• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Glass Blown Open

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So it's looking like the will be some pretty big changes to the pool assignments this year along with the addition of the Cottonwood Falls course. But the biggest thing in my mind is that the Open division is playing 3 rounds at the country club. I hate this idea.

Yes, but they are generally clustered around water. Look at aerial or satellite photographs of that part of the country, and you'll see lots of twisty green ribbons of trees winding through otherwise plain farm land. Those ribbons of trees are following twisty streams and creeks.

I'm wondering if the reason for the MPOs playing the same course three times is media related.

I'm wondering if the reason for the MPOs playing the same course three times is media related.

I will go out on a limb and say 100% media/spectator related. My guess is they will go all out on trying to do something to blow up coverage this year. That's really the only logical guess for 3 rounds at the Country club. Other than guaranteeing safe/playable lies, tees, etc, in the event of a down pour.

The funny thing is that the country club is the hardest for spectators to access.

We have Jeremy Rusco scheduled for the SmashBoxx podcast next week Tuesday. We can ask him about the changes directly. As far as media is concerned, I don't know if that was the reason or not. Other than Opie the entire city has very good Verizon coverage that we have been using for a few years. And even Opie had decent AT&T cell signal that we were able to use. It could be spectator related?

I do know that there is a push for limiting courses at all the DGPT, NT, & Majors in general. And I know that Opie wasn't exactly loved by some people due to water, wind, & rock greens. Emac did mention that they are going to use some extended version of the CC course that hasn't been played at the GBO, so I am interested in seeing that play out.

GBO has earned the right to do whatever they think is right. I trust the guys running that joint.

Probably easier for the media to record the tourney if it's in the open. But I suspect it's the desire to have players "grip it and rip it" that's a big factor. And while it may be fun to watch these pros throw discs a long way, it does make for a more boring tournament...

I will go out on a limb and say 100% media/spectator related. My guess is they will go all out on trying to do something to blow up coverage this year. That's really the only logical guess for 3 rounds at the Country club. Other than guaranteeing safe/playable lies, tees, etc, in the event of a down pour.

We'll find out from Jeremy in the podcast. But I'd guess it's more related to the MPO pros wanting to limit play to one or two courses for all the DGPT, NT, and Major events. If I recall correctly, only the Memorial, GBO, and Gentlemen's Club Challenge used more than two last year ... and Memorial was the first time because of the new addition of a course that year. I hear they may be going back to two.

and now MA40 full>

MA2 the first division to have more people waitlisted than the total spots registered.

Probably easier for the media to record the tourney if it's in the open. But I suspect it's the desire to have players "grip it and rip it" that's a big factor. And while it may be fun to watch these pros throw discs a long way, it does make for a more boring tournament...
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that some higher quality live coverage being more feasible if there was only one course to worry about arranging that for.

In all honesty, pretty much all of the GBO courses are relatively open. Peter, Olpe and Cottonwood Falls have some woodsy holes, but that's about it.

Does anyone have any insight into Cottonwood Falls. What will the course play like. Are there any images or info on the internet?

Last edited: