• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Disc Golf Pro Tour

Ultiworld footnote reads:

Besides not being an irony, small or great, no disc thrown by a professional accelerates at all, excepting drop-ins or near vertical putts.

exactly, that's why their attempt at paralleling the fastness of a car and the fastness of a disc is nonsense. how each accelerates is completely different. the moment a disc is going its fastest is the last second it touches our hand, and the millisecond after that (there would never be a reason to time this because its over so fast; 0 to 60 in, blah blah). how a car accelerates is incredibly slower by comparison.

the irony is at the level of the DGPT's message--sports cars signify fastness and in their mind putting disc golf next to that signifier would make people associate the sport with fastness and all its synonyms. their message only works in the abstract if one ignores concrete reality--and, like we've all immediately noticed, their message was just a gigantic, poorly executed flop.

exactly, that's why their attempt at paralleling the fastness of a car and the fastness of a disc is nonsense. how each accelerates is completely different. the moment a disc is going its fastest is the last second it touches our hand, and the millisecond after that (there would never be a reason to time this because its over so fast; 0 to 60 in, blah blah). how a car accelerates is incredibly slower by comparison.

the irony is at the level of the DGPT's message--sports cars signify fastness and in their mind putting disc golf next to that signifier would make people associate the sport with fastness and all its synonyms. their message only works in the abstract if one ignores concrete reality--and, like we've all immediately noticed, their message was just a gigantic, poorly executed flop.

I don't think promotional videos are meant to be physics lessons. The crappy ad was just as bad as the crappy "journalism" in that article, but not because it tried to make rough associations between fast things.

Yea I just happened to click on it somewhere after I read Steve's post about the DGI stuff. Might have been on a social media account I don't really remember, lol. It was definitely a well written piece.:thmbup:

thanks, it made me feel like a real 'BIG J Journalist.' especially the part where i found their deleted video

anyway, what i was really trying to get at (and this is something i probably could've been more explicit about, and would be if i was to re-write this) was i want to get more excited about the upcoming season, and i want other interested people to be getting more excited too, along with all the potential fans out there who might only have a passing interest, if any, who could use more of a nudge to get their attention.

it doesn't take much convincing at all to make me watch sports of any kind (its my favorite thing besides playing them), but i know not everyone is like me in that regard. i'd like to see the various tours get better at getting people's attention directed towards the impressive fields of talented pros they've been gathering at events the last two years. i think this sentiment roughly parallels jamie's posts here too.

what jomez, ccdg and juan at overstable studios have been able to do in terms of creating both a following for themselves and the pros they cover and work with over the last few years is most impressive--they're the future, and the various tours should, imo, be looking to them/working better with them to reach out to wider audiences

I don't think promotional videos are meant to be physics lessons. The crappy ad was just as bad as the crappy "journalism" in that article, but not because it tried to make rough associations between fast things.

if editorials have no place in journalism then there's not much of a reason for any public forums to exist

Gotta love how people just come right out and tell you how they feel when they're hiding behind anonymity... I would say welcome to DCGR, but you have obviously been around long enough...lol Keep writing man.:thmbup:

To be frank, I didn't realize that I was conversing with the author of the article, having not carefully read the earlier posts. This was my mistake. I would have (should have) been less blunt in any case. However my criticisms still stand and my anonymity does not impact their validity. If colucc wants to discuss journalism with a writer and editor, he can contact me privately.

Meh. It was an editorial and was just fine. I reckon you doth protest too much.

Its not totally their fault... well maybe one of them was, lol. The market just isn't big enough yet for traditional marketing to really have an effect. They have a small subset of people that are probably gonna watch, whatever their plan is, and a very large group of people that don't even know we exist. The question is, when will it hit a critical mass...

Its not totally their fault... well maybe one of them was, lol. The market just isn't big enough yet for traditional marketing to really have an effect. They have a small subset of people that are probably gonna watch, whatever their plan is, and a very large group of people that don't even know we exist. The question is, when will it hit a critical mass...

Finland :D

This.?? I'm not sure what exactly the DGPT was shooting for here but it seems they missed the mark(any mark, every mark).

Besides not being an irony, small or great, no disc thrown by a professional accelerates at all, excepting drop-ins or near vertical putts.

Sure it does. Between reachback and release.

But semantically, you're correct, no disc thrown by a professional accelerates ;)

I have had some putts accelerate... Throw a 10ft putt into a head wind nose up and watch it accelerate as it passes by you on the way to a 30fter, lol...

Sure it does. Between reachback and release.

But semantically, you're correct, no disc thrown by a professional accelerates ;)

Wait, the disc would be constantly accelerating in flight given that acceleration (in physics, not common vernacular) = ∆v/t, no?

The disc is losing speed from the moment it leaves the hand, and its final position >0m away from its starting position, so therefore the disc is negatively accelerating?

It's been awhile since I've had a Physics class though.

Wait, the disc would be constantly accelerating in flight given that acceleration (in physics, not common vernacular) = ∆v/t, no?

The disc is losing speed from the moment it leaves the hand, and its final position >0m away from its starting position, so therefore the disc is negatively accelerating?

It's been awhile since I've had a Physics class though.

I tend to communicate in commmon vernacular unless specifically addressing an audience educated in a specialized subject... though common sense seems in fact to be a specialized subject considering the number of people who belive that a thrown object increases in speed for a time after release...

I tend to communicate in commmon vernacular unless specifically addressing an audience educated in a specialized subject... though common sense seems in fact to be a specialized subject considering the number of people who belive that a thrown object increases in speed for a time after release...

Who said a thrown object increases in speed after release?

If you're implying that I did, that's not what I said. I said it accelerates. Acceleration is ∆v/t, where v is velocity and t is time. Acceleration can be negative.