• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 Majors Announced

masters at emporia

that sounds incredibly boring and time consuming for everyone

FWIW The courses in Emporia aren't really bad. Golf course is obviously what it is, but Jones Supreme is fantastic and so is Peter Pan.

Really was surprised how much skill it actually takes to play there.

FWIW The courses in Emporia aren't really bad. Golf course is obviously what it is, but Jones Supreme is fantastic and so is Peter Pan.

So...this my opinion and does not in any way reflect what is going to happen:

Emporia Country Club: Should be MP40 only, if at all. Maybe MP50.

Jones Supreme 18: Should be MP40 only, if at all. Maybe MP50.

Eagle at Olpe Lake: Most appropriate for MP40, but MP40 and FP40 could play here.

Jones Supreme Short: Supreme Short is a mostly different layout. Supreme Short would be appropriate for most of the divisions. This would probably be the mostly layout for Jones.

Peter Pan: Appropriate for most of the divisions.

Cottonwood Falls: Appropriate for most of the divisions.

Clover Cliff Ranch: I haven't played it, but a lot of players sing its praises so it might be included.

If I was proposing a layout for FP40, I would some two-some combination of Jones Supreme Short, Peter Pan, and Cottonwood Falls.

I see Grand Rapids (an hour from me) getting Am Worlds for 2024. This presents an interesting conundrum with my current 13-year-old. Right now he's 880 rated and getting better quickly. If he keeps the improvements up he could be in the middle 900's and actually belong there when it takes place when he'll be 15. We could even stay at home and drive up for the rounds! The crux, though, is getting 2,000 points this year. He's also in track and cross country, which limits the Disc Golf-only portion of the year. I'll probably have to get him into even some cold weather tournaments in order to accrue so many points. At any rate, we have to think about this now even though it's quite possible he'll be a way different and better player in a year and a half. He's shooting up in height as we speak, likely will even look like a different person.

I'm guessing when Am Worlds was in G.R. in 1997 it wasn't so hard to get in. A bunch of my contemporaries around here have PDGA numbers in the 12,000's because they joined so they could play in that event. Feldberg is one of them, taking 173rd place! I see two of the 1997 sites (Brewer and Johnson) will be in the 2024 version. I know Brewer is vastly different, having been totally redesigned at least a couple of times. My son is very good there, one of his best courses, because his strength is on the tee box and there are a lot of open drives there. He took 5th in a big Am-3 field there once last spring while he was still 12. I haven't been to Johnson in over 20 years but I've heard it's great now. Bring the mosquito nets!

I also joined the PDGA so I could play in a worlds. Signed up in 1998 so I could play in the 2000 Ann Arbor one. Fun times!

Johnson is my "local". Great course. A couple of holes may need tweaking (#s 14 & 15 come to mind immediately).
Brewer should be called Revolver, it's been redesigned so d@mn many times just in the last decade. Even though, it's still a really good course, too.
Kinda surprised to see Disc Baron is involved. The hangover from 2017 must have worn off. :p

Johnson is my "local". Great course. A couple of holes may need tweaking (#s 14 & 15 come to mind immediately).
Brewer should be called Revolver, it's been redesigned so d@mn many times just in the last decade. Even though, it's still a really good course, too.
Kinda surprised to see Disc Baron is involved. The hangover from 2017 must have worn off. :p

There's a group of people I've been hanging out with at annual events since 1998, and Johnson Park is where I met them all that year. My friend (who owns Wild Haven today) is kind of the grand guru of the bunch and used to put on friendly DG tourneys. It was a weekend fun tourney using all three Grand Rapids basket courses, and we started there. I remember throwing one in from 150' on the first hole with my Capital City Renegades wizard-stamped Aviar and his friends razzing him for letting me play in this. We're all best buddies to this day. I remember loving Johnson and thinking one of the friends was a genius for wearing a full-faced mosquito net.

I'm debating whether or not I should attempt qualifying for this GR Am Worlds, and making the trek from NC. How are the four courses (Brewer, Fallasburg, Rotary North, and Johnson)? Are their course ratings here on DGCR accurate to you? I'm a bit alarmed at how low-rated Brewer and Johnson are, though I see both are weighed-down by some terrible drive-by reviews, and the TRs are more generous. And how are the organizers?

I'm probably a bit spoiled by 2019 Am Worlds, and getting to play Muddy Run and Quaker's Challenge. My inner course bagger also loved getting to play six courses instead of four, haha.

Peter pan is the only course I like in that area. My mp40 major next year will be the Selinski

Peter Pan isn't. And Jones Supreme doesn't seem to be. Eric is a great designer but Jones Supreme is on a piece of land that is VERY DULL. Supremely dull, even.

Peter Pan isn't. And Jones Supreme doesn't seem to be. Eric is a great designer but Jones Supreme is on a piece of land that is VERY DULL. Supremely dull, even.

I assume you've played it then by the ^ ^'s. Can we get a breakdown? :popcorn:

Emporia is very easy to work with, runs insanely quality events and they have the best town support of any place in the country.

Any town that matches that with better courses would instantly have a leg up up on them. But it's a pretty high mark to hit for sure.

I'm debating whether or not I should attempt qualifying for this GR Am Worlds, and making the trek from NC. How are the four courses (Brewer, Fallasburg, Rotary North, and Johnson)? Are their course ratings here on DGCR accurate to you? I'm a bit alarmed at how low-rated Brewer and Johnson are, though I see both are weighed-down by some terrible drive-by reviews, and the TRs are more generous. And how are the organizers?

The easier question to address is the one about the organizers. They are being led by the same TDs of 2017 Master Worlds. They did a really good job of organizing the course redesign/improvements around the GR area. One of the after hours events that they had was an urban disc golf course set up at the local minor league baseball park. Hopefully they do that again because it was fun - throwing a disc from a patio located behind centerfield onto the field was awesome.

As to the questions about the ratings, I'll have to do some research before I can answer.
But just from personal experience of playing the courses, they are all of good quality and certainly worthy of being used for AM Worlds. Rotary North still has rubber tees, so they would really need an update - but that may be a whole can of worms because the property is some sort of nature preserve that required DNR approvals in triplicate to move a shovelful of dirt when it was installed.

I assume you've played it then by the ^ ^'s. Can we get a breakdown? :popcorn:
Peter Pan is the one I've played. I've been to Jones, not as a player, when it was two courses. My comment on Supreme are as a viewer online. Pan, I would say, can most accurately described as a neat village course with some quirky features and a few holes with some distance that could be called reasonable Advanced par 4s.

I struggle with comments that, despite years of data to the contrary, think Worlds, Majors, or any elite event for that matter, is "really all about the courses". Is that belief really out there or is it just fun to talk about on these forums?

I struggle with comments that, despite years of data to the contrary, think Worlds, Majors, or any elite event for that matter, is "really all about the courses". Is that belief really out there or is it just fun to talk about on these forums?

I'd call it optimism. We all want the most prestigious events to be played at the best courses.

And we want them to be conveniently located.

And perfect video coverage.

And reasonably priced for spectating.

I'm sure there a few other items on the wish list.

:);)

I don't mind that Emporia is getting the events. I just think that the comments MTL made about the quality of PP and JS are disingenuous. I agree with him that they aren't "really bad" but the fact that he flew from they aren't really bad to they're actually fantastic are evidence that it's just plain PR BS. An effort to reframe the perspective. They're nice. Eric did what he could with the land. But... They're certainly not "fantastic."

They're good. Emporia SHOULD have big events. But his post was outright silly.

Latest posts