• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 DGPT Tour Championship Oct 18-21

Please share that idea with the Tour Manager and Competition Committee. Volunteer to take the job while you're at it, because adding a new task means adding a new warm body.

Just make it mandatory for all touring pros to check this forum once a week, they'll soon have each and every blunder pointed out to them ;)

In hindsight, the first group through should have noticed it and brought it to the TD or course maintenance staff so it could be remedied.

Players don't call each other for faults, now we're ok with the TD not getting the course setup properly? At some point...there needs to be some "real" accountability and imop it starts with the TD. You don't start a high level tournament round without making sure the rules are properly put in place on the course. Draw the lines, connect the dots, gaps, strings, whatever. but please can we minimize the "visual interpretation of a rule" at least at the higher level events?

It was pointed out that the grass was healthy green in that space indicating the tie was absent for a considerable time (longer than a few days). I've seen gaps like this in previous DGPT "Keen"/"Black Ink" islands. They were used as walk-throughs & roll-throughs by players. They were intentional gaps.I've seen gaps at other courses too; this is not rare. The only omission I saw was defining the line in the caddy book. They do it right at USDGC #17 where it's specifically stated that the hay bales are OB. Even they a small gap where the bale meets the water. I think there is a line or flag there. The players handled the situation as the rules intend but it was a tough break for Nate and an interesting dynamic.

Ok, but the gap wasn't there last year.

BTW this is literally exactly what I'm talking about. In the span of a page, we have somebody saying it's obvious that the tie was not intentionally left out while here is a suggestion that it is more likely that it was intentionally permanently removed.

All we need(ed) is a clarifying statement from the TD or somebody involved.

BTW this is literally exactly what I'm talking about. In the span of a page, we have somebody saying it's obvious that the tie was not intentionally left out while here is a suggestion that it is more likely that it was intentionally permanently removed.

Listen to the latest ProTour talk podcast. Steve interviewed Nate Sexton and they went over hole 15 in detail.

Players don't call each other for faults, now we're ok with the TD not getting the course setup properly? At some point...there needs to be some "real" accountability and imop it starts with the TD. You don't start a high level tournament round without making sure the rules are properly put in place on the course. Draw the lines, connect the dots, gaps, strings, whatever. but please can we minimize the "visual interpretation of a rule" at least at the higher level events?

And what should be the "accountability" here? Should the TD be punished? Suspended from the PDGA? Barred from running the tournament next year? Flogged in the town square?

My point wasn't to excuse the TD for the oversight. It was to point out that he wasn't alone in letting the oversight happen. He messed up one detail. **** happens. But there was certainly plenty of opportunity to correct it before it became a factor in play.

Why? I am guessing that OB all over the course was not in the exact position as last year. I might even speculate that somebody went OB that might have been in last year. It was called out within a couple seconds by the players involved, I fail to see what the interwebz fallout is all about.

And what should be the "accountability" here? Should the TD be punished? Suspended from the PDGA? Barred from running the tournament next year? Flogged in the town square?

My point wasn't to excuse the TD for the oversight. It was to point out that he wasn't alone in letting the oversight happen. He messed up one detail. **** happens. But there was certainly plenty of opportunity to correct it before it became a factor in play.

Oh come on, Flogging? Thumb screws should be enough... but not on their throwing hand.

Why? I am guessing that OB all over the course was not in the exact position as last year. I might even speculate that somebody went OB that might have been in last year. It was called out within a couple seconds by the players involved, I fail to see what the interwebz fallout is all about.

from a previous post of mine: "Regardless of the volume of controversy/criticism, I think clarification would be a good thing and I struggle to think of reasons why transparency would be a bad idea."

(missed the edit window)
Listen to the latest ProTour talk podcast. Steve interviewed Nate Sexton and they went over hole 15 in detail.

thanks! listening now. for others:
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/disc-golf-pro-tour-talk/e/56980968?autoplay=true
they start talking about hole 15 at 14:15

I love that he is clarifying how provisionals need to be played. make a call first, THEN play the provisional

oh well. listened from 14:15 to about 20 when it was just Steve talking about hole 15 and I didn't hear him actually talk about the missing tie once so maybe they just don't plan to address it? or maybe he and nate talk about the tie later in the show

(missed the edit window)

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/disc-golf-pro-tour-talk/e/56980968?autoplay=true

I love that he is clarifying how provisionals need to be played. make a call first, THEN play the provisional

oh well. listened from 14:15 to about 20 when it was just Steve talking about hole 15 and I didn't hear him actually talk about the missing tie once so maybe they just don't plan to address it? or maybe he and nate talk about the tie later in the show

They talked about the missing tie. It had been removed several months ago for maintenance purposes. Nate thought that was a poor reason for it to be removed and thinks that all islands should be fully enclosed (except by design such as USDGC 17). Steve agreed and at the very least a line should be painted.

They also talked about the inconsistency of the scorecard, virtual players meeting, and caddy book. On the scorecard, it was written that the wall was the boundary but that was not stated in the caddy book or virtual players meeting (same with the mando(s) on that hole).

(missed the edit window)

That's if they were playing a provisional under 809.02 B. 2. (to appeal a ruling).

I thought they were correctly playing under 809.02 B. 1. (to save time, so they could play on while waiting for the TD).

They talked about the missing tie. It had been removed several months ago for maintenance purposes. Nate thought that was a poor reason for it to be removed and thinks that all islands should be fully enclosed (except by design such as USDGC 17). Steve agreed and at the very least a line should be painted.

They also talked about the inconsistency of the scorecard, virtual players meeting, and caddy book. On the scorecard, it was written that the wall was the boundary but that was not stated in the caddy book or virtual players meeting (same with the mando(s) on that hole).

perfect! thank you for the summary and kudos to Steve and Nate for talking candidly about it.