• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Glass Blown Open

GBO Definitely needs to be moved to either summer or fall, especially if they plan to continue to use Olpe.

This is Kansas weather in April, it rains and storms. Either it will do so before the event and courses like Olpe will be a disaster, or it will do it during the event and rounds will be cancelled.

This is too big of an event to not be able to find a way too schedule it differently.
The GBO was actually kicked around the calendar quite a bit before settling in it's current late April time slot. It actually started in late June and has been held in July and August as well. Granted, it was a run of the mill B-tier during most of that time.

The thing is, crazy weather can hit here any time of year. At the other end of the state they are having blizzard warnings as we speak just 53 days from the start of Summer. We had flooding issues last year around here all the way from May to September. As soon as tornado season winds down, summertime derechos start up. And then there's the heat and humidity issues.

Weather is out of whack. It snowed heavily in Finland all through the night and tomorrow will be first day of spring and +10 celsius. I cant imagine a thing like "settling on a particular weekend due to historically fair weather". Weather systems care not about which day of the week it is. Which month of the year - now that may be a bit different but even that seems to carry little weight nowadays :D

You must know something about meteorology/climatology that the experts don't. Your comment sounds legit, but you don't know what you don't know. I have a PhD in climatology and you are all wet.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/1/014005/meta#citations

Work from climatologists at Rutgers and Wisconsin from 2015. Not the only one I saw on scholar.google - For more search: "ocean temperature","jet stream patterns" - I confined my search to 2013 on for more recent work. Your thoughts on these pieces of research?

Did any else feel that Catrina Allen was just kinda going through the motions and not even trying to win? She seemed like her mind was elsewhere and wasn't even really focusing...

Did any else feel that Catrina Allen was just kinda going through the motions and not even trying to win? She seemed like her mind was elsewhere and wasn't even really focusing...

Don't know about that, but she got some bad breaks a few times, and that might've gotten her down some.

I'd also say that Olpe is such a long course and Paige is outthrowing her for the most part, so that might've been demoralizing to her.

Regardless of the cause, there could probably be some better scheduling for some of these events now that they are "National Tour" or DGPT/DGWT. Some of these events are scheduled in exactly what could be problematic times for the region. On the other hand, there are a number of events in much more benign weather areas.

I currently live in Oklahoma, so I can identify with problems in Kansas (GBO) or Texas (Nick Hyde). Schedule events in those places in spring, and you might enjoy very beautiful weather (most beautiful time of the year, in my opinion... see round 2 at Jones East) but there's also a 1-5% chance of the worst weather of the year (e.g. tornadoes or at least thunderstorms or torrential rains with flooding). Seems like if it's impossible to have a way to make up final rounds for these tournaments, they should probably be relegated back to a plain old A-tier event OR rescheduled for a time where tournament-preventing weather will almost certainly not be a problem (summer or fall would both work better, I think). There are other areas of the country that would work much better in April & May...

I propose the tour starts in California and stays there for the first...3 months of the year. Just start south, work your way all the way to the redwoods up north, and it's a hop skip to BSF in June. :p Maybe we'll throw AZ and NV a bone and let them have the first two stops, even.

climate change, normal seasonal weather, the weather god's have ya introduces infinite types of possibilities.

now that the data is in, let's track a farmer's schedule for this area of the country this time of year. would any resonable rational farmer in kansas expect good weather this time of year....hell no.

how did the weather work out at world's in kansas, great and it will always be that way.

gb is well, a warmup for yo big throw.

Simon, good luck pushing that disc through the thick humid air of the midwest!!

Last edited:
Don't know about that, but she got some bad breaks a few times, and that might've gotten her down some.

I'd also say that Olpe is such a long course and Paige is outthrowing her for the most part, so that might've been demoralizing to her.

PP is an animal. But doesn't out throw her prodigy counterpart by that much. Catrina's put is deadly. As good as any average male pro.

How hanna leatherman tied her is impossible.

PP is an animal. But doesn't out throw her prodigy counterpart by that much. Catrina's put is deadly. As good as any average male pro.

How hanna leatherman tied her is impossible.

Same thing happened at GBO that happened at Nick Hyde: Paige struggled on the last couple holes and lost major ground on the scoreboard. I'm curious if these things will help her focus more on a round to round basis long term.

I noticed those changes myself. I hit the island on #1, but slid off the back side into ob. The basket placement on 12 was one of those 'wtf am I going to do here' kind of moments, and I really wanted to see the pros try to hit it on the drive!

The pros made it look easy, but for us mere mortals that course is no joke.

So watching the first round coverage (and this may have already been said) but the course is playing much easier on hole 1 and 12. When I played that course at GBO last year 1 had no backstop and was on the top right. and 12 was a postage stamp size island where the tent was located along the fence. It doesn't help to have 25-30 mph winds.

Fun watching the pros finally play this course though.

The weather can't be predicted but in instances like this why not preface the tournament by setting up 2 rounds in a day if threatening weather is forecast?

The sun comes up at 6:30, use all of the daylight on the good weather day(s). (I know -- there's an unwritten rule that says a disc golfer's day can't start before 10 . . . )

If needed you could pre-establish some cut format where the field is pared to match to the necessary time for any shortened events. If 72's all that would fit for a shotgun start -- cut to 72. Yes, you have to publish (approve?) any of this in advance but it could be done.

Yes -- I realize this would be a huge undertaking and I'm not doing it -- it just seems a shame to put all the effort to run a big event and then not have all the rounds played.

The other part I haven't seen mentioned is that there's really nothing keeping the weather from wiping multiple/all days of a tournament. That would really stink -- not there's much you could do about it.

This is why Kansas isn't a Mecca. Unpredictable weather and snoozefest courses? Give me a break.
And yet over 1,000 people, many of whom are repeat customers, signed up several months in advance to play our snoozefest courses and deal with our unpredictable weather.

But hey, feel free to go on thinking your elitist internet opinion outweighs all that.

On the other hand, Emporia has hosted an Am Worlds, a Pro Worlds and will be hosting three consecutive junior worlds. They either are doing something right or are fooling a lot of people with a lot power and decision making in our sport.