• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Majors and NT Schedule

This is probably why Nate isn't up in arms. he said something about respecting the backstory... I wonder if they gave him a choice weekend for an A tier?

I believe that. Also wouldn't be surprised if other events fell short of making NT status because of scheduling. As in, they had a specific weekend or window of weekends in which they had to run their event (local restrictions), and none of those dates were compatible with the NT schedule. I imagine that happens more than we think, including events that don't even bother applying to be an NT due to their inflexibility with regard to dates.

That's probably true, but from here in the cheap seats, perusing the schedule, it's hard to guess what those restrictions are. Unless they involve 2 events that both need the same weekend. It's hard to discern much of a routing pattern that's being followed.

Which is to say, I'm sure there are reasons I haven't thought of, but I can't think of them.

If you live in florida the closest NT to you the whole year is in Ohio but there are 2 90 minutes apart in the midwest. Doesn't sound like a "national" tour to me.

That's probably true, but from here in the cheap seats, perusing the schedule, it's hard to guess what those restrictions are. Unless they involve 2 events that both need the same weekend. It's hard to discern much of a routing pattern that's being followed.

Which is to say, I'm sure there are reasons I haven't thought of, but I can't think of them.

I was more referring to local restrictions independent of disc golf. I have no specific knowledge so just talking hypothetically, but let's take the Green Mountain Championships. It's hosted at a resort in VT. It could be that the resort only has one or two weekends in which they can accommodate the event. If those weekends aren't compatible with the NT schedule makers' designs, it may not work out for that event.

By a similar token, there may be entire regions where there are no events/venues willing or capable of being an NT, or if there are, the scheduling can't be worked out satisfactorily. This is specifically the case in the southwest US. I don't think there's even been an NT in that region other than the HOF Classic. And the IDGC folks are on record not wanting to run that event every year, which in theory gives other places a chance but it doesn't seem anyone is willing to step up. So there is no NT there every other year.

I was more referring to local restrictions independent of disc golf. I have no specific knowledge so just talking hypothetically, but let's take the Green Mountain Championships. It's hosted at a resort in VT. It could be that the resort only has one or two weekends in which they can accommodate the event. If those weekends aren't compatible with the NT schedule makers' designs, it may not work out for that event.

I understand. I'm just curious at to what the NT schedule makers' designs are.

If the GMC's only available weekend is one that another NT or Major has, I see that. If it's one of the many other open weekends, I don't. I'm not saying there's not a good reason in the NT schedule makers' designs---only that it's not readily apparent. At least, not to me.

That only covers places that actually want to host an NT, of course. If areas don't have one, my first assumption is that no one there tried.

Wow! great conspiracy theory's on who gets an NT. It is my understanding that it is in the best interests of the PDGA to have as many NT events as possible. They don't randomly exclude to make it seem like there is some selective process going on. They have a set of standards that have to be met. Those standards are plenty, and some TDs decide they can put on a great event without the extra work and headache. I'd have to wonder whether those that got left off chose not to take on the task before I assumed that the PDGA rejected them.

Wow! great conspiracy theory's on who gets an NT. It is my understanding that it is in the best interests of the PDGA to have as many NT events as possible. They don't randomly exclude to make it seem like there is some selective process going on. They have a set of standards that have to be met. Those standards are plenty, and some TDs decide they can put on a great event without the extra work and headache. I'd have to wonder whether those that got left off chose not to take on the task before I assumed that the PDGA rejected them.

From a fairly reliable source:

The GMC applied to be an NT, and the Ledgestone did as well.

I think I missed the conspiracy theories. I, for one, don't question that there are standards, and factors I'm unaware of. In fact, that's all I'm saying--that there must be factors I'm unaware of.

Seems to be a lot of bad information going on around here.

The PDGA wants to limit the NT schedule to around 7 events and they are pretty firm in that. There was a perfect spot to have the GMC as an NT two weeks after Hambrick but it didn't work out. There were 8 NT's in 2014, 7 in 2015 and there will be 7 in 2016. The KCWO, HOF Classic and BMHO are tournaments that are on the every other year basis for NT right now. Memorial, MHO and Master's Cup are on the every year schedule right now, along with BSF.

Looks like GBO was added to the every year schedule as well. Other random tournaments have been granted NT status for different reasons, such as Rochester for their 40th anniversary, Steliacom because it was a few hours from the Worlds location the following weekend, etc.

This is probably why Nate isn't up in arms. he said something about respecting the backstory... I wonder if they gave him a choice weekend for an A tier?

I petitioned the PDGA to have the Ledgestone be an NT for 2016 and it didn't work out. Even though I was frustrated with how it went down, I respect the PDGA and the process enough not to air all of the details. They did not ask me for my dates for an A Tier up front and I have not submitted those dates yet so I did not receive any preferential treatment.

As stated, the GMC pushed hard to be an NT for next year. The Nick Hyde Memorial also pushed hard to be an NT. Obviously both of those events were rejected. The PDGA wants to have one NT per region every year, and their goal is to have 2 quality events per region that can alternate in and out every other year. Obviously some NT's dominate their region (MHO, Memorial, etc) and probably will continue to do so.

I was surprised at GBO getting NT status again with worlds coming to Emporia a few months later but DD is doing some good things with the GBO. It also sounds like Worlds is going to see some pretty massive changes for 2016. It will definitely make some people mad if the proposed changes go through but that's how it goes!

The Green Mountain Championship indicated an interest in, but never officially applied for, National Tour status in 2016. The Ledgestone Insurance Open did officially apply for NT status in 2016, but were told before they applied for NT status in 2015 that they would need to alternate years with the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open.

I was surprised at GBO getting NT status again with worlds coming to Emporia a few months later but DD is doing some good things with the GBO. It also sounds like Worlds is going to see some pretty massive changes for 2016. It will definitely make some people mad if the proposed changes go through but that's how it goes!

I can understand some surprise with GBO getting NT status. BSF was not an NT the year they also hosted worlds. Dynamic runs some of the best tournaments around. When they first ran Am Worlds everyone with PDGA was saying how easy their life was that week and how it was the best run worlds event ever. With the success of last year's GBO, I am not at all surprised that when Rusco said please, the PDGA said okay.

As for changes to worlds, I am in great anticipation. I fear the worst for myself as I would hate to miss out on such a fun event to be a part of. I have plenty of points to qualify, bit I have heard the rumors of changing the registration process. Personally I think they should make pro worlds resemble Am Worlds and just let more people in.

I petitioned the PDGA to have the Ledgestone be an NT for 2016 and it didn't work out. Even though I was frustrated with how it went down, I respect the PDGA and the process enough not to air all of the details. They did not ask me for my dates for an A Tier up front and I have not submitted those dates yet so I did not receive any preferential treatment.

What if we in CA forfeit the NT on the masters cup to give ledgestone NT status? Your event pays better and deserves it even more on account of the insane amount of work you did to raise things to the next level -- cool?

Nate you are "truly" a class act :)

Thanks for your patience with the PDGA! If I'm reading between the lines it looks like LO will be NT in 2017 at least? I think the sport can survive the setback of this year's LO omission.

Nate you are "truly" a class act :)

Thanks for your patience with the PDGA! If I'm reading between the lines it looks like LO will be NT in 2017 at least? I think the sport can survive the setback of this year's LO omission.

Particularly since (I assume) the LO is still going to happen as an A-tier. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as I can tell, the only real difference between being an A-tier and being an NT is a smidge more drawing power for the elite players (because of the series points) and on-the-ground support from the PDGA staff. If the Ledgestone runs the exact same event with even 50% of the added cash they had this year (and I imagine they can do that without too much trouble), it's still going to be a HUGE draw for players of all skill levels. Doubtful attendance takes a hit at all.

I am curious, what support does an NT get versus a standard A tier event? Does the PDGA throw in some extra cash or something? I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.

I am curious, what support does an NT get versus a standard A tier event? Does the PDGA throw in some extra cash or something? I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.

Like I said, it's mostly "on the ground" support. The PDGA sends staffers to NTs. Sometimes it's Downes, sometimes Sweeton, most of the time Gregwah, sometimes a combination of the three. With them usually comes the PDGA trailer with the big circus tent and other support materials.

A-tiers are pretty much on their own in the same way B and C-tier events are.

What if we in CA forfeit the NT on the masters cup to give ledgestone NT status? Your event pays better and deserves it even more on account of the insane amount of work you did to raise things to the next level -- cool?

The Master's Cup is a great event and I don't think anyone needs to give up NT status for our event. But thanks for the kind words!

As for changes to worlds, I am in great anticipation. I fear the worst for myself as I would hate to miss out on such a fun event to be a part of. I have plenty of points to qualify, bit I have heard the rumors of changing the registration process. Personally I think they should make pro worlds resemble Am Worlds and just let more people in.

I would say there's a 95% chance less people will be playing Pro World's next year.

The PDGA also gives a $1000 stipend to NT events. I know for most NT events its not a huge deal, but for some its a nice little thing. For my event it was less than .5% of our budget, but I imagine for some events it could be 5 to 10%. The on the ground support also includes the PDGA tent, PDGA resources (smaller tents, feather flags, sound systems, crowd control devices, etc). It is definitely beneficial to have them at the event. Marty does a phenomenal job with media as well.

I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.

I can't confirm this, but I can't find that we have ever had that many NT events. I think we have only ever had 8 NT events and a few years we had 4 or 5. I could be wrong though.

Particularly since (I assume) the LO is still going to happen as an A-tier. Nothing wrong with that.

We should have an announcement in a few weeks on plans for next year. Something is in the works..

Latest posts