its okay to mix in a few of the big events on back to back weekends.

Anybody know what course will be used for this team event in Canada?

My knowledge is very limited on how this schedule gets worked out but a lot of questions come to mind.

1 what is the rationale behind an European exclusive field?(European Championships) how does that grow the sport? Are there any US tourneys that exclude players by place of origin? Begs an explanation.
2 2015 had 5 individual major tournaments, 2016 has 3. The inconsistency is painful in my opinion and discredits the accomplishments of the players to a degree. The tourneys with lasting credibility in terms of major title acclaim are the pro worlds and USDGC until they get this right.(one man's opinion)
3. On the surface not sure I am a fan of having an NT and a major in emporia in same season, just echoing other sentiments.
4. Any consideration to making St judes a major tourney? With all the media investments and a lack of a 4th individual major why not go all in there.

Just my opinion, in the meantime looking forward to the rest of 2015 season Cheers

I cannot imagine why the Tour would not want the GMC. It was an all out event this year. With the amazing course, the village for everyone to stay in, fallfest, and the absolutely stunning locale it is great for the sport. All of the pros I talked to absolutely loved it. Vermont has a lot to offer for those that have not been there.

I cannot imagine why the Tour would not want the GMC. It was an all out event this year. With the amazing course, the village for everyone to stay in, fallfest, and the absolutely stunning locale it is great for the sport. All of the pros I talked to absolutely loved it. Vermont has a lot to offer for those that have not been there.

I'm not sure that the decision makers are fully aware just what a major tourism locale this is. I'm going to offer to work closely with the GMC tournament director, the club, and the local and state tourism bureaus to make sure that next year's bid fully extols the region as the perfect venue for a PDGA National Tour event.

I am very disappointed with the PDGA's decision not to have the Ledgestone back as an NT this year. A few course tweaks and this event becomes an annual must play for any player around the country. I want to thank Nate for his efforts.

Saying that it's made me question my own time advocating and supporting the PDGA in Illinois. We went from nothing 10+ years ago into the top 5 in PDGA members, tournaments, & courses. There are many of us who have spent countless hours trying to grow Illinois disc golf especially the PDGA Tournament scene. Nate and his crew have taken a pretty non active PDGA scene in Peoria a few years ago into a very active one. Maybe we should run all Illinois tournaments as NOT sanctioned this year and waive the thousands of dollars we send to the PDGA.

4. Any consideration to making St judes a major tourney? With all the media investments and a lack of a 4th individual major why not go all in there.

I would be very surprised if this happens - I think the main idea behind this event is to be a charity event.

I would have thought there was a good spot for it a few weeks after BHMO and made it the 8th NT. Its possible they felt it was too far out of the way from the rest of the events on the schedule. It looks like the event got a lot of great support this year from players, so maybe that wasn't it, but just speculating.

Alas, the PDGA didn't publish their rationale alongside the schedule, so it's all speculation. Or, at least, mostly speculation.

Everyone is constantly complaining that touring pros are shooting way too far under par. Nate fixed that problem with a really tough course that challenged the best in the world (mcbeth shot a bogie free 9 under on the course, so it wasn't impossible to shoot well just very demanding). Coincidentally this tournament paid out the biggest purse in the history of disc golf. What does the pdga do to reward a td that worked his ass off to grow the sport, advance the ability for touring pros to actually tour and had a bigger pro field than worlds? They punished him by taking away NT status of his tournament. And we wonder why people get burned out and quit giving back to this community. What a disgrace

Some events have to get left out, its how this whole thing works.

People will be butthurt about whichever events they liked (or TD'd or promoted) that get left off. Its inevitable.

People will be butthurt about whichever events they liked (or TD'd or promoted) that get left off. Its inevitable.

True, but even from the outside with very little facts, the Ledgestone omission looks peculiar.

Oh, well. None of it is the way I'd do it, if I were Czar. Lucky for me, none if it has much effect on my life, either.

It's not inevitable to give the finger to the tournament that did the most of any tournament this year to create a viable tour for pros. By relegating this tournament you risk stagnating it's growth. You'd never see the pdga do this to vibram which is the only other NT with a comparable payout. Meanwhile pdga continues to get more total revenue from tournament fees and pro payouts continue to stagnate.

So the tournament with the largest pro purse in history got passed over for NT status next year?

WTF ???? That's ridiculous.

I'm speechless.....

Largest purse, over 20 k to charity, countless hours preparing, losing money on the whole deal......then is willing to run for nt status the next year after all the crap only to get turned down?

Fwiw nate, in my short experience with the pdga I there is little consistency. Thanks for all your efforts.....

On a side note....if the money is there the players will come, all you need is a sponsor(I know they don't grow on trees)....in all honesty what do you really need the pdga for?

I definitely was disappointed with the decision, and as much as I want to go into the "behind the scenes" details, I respect the process enough not to do so.

Expect an announcement in the next few weeks on our plans for the future.

I'm (selfishly) excited about the schedule. We plan on moving our Spring A-tier at Pendaries Village in NM to the week between KCWO and Master's Cup. Weather will be better and hopefully we catch all the touring pros on their way west from KC to Santa Cruz. All this pending PDGA approval of my application but hopefully we get the dates we asked for! We were able to add $7k to our pro purse last year which is unheard of in our state! Drop in the bucket compared to Ledgestone but three years ago there had never even been and A tier here! We had about half the touring pros last year as there was another good A-tier that same weekend (The Rumble). Hopefully the scheduling gods will be in our favor this year!

Big deal if your tourney doesn't get NT status. Throw a huge A-tier with a lot of extra cash and the players will still show up to play.

Big shout-out to the Delta Windjammers of Stockton, CA for getting the Tim Silenske U.S. Masters.

I'm (selfishly) excited about the schedule. We plan on moving our Spring A-tier at Pendaries Village in NM to the week between KCWO and Master's Cup. Weather will be better and hopefully we catch all the touring pros on their way west from KC to Santa Cruz. All this pending PDGA approval of my application but hopefully we get the dates we asked for! We were able to add $7k to our pro purse last year which is unheard of in our state! Drop in the bucket compared to Ledgestone but three years ago there had never even been and A tier here! We had about half the touring pros last year as there was another good A-tier that same weekend (The Rumble). Hopefully the scheduling gods will be in our favor this year!

That is exciting news. My spring road trip might have to be a week longer this year. Keep running great tournaments Marcos.

Big deal if your tourney doesn't get NT status. Throw a huge A-tier with a lot of extra cash and the players will still show up to play.

Big shout-out to the Delta Windjammers of Stockton, CA for getting the Tim Silenske U.S. Masters.

This is probably why Nate isn't up in arms. he said something about respecting the backstory... I wonder if they gave him a choice weekend for an A tier?