• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Las Vegas Challenge PDGA NT

apparently much tougher than being an idiot, sorry i just could not resist. :mad:

Ouch, why with you guys does it feel like a win if you call someone a name? And it always happens if they disagree with you in any way. He doesn't view the world the way I do therefore he's an idiot. That is, everyone but me is an idiot.

Lyle, I suggest removing your last two lines. Not accurate, germane, or amusing. If you want anyone to read and appreciate your diatribes, you could at least keep them completely relevant.

Good enough, but to make sure I understand, it's okay for Briscoe to go after Jamie saying you're smarter than that but not okay for me to tease Briscoe? Often enough, it seems people can dish it out but they aren't very good at taking it. Im pretty sure Jamie is smart, even when i dont agree with him. Countering Jamie's idea is fine, but don't dish it out if you can't take a bit back. Stick to the idea and leave personal comments aside?

Ouch, why with you guys does it feel like a win if you call someone a name? And it always happens if they disagree with you in any way. He doesn't view the world the way I do therefore he's an idiot. That is, everyone but me is an idiot.

You did not "disagree" with me- you made a feeble attempt at humor by calling me a pot farmer on a public forum. Would you consider it appropriate for me to post something along the lines of "lyle ross steals money from his place of employment- tee hee just joking"?

Good enough, but to make sure I understand, it's okay for Briscoe to go after Jamie saying you're smarter than that but not okay for me to tease Briscoe? Often enough, it seems people can dish it out but they aren't very good at taking it. Im pretty sure Jamie is smart, even when i dont agree with him. Countering Jamie's idea is fine, but don't dish it out if you can't take a bit back. Stick to the idea and leave personal comments aside?

Lile- Since your reading comprehension is apparently somewhat limited please allow me to point out that in the same post of Jamie's I quoted from he told those of us who disagreed with him that we were "smart enough to know" such and such and my response was merely in kind. I doubt very seriously that Jamie was affronted on a personal level by anything I posted and I am 100% certain he does not need you to be his white knight. If it offended you Kyle I apologize for that as well.

FWIW I feel biscoe and lyle have both contributed to the content of this discussion minus the whole going at each other thing.

I couldn't resist looking at spoilers any longer. Watched R3 last night and was going to try to hold on until later today to watch the final without knowing the result, but looking at udisc was too tempting. Nikko finally had a sub-par putting round and it took him out of contention. Still demonstrates that it takes being a complete player and not elite at one facet of the game to win big tournaments. Apparently he bounced back in the final round. I hope to see more of him near the top this year because he's such a wildcard.

Excited for both Eagle and Joel to have held it together. I was waiting for one or both of them to fold, but neither did. I am impressed. Good for Eagle to finally get a big win. He's been on the cusp for a while, and he has now shown than he can close the door. He's been on fire to start the season, and now the story line is whether he can maintain a high level of play during the grind. He started hot last year, too, and cooled off considerably as the tour dragged on.

I've been a bit of an Eagle detractor, thinking that him putting it together was going to come later rather than sooner. If he keeps winning, he'll stay motivated through the grind. If he has a couple heartbreaking losses at big events I still think he'll lose focus and fall off the wagon. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong because I want an end to the 2 horse race at the top. Most of us fans would gladly welcome a 3rd name up there consistently competing with Paul/Rick.

FPO is always a good watch, in general they seem to be having more fun out there; and playing the course more the way it was designed, not dropping huge hyzers or easily getting over OB every time.

I might be picking nits, but while I agree it can be more interesting to watch FPO in some cases because there's more shot-making, I'm not sure it's always because they're playing the course the way it was designed. I think it's more they're playing it the way most of us ordinary players would have to approach it.

Lots of these NT/DGPT courses, particularly big ball golf designs like this weekend's, are designed with the MPO guys in mind. As frustrating as it can be to watch them hyzer bomb over everything, those courses are set up with that in mind. Or more accurately, the terrain can't be used to prevent or dissuade the big hyzer bombs so they design it so it rewards the accurate distance throwers.

Lots of these NT/DGPT courses, particularly big ball golf designs like this weekend's, are designed with the MPO guys in mind. As frustrating as it can be to watch them hyzer bomb over everything, those courses are set up with that in mind. Or more accurately, the terrain can't be used to prevent or dissuade the big hyzer bombs so they design it so it rewards the accurate distance throwers.

This is very much the case. There were a number of holes where the commentators were even saying as much -- on those 450-500' par 3 holes, the women's field could be expected to pretty much all get a score of 3, save for one or two crazy long drives or throw-ins, and some errors.

MPO-oriented courses are boring to play, because where the guys have risk/reward on whether or not to go for the green off the tee with a big bomb on a typical par 3 hole, the women just plain can't get there, so after a full-power drive, we're left with a 100-200' upshot depending on ability, followed by a putt. It happens so often.

The problem scales up to the 600' and 800' (and beyond) holes, where it's full-power (low-control) drive, after full-power drive, and sometimes yet another full-power drive, just to get the green in sight. It's tedious.

I might be picking nits, but while I agree it can be more interesting to watch FPO in some cases because there's more shot-making, I'm not sure it's always because they're playing the course the way it was designed. I think it's more they're playing it the way most of us ordinary players would have to approach it.

Agree......I wish they would just stop doing this though.

And this is why I'm hoping Brewster Ridge gets the third round at Worlds compared to the boring Fox Run.

There are some OK converted ball golf courses out there, but they aren't in Henderson, Nevada. This tournament does not deserve to be an NT.

This event is only an NT because they moved the event to the golf course from the existing courses in town (which weren't NT-worthy at all). That's not to defend the design, but absent existing courses that can challenge the best of the best MPO players (and FPO secondarily), this is the only way events can go to get on the tour.

Not every great course has the staff or resources to run an NT level event, and by the same token, not every place that has the staff/resources to run an NT have great courses to host on. This, I imagine, is an example of the latter.

I was amazed at how the wind could affect the discs the way it did. Ive played on windy days but that was CRAZY! Being that windy on a burned out and totally dry golf course. Playing safe can be difficult when you really have no clue to how and what the wind is going to do to your disc. Play as smart as possible and get lucky, a lot! lol That was crazy!

Latest posts