• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 Majors Announced

I don't mind that Emporia is getting the events. I just think that the comments MTL made about the quality of PP and JS are disingenuous. I agree with him that they aren't "really bad" but the fact that he flew from they aren't really bad to they're actually fantastic are evidence that it's just plain PR BS. An effort to reframe the perspective. They're nice. Eric did what he could with the land. But... They're certainly not "fantastic."

They're good. Emporia SHOULD have big events. But his post was outright silly.

I Think Jones Supreme is fantastic. I won't take that back. It's got so many different shots and the teeth is at the end of the course.

FWIW I mostly judge courses on basically a comparison of what did you have to work with and what did you get. Eric did an incredible job producing a quality championship course on that land.

Also, this isn't PR BS. I do not like ECC at all. My comment was not silly. It's ok to disagree with someone's opinion, but don't attack them and chalk it up to propaganda.

I Think Jones Supreme is fantastic. I won't take that back. It's got so many different shots and the teeth is at the end of the course.

FWIW I mostly judge courses on basically a comparison of what did you have to work with and what did you get. Eric did an incredible job producing a quality championship course on that land.

Also, this isn't PR BS. I do not like ECC at all. My comment was not silly. It's ok to disagree with someone's opinion, but don't attack them and chalk it up to propaganda.
You should judge the DESIGNER based on what they had to work with and what they got. The land, however, should never be minimized in the discussion of how good the COURSE is. Eric did an incredible job. The problem is - the land prevents that resulting in a fantastic course.

Last edited:
You should judge the DESIGNER based on what they had to work with and what they got. The land, however, should never be minimized in the discussion of how good the COURSE is. Eric did an incredible job. The problem is - the land prevents that resulting in a fantastic course.

I disagree, but I completely understand this point of view.

Since I started DG as COVID hit, I was big into watching all the events on YouTube.

Pretty quickly I figured out Emporia was not one of my favorites to watch.

Just because it's not fun to watch on camera doesnt mean its not a great place to play.

Just because it's not fun to watch on camera doesnt mean its not a great place to play.

I agree, in theory. However, I know I'm not going to enjoy a wide open bomberfest on a golf course as much as a place I can carve lines in the woods.

That's fair.

I agree, in theory. However, I know I'm not going to enjoy a wide open bomberfest on a golf course as much as a place I can carve lines in the woods.

And this is equally true. As a 50 something maxing out around 300 feet, I realize that many DG courses are simply not calibrated for me to score.

I may or may not enjoy that, but if I can't get a look at the basket off the tee and my competition can, I'm SOL.

Although the stats suggest I'm in the normal range for my age group, when I play events, it rarely feels like I'm on an even field.

but does it mean that it is not a great place to play considering the goals of the Elite events at this point? Personally i find Jones Supreme a legit test of the skills but as others have said painfully boring (other than hole 1 which I can't stand). All the courses there are great design work on Eric's part to coax what he did out of uninteresting land.

From my perspective - calling someplace a great place to play is kinda empty. Personally I think that the elementary school course full of 90' - 125' shots down the street is a great place to play. I thought every place in Emporia was a great place to play. I love throwing discs. Being a great place to play says almost nothing about the quality of the course, beyond at minimal whether or not it is a safe place to play (for players and pedestrians). Almost everywhere is a great place to play IMO.

See I'm in the same boat, but I can actually score on those courses, but so can every other bomber. I'd rather not play a course where every shot is a stock hyzer, or max D bomb, and instead play one that is more technical and requires more tools in the toolbox. If only I could putt consistently...then I'd be pretty much untouchable around here.

What does it take to qualify for US Masters (MP40) and when would I need to get the qualifying criteria (in 2023 or 2024 or both)? Planning to make that my first PDGA Major. Thanks.

What does it take to qualify for US Masters (MP40) and when would I need to get the qualifying criteria (in 2023 or 2024 or both)? Planning to make that my first PDGA Major. Thanks.

I have not been to a US Masters, so perhaps somebody can add information. But, here is the About section from the 2022 US Masters. It could be looked at, as a guidline to what the 2023 would likely be like. There does not seem to be any qualifying criteria. I would imagine that it fills quickly. If you want to play, better be ready to sign up. Here is a link to the facebook page and a copy of the 2022 Disc Golf Scene tournament page.

https://www.facebook.com/PDGAUSMasters/

Age Protected Pro Registration Fees: $245 ($200 entry fee, $30 facility fee, $5 Ace Pool, $10 non-refundable registration fee)
Amateur Registration Fees:$145 ($100 entry fee, $30 facility fee, $5 Ace Pool, $10 non-refundable registration fee)

In order to register for US Masters, you must be a 2022 current PDGA member and a PDGA Certified Official with an expiration date after September 11, 2022.

All amateur divisions at PDGA Majors are run as "True Amateur" with player packs for all players and trophies for top finishers.

Course Schedule
https://www.pdga.com/2022usmasters/course-schedule

Pool Assignments
A Pool - MP40, FP40
B Pool - MP50, FP50, MA40
C Pool - MP55, MP60, MA50, MA55, MA60
D Pool - MP65, MP70, MP75, MP80, FP50, FP55, FP60, FP65, FP70, MA65, MA70, FA40, FA50, FA55, FA60, FA65, FA70
subject to change

Course Assignments
A Pool - Snow Star, Camden 2
B Pool - Camden 2, Devil's Glen
C Pool - Middle Park, Camden 1
D Pool - Camden 1, Eastern
subject to change

but does it mean that it is not a great place to play considering the goals of the Elite events at this point? Personally i find Jones Supreme a legit test of the skills but as others have said painfully boring (other than hole 1 which I can't stand). All the courses there are great design work on Eric's part to coax what he did out of uninteresting land.

Jones Supreme is fantastic. Way more shot shaping than you think. I don't know how anyone can see that place in person and say it's painfully boring.

To say it's wide open a hyzer fest is completely incorrect. Emporia gets that label because of the golf course.

Last edited:

Typically there are none. Hope to see you in 2024 here in Raleigh!

Latest posts