• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Pdga Majors, NTs, and Tour events

I really like to see the pdga getting on board with the dgpt in their early scheduling on these events. Making them all A tiers is great too as last year it was funny to see every pro at B tiered pro tour events while no big names were at A tiers the same weekend. It seems, whether they like it or not, the pdga has conceded that working with the pro tour to strengthen the "top tier" tour schedule, making it sensible and inclusive to all parties, is the best direction. Its a shame they couldn't have taken this stance from jump street without forcing two seasons of the pro tour without their full backing (make em prove themselves I guess), but better late than never.

sjberry hit on the primary reason they didn't jump in with full support early on...despite Dodge's reputation with the Vibram Open, it's not as though he had a track record of running an entire series. So the hesitance to be overtly cooperative the first year is understandable.

But there was 100% open cooperation last year in setting this year's schedule (which was remarkable seeing how close Dodge came to burning some bridges during the whole Bradley Williams debacle). The 2017 NT/DGPT/DGWT/Major schedule was as geographically coordinated as anything we've seen since the start of the NT (with the one major exception of the BSF->Worlds cross-country thing). And the PDGA has been more than supportive of the Pro Tour this year with articles and promotion on the PDGA site/social media (and perhaps occasionally on the ground support via Gregwah and Downes). That's something they don't typically provide A-tiers at all.

There was also a very good reason that some of the DGPT events this year were B-tiers...they'd never been PDGA sanctioned before. Nobody gets to jump onto the A-tier schedule out of the blue, even if they're backed by the DGPT or maybe have a decent track record as an unsanctioned event. Now those events have proved themselves as PDGA events, they're allowed to upgrade to A-tier status for 2018.

The PDGA has its processes and standards to uphold. They shouldn't be expected to bend or break those for anyone, including the DGPT.

Yep, looking back that par 62 rounds have been in the mid 950s since 2014. Was that the period where the rough became less punitive? I imagine a few of the holes are pretty soft when played by 1020 rated players (2, 5, 7, 13, 15).

2 will certainly score poorly.
5 is tricky - I think it will score well
7 is harder than it looks.
Agree with you on 13 and 15.

The PDGA has its processes and standards to uphold. They shouldn't be expected to bend or break those for anyone, including the DGPT.

I understand this, but with the outpouring of support from the touring pro community that was evident after the first year of the dgpt, I would have thought a little preferential treatment would be considered. I fully get them wanting to uphold their protocols, but with Pro being part of their name and their stated goal of growth for the professional side of the sport, getting more on board after such a successful first dgpt season seemed warranted. Might be just my perception but I felt they could have been more welcoming.

Last edited:
I understand this, but with the outpouring of support from the touring pro community that was evident after the first year of the dgpt, I would have thought a little preferential treatment would be considered. I fully get them wanting to uphold their protocols, but with Pro being part of their name and their stated goal of growth for the professional side of the sport, getting more on board after such a successful first dgpt season seemed warranted. Might be just my perception but I felt they could have been more welcoming.

Well, considering they did all of this for the DGPT...

But there was 100% open cooperation last year in setting this year's schedule (which was remarkable seeing how close Dodge came to burning some bridges during the whole Bradley Williams debacle). The 2017 NT/DGPT/DGWT/Major schedule was as geographically coordinated as anything we've seen since the start of the NT (with the one major exception of the BSF->Worlds cross-country thing). And the PDGA has been more than supportive of the Pro Tour this year with articles and promotion on the PDGA site/social media (and perhaps occasionally on the ground support via Gregwah and Downes). That's something they don't typically provide A-tiers at all.

And considering the few B tiers they had were either first time tournaments or first time sanctioned tournaments, I'd say overall the PDGA did about all they were able to do without completely changing their protocols, which, since they have so many voices and stakeholders involved, is extremely important to avoid doing so as not to upset all the other TDs who bust their butts.

Now, I'd say the PDGA is saying "ok, you've had two years of running events, you've shown your tour is on another level, we'll work with you even more" is ok, as Dodge has shown that his series isn't just stringing tournaments together but is rather a genuine growth of the pro side movement. But I really don't see how the PDGA should have done more this year when they already expanded what they did for the tour compared to the first year.

XfvBCiw.jpg

I'd assume the DGPT finale will probably be in Jacksonville again; I could also see them ending up at Langley Pond in Aiken if the Augusta club pitches it, or Hobbs Farm in Georgia, or several other places. Otherwise, that's one excellent touring schedule.

However, I predict the Idlewild Open and/or the Great Lakes Open will sadly probably going to see a lot of top talent skip it again due to the Konopiste Open, as it seems most pros try to make the European Major trip a two or three week trip in Europe. There might be some top level guys who either leave for Europe late for the Great Lakes event or return early for Idlewild, but I'm betting those tournaments will mostly be the second tier touring pros and a lot of the regional pros. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and is a great change of pace to see new faces on the video coverage, but also somewhat of a bummer because it's fun to watch the best pros play each course.

Well, considering they did all of this for the DGPT...

And considering the few B tiers they had were either first time tournaments or first time sanctioned tournaments, I'd say overall the PDGA did about all they were able to do without completely changing their protocols, which, since they have so many voices and stakeholders involved, is extremely important to avoid doing so as not to upset all the other TDs who bust their butts.

Now, I'd say the PDGA is saying "ok, you've had two years of running events, you've shown your tour is on another level, we'll work with you even more" is ok, as Dodge has shown that his series isn't just stringing tournaments together but is rather a genuine growth of the pro side movement. But I really don't see how the PDGA should have done more this year when they already expanded what they did for the tour compared to the first year.

Go look back over the last 7 months at the PDGA announcements on their main page, you will find articles with scores and coverage for the USWDGC, US masters, PFDO, Masters worlds, Am and Jr worlds, Pro worlds, BSF, Masters Cup, Am world doubles, Konopiste Open, GBO, NCDGC, GCC and the Aussie open. Whose events are missing from that list? If the pdga really saw the dgwt and dgpt in the same light why would they cover one and not the other?

Last edited:
Go look back over the last 7 months at the PDGA announcements on their main page, you will find articles with scores and coverage for the USWDGC, US masters, PFDO, Masters worlds, Am and Jr worlds, Pro worlds, BSF, Masters Cup, Am world doubles, Konopiste Open, GBO, NCDGC, GCC and the Aussie open. Whose events are missing from that list? If the pdga really saw the dgwt and dgpt in the same light why would they cover one and not the other?

You are only looking at the PDGA "announcements". Go to the "Media" tab, click "news". Every single DGPT event had news stories featured on the front page of the PDGA before, during and after each DGPT event.

https://www.pdga.com/news

DGWT events got attention on the PDGA site because they were PDGA Majors, not because they were DGWT. PDGA staffers are on the ground at those events, providing the articles you're finding. The PDGA does that for all Majors and NTs. They don't generally send people to A-tiers to provide support/coverage. Despite that, PDGA social media (facebook, twitter, instagram, etc) did a good job promoting many of the DGPT events throughout the season...something they don't do for ordinary A and B-tiers.

The fact that for the last two years now, DGPT has gotten priority scheduling for its events is pretty clear evidence that the PDGA recognizes the importance of the tour. They don't have to do that. They could treat them the same as the 100+ other A-tiers on the schedule and let them apply to be a part of that process. Steve and the DGPT have a seat at the table, which is all they can really expect to have.

DGWT events got attention on the PDGA site because they were PDGA Majors, not because they were DGWT. PDGA staffers are on the ground at those events, providing the articles you're finding. The PDGA does that for all Majors and NTs. They don't generally send people to A-tiers to provide support/coverage. Despite that, PDGA social media (facebook, twitter, instagram, etc) did a good job promoting many of the DGPT events throughout the season...something they don't do for ordinary A and B-tiers.

The fact that for the last two years now, DGPT has gotten priority scheduling for its events is pretty clear evidence that the PDGA recognizes the importance of the tour. They don't have to do that. They could treat them the same as the 100+ other A-tiers on the schedule and let them apply to be a part of that process. Steve and the DGPT have a seat at the table, which is all they can really expect to have.

You are one of the most respectful and knowledgeable members this site has and I commend you. Genuine thanks

2 will certainly score poorly.
5 is tricky - I think it will score well
7 is harder than it looks.
Agree with you on 13 and 15.

I agree with the above. 2 would probably be fixed by making it a par 4 rather than 5, forcing players to shape a shot onto the slope off the tee if they want a birdie.

I think 11 is pretty soft for the NT field.

I will say this though, there is no OB on the course and virtually no penalty for missing the fairway and throwing onto the adjacent fairway in the USADGC setup. If you were to force those big dives to find the fairway through OB on holes like 3, 13, 11, 18, ect. it would make scoring much harder.

While being a fun park course in a nice location, Golden Gate Park, doesn't seem suitable for a DGPT event.

I thought I saw the name Golden Gate park flash by during that vid Steve posted yesterday in the DGPT thread. So I figured that was the course they were using.

While being a fun park course in a nice location, Golden Gate Park, doesn't seem suitable for a DGPT event.

Parking would seem to be an issue and the layout would have to be stretched right? It's still a super fun spot.

SF event likely at Gleneagles DGC

I've got my money on this as well.

I thought I saw the name Golden Gate park flash by during that vid Steve posted yesterday in the DGPT thread. So I figured that was the course they were using.

According to what Steve told me, they are still locking down the course. Either way, pumped as a fan, and for the players, to have back-to-back NorCal events.

Looks like DGPT is really widening the gap between itself and the Jussi Disc Golf World Tour.

I'd imagine the TDs looked at cost/benefit and/or work/benefit and decided it wasn't worth it/didn't want to do it.

Which, if your event was as big as it was before and as well attended as it was before, I don't see why you would need the DGPT to grow your event, and if it was more of a hassle than it was worth, why bother?

OR the DGPT could have not wanted the Nick Hyde Memorial back

OR OR the Nick Hyde guys could have just said nawh, we good homie

OR OR OR...ok I have no more conjecture to provide :(

Matt Siri (From Facebook) - "Thank God I don't have to deal with DGPT anymore."

Parking would seem to be an issue and the layout would have to be stretched right? It's still a super fun spot.

I've got my money on this as well.

According to what Steve told me, they are still locking down the course. Either way, pumped as a fan, and for the players, to have back-to-back NorCal events.

Parking at GG park is actually not bad at all surprisingly. They also already stretch the course for the SF Safari (they add in an area across the street, and put up temp holes). I'd imagine they do the same for the SF Open if it's at GG park. All that said, I agree it'll probably be at GE.