• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is everybody sure there isn't a way to watch the lead card tomorrow? Or, is anybody filming it so it can be uploaded later. I want to see Nikko blow up.

They said repeatedly on the broadcast yesterday that today's coverage would be of the women's lead card. The men's card is going out an hour ahead of that card, so I don't think there's much chance that they'll try any kind of double duty.

None of the usual suspects have been promoting that they're there to do edited coverage, which is kinda surprising. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will come out of the blue with something.

Your going to have to unpack this one for me chief.

Since this is your new sig, I suppose it should be addressed. "Keep disc golf in the woods" is a knock on the hundreds of courses across this country (world) that don't have the luxury of being wooded. All you need to play this great game of ours is a Frisbee and your imagination. No trees required.

Maybe I should sig #Keepdiscgolfwideopen. :rolleyes:

Since this is your new sig, I suppose it should be addressed. "Keep disc golf in the woods" is a knock on the hundreds of courses across this country (world) that don't have the luxury of being wooded. All you need to play this great game of ours is a Frisbee and your imagination. No trees required.

Maybe I should sig #Keepdiscgolfwideopen. :rolleyes:

How about #keepouroptionsopen

Are we really SO SPOILED that we are complaining about this?

Waits for Dawson face, which is actually a selfie of Streets crying about the Memorial.

The Midwesterners and east coasters like to complain. I love keeping options open. Open, woods, water, dry, up, down...it's all disc golf.

Off topic but: One of the great things about disc golf(especially when compared to golf) is that it can be played on natural terrain, and the best thing(of many things) about playing on natural terrain is every course(every 'natural course' that is) is as diverse as the state/region that it's in. I play in Phoenix a lot and favor playing the natural desert courses over the maintained grass 'park' courses kinda like how one doesn't eat at McDonald's when on the Champs-Elysees.

I live in Vermont where almost everything is heavily wooded. However one of the best courses around brewster ridge has 36 holes and 18 of them are heavily wooded and 18 are open. The stark contrast compliments each other perfectly. Also not often playing as many open holes I find it to be a fun change from wooded courses. I would not want to do it every time I play, but nor would I want to play a SUPER technical wooded course every time I play as well:)

How about #keepouroptionsopen

Are we really SO SPOILED that we are complaining about this?

Streets and I were discussing better styles of courses for challenging top pros. Its not like I think open courses are useless or shouldn't exist.

Disagree

Terry's voice seemed husky like he has a cold? Also...not a fan of dropping the camera to the ground for those weird angles. Who lies on the ground to watch disc golf? Camera should maintain shoulder height for that "as if you're there" viewpoint.

And when putting, can we have the basket and player in frame with no movement once the disc is launched? It's ok to pan camera on drives and upshots, but putting should be rock solid all in the frame with no panning. imho. ;)

IMHO the ground shots add more color to the game.

Has anyone noticed the 4 players in pool B listed at +72 for the round, and still a rating? I am assuming they missed all 18 holes and received the par+4 penalty. But doesn't including them on the ratings (rather than a DNF, 999, or 888) skew everyone else's ratings? There's got to be an explanation?

Paging Chuck Kennedy.

If this needs to be moved to the Ratings threads category I understand.

Has anyone noticed the 4 players in pool B listed at +72 for the round, and still a rating? I am assuming they missed all 18 holes and received the par+4 penalty. But doesn't including them on the ratings (rather than a DNF, 999, or 888) skew everyone else's ratings? There's got to be an explanation?

Paging Chuck Kennedy.

If this needs to be moved to the Ratings threads category I understand.

Just because the scores have ratings doesn't mean the scores were included in the calculations to create the ratings. Not to mention anything up there now is unofficial. I imagine the rounds officially will be entered as 888/999 or at the very least, excluded from any calculations.

Just because the scores have ratings doesn't mean the scores were included in the calculations to create the ratings. Not to mention anything up there now is unofficial. I imagine the rounds officially will be entered as 888/999 or at the very least, excluded from any calculations.

True. I was talking unofficial. But point taken. It just seemed odd that they were included as propagators with rated rounds. But you're right. Plenty of time to correct that.

The Midwesterners and east coasters like to complain. I love keeping options open. Open, woods, water, dry, up, down...it's all disc golf.

Watching disc golf being played is rarely compelling.

Watching disc golf being played on wide open courses is never compelling, at least with the current two camera media.

Playing open courses is fun but that's because DG is fun.

True. I was talking unofficial. But point taken. It just seemed odd that they were included as propagators with rated rounds. But you're right. Plenty of time to correct that.

My point was more a question of whether they actually were included as propagators or not, even unofficially. Suppose that really is a question for Chuck or someone familiar with the coding in the database.

Watching disc golf being played is rarely compelling.

Watching disc golf being played on wide open courses is never compelling, at least with the current two camera media.

Playing open courses is fun but that's because DG is fun.

I actually prefer to watch play on more open courses if it's a course I'm not familiar with. A lot easier to understand what the player is doing and where he is throwing. The really wooded courses, even with great camera work and course maps still leave me questioning what's going on when a player throws. Especially true on their second shot where you can really get lost since you don't know where the pin is, where they're trying to advance to, etc. I can't appreciate what they're doing nearly as much.

edit - I should clarify that I prefer to watch championship caliber open courses or ones with a lot of danger like Fountain Hills. The 300ft wide open par 3 pitch shots that you sometimes see on video are definitely boring to watch.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Will and Ricky make the lead card with Paul. It will be awesome watching Paul and Will throw shade at each other lol.

All things considered (lack of $, Terry's illness, lack of $, vicissitudes of cellular connectivity, lack of $, first day of the tournament & season jitters, lack of $, Smashboxx production team is not as big as the Monday Night Football production team, lack of $, the director/head of pruduction is the same guy who is doing playXplay, lack of $ and finally, lack of $,) I thought the Smashboxx coverage has been tremendous. I thought Terry & Madison were great on the call and while it would be fun to watch the top men's cards, I'm looking forward to watching the ladies top card too.

Watching NT disc golf live in HD on the big screen in my living room, like it was any on their sporting event, is pretty sick. I'd just like to acknowledge that.

Sum it up...

So, as you all know we are showing the women today. Some like this, some don't. Oh well. This course is short and fun. It will be a pleasure to watch.

Condensed round coverage. We are SWAMPED doing the live broadcast all day and then the wrap-up show at night. BUT, we do plan on putting out some sort of condensed coverage of the rounds that we record. But it might not be immediate. HOPEFULLY starting next week. I understand that people want it soon, if not yesterday. We are all excited that the NTs have begun.

Men's card today. We think that we have someone that will do some recording of the round. He is a volunteer, so we are not sure exactly what we will get out of him. I don't think we will see traditional shot-by-shot coverage of this round. But we hope to put together a longer highlight package depending on the quality of the footage. We won't know until we review the footage we get today. Yes, the card is "awesome". But think about it... it will be awesome tomorrow and Saturday as well.

Seriously, thanks everyone for your support and tuning in. We have only just begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts