• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Pdga Majors, NTs, and Tour events

https://www.pdga.com/pdga-partners-udisc-2018-national-tour-and-pro-worlds
The PDGA is constantly looking for ways to grow the sport of disc golf, a task that comes in many shapes and sizes and one we cannot do alone. We are always on the lookout for others that share our passion and vision and who are creating best-of-breed solutions. Today, we are thrilled to announce a new partnership with UDisc who will provide live scoring and statistics for the 2018 PDGA National Tour Elite Series as well as the 2018 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships.
:clap:

XfvBCiw.jpg

This map needs an update, because it looks really good.

I don't expect american touring pros in Tallinn, now that the DGWT is canceled.
The main conflicts will happen at the end of June and the beginning of July.

The Tyyni (biggest event in Europe in terms of number of players) will have some Lat and DD players attending by the end of June. Then, I don't see these people going back to GLO then going to Konopiste. Especially because there is the Scandinavian Open (sponsored by Lat) at the exact same date of the GLO.
Also, after the Konopiste Open, there is another A-Tier event in Sweden (The Open at Ale), which can attract a lot of players given the awesome venue (check it out !!!).

So I expect a lot of players to skip both Utah Open and Great Lakes Open to play some events in Europe (A-Tiers, so prize moneys should be pretty good). The Sula Open might also replace Utah Open in some touring calendars.

5 big events in 5 weeks, something that has never happened in Europe before.

Ledgestone Open will also be a big head scratcher for the best Euro Players (KJ, Simon, ...) as it happens the week before the European Championships (the most prestigious tournament in Europe).

https://www.pdga.com/national-tour-bonus-rewarding-more-players-2018

The 2018 PDGA National Tour once again will put $35,000 worth of bonus money on the table, and this season more players will have a crack at the pot.

A total of 15 Open players and 10 Open Women's players will now be rewarded at the end of the season-long circuit, the PDGA Board of Directors announced today. Those numbers were 10 and five in 2017, respectively. Players earn points for their best four finishes in each of the series' first five tournaments plus their showing at the Ed Headrick Disc Golf Hall of Fame Classic, the tour finale.

In 2017, the payouts trended toward being top-heavy, with $10,000 going to Open National Tour Champion Paul McBeth and $5,000 to Open Women's National Tour Champion Paige Pierce. Though each winner will pocket less this year, the spoils will now be funneled to the players who come in 11th through 15th in MPO and 6th through 10th in FPO.

A total of 15 Open players and 10 Open Women's players will now be rewarded at the end of the season-long circuit, the PDGA Board of Directors announced today. Those numbers were 10 and five in 2017, respectively.

(Emphasis added.)

Nitpick: when two figures are in the same sentence, either write them both out as words, or write them both out as numbers: "10 and 5" or "ten and five," but never "10 and five." I suspect this was done as above because some style guides indicate to write numbers less than ten as words, and ten or higher as numbers.

I can't help myself.

(Emphasis added.)

Nitpick: when two figures are in the same sentence, either write them both out as words, or write them both out as numbers: "10 and 5" or "ten and five," but never "10 and five." I suspect this was done as above because some style guides indicate to write numbers less than ten as words, and ten or higher as numbers.

I can't help myself.

You're not alone.

Shouldn't the amount of bonus money be growing from year to year? I'm not sure where the $35,000 actually comes from but it seems weird that the bonus amount isn't increasing but the number of people getting a slice of the pie is. If the sport was really growing at the rate at which some people believe, wouldn't companies be more willing to toss in some money so that their sponsored player digs even deeper to get that cash? This could only benefit that company because the player would be winning multiple tournaments and getting the name out there even more.

Unless they pull this cash straight from entry fees from these events (a pre determined amount from each entry at each event is what I'm getting at) and don't expect them to grow in size, then I can see why the number isn't increasing.

I suppose companies could also see it as a better investment to sponsor events (plural) so that they can get their name out to more people than those who already know it instead of pitching money into a pot that doesn't have their name attached to it.

I'll stop arguing with myself and let others help me understand this.

Shouldn't the amount of bonus money be growing from year to year? I'm not sure where the $35,000 actually comes from but it seems weird that the bonus amount isn't increasing but the number of people getting a slice of the pie is. If the sport was really growing at the rate at which some people believe, wouldn't companies be more willing to toss in some money so that their sponsored player digs even deeper to get that cash? This could only benefit that company because the player would be winning multiple tournaments and getting the name out there even more.

Unless they pull this cash straight from entry fees from these events (a pre determined amount from each entry at each event is what I'm getting at) and don't expect them to grow in size, then I can see why the number isn't increasing.

I suppose companies could also see it as a better investment to sponsor events (plural) so that they can get their name out to more people than those who already know it instead of pitching money into a pot that doesn't have their name attached to it.

I'll stop arguing with myself and let others help me understand this.

It made a huge jump from $10,000 in 2016 to $35,000 in 2017. It will be a few years before it jumps up again.

In theory, the bonus money comes from the $25 additional that Pros pay in PDGA member fees versus Ams.

In theory, the bonus money comes from the $25 additional that Pros pay in PDGA member fees versus Ams.

Considering the leap from 2016 to 2017, I'd say that a lot of the bonus money is coming from outside the organization. I heard rumor that it was a generous anonymous donor last year. Either that donor stepped up again or there's been an increase in sponsorships to match that previous contribution.

(Emphasis added.)

I can't help myself.

In "formal" writing, spell out numbers that can be written in one or two words; use numerals for other numbers.

BTW: This web site is not "formal".

..."Board Treasurer and NT/Majors Committee Chair Nate Heinold spearheaded the push to flatten the payout and dive deeper into the competitor pool. He said the goal was to help incentivize more players to travel to National Tour events and to reward overall consistency. He pointed to players like Nate Perkins, who came in 13th place on the Open side after competing in five NTs, and Lisa Fajkus, who finished just outside the Open Women’s bonus after hitting four of the six events. Players in their position in 2018 will get an extra $600 and $700 for their season-long efforts.

“What we have heard is tournaments need to be this way, so by extension we took it to be the NT payout should be flatter and deeper because that’s going to help more of our players stay on tour,” Heinold said

ehhhhhhhhh... So paying 5 more people in Open and Open Women is going to incentivize more players to travel to multiple NT events. I don't agree. If these players were not already in the top 10/5 in MPO and FPO, they likely are not going to end up there even if playing more events (maybe not Fajkus, she could crack that top 5 mark this year for sure). The payouts start at $800 and $700 at the first new spot for MPO and FPO, respectively, then go down from there. With travel costs and entry fees any player that decides "now I have a shot" is going to have to play almost all the NT events and guys like Perkins are likely losing money on the road, but hey, that $600 (13th place in 2018) is going to change everything. I see this as a way to be "nice" and in no way do I think it's going to change anyone's mind who is not already going to attend a bunch of NT events.

"What we have heard is tournaments need to be this way"...... Look, if you're not one of the elite guys that are finishing in the top 10 in just about every event and has a major sponsor you either tour and lose money or work a regular job and do the weekend warrior thing. Having deeper payouts really means taking money away from the best players who are already getting small payouts (in real world terms) and funneling it down so a few extra guys/girls can get a couple hundred bucks. None of these changes are going to allow some 1020 rated carpenter to quit his/her job and GO ON TOUR. If they were not already doing that, this won't change it.

The goal here seems to be getting more people "out on tour" because filling any given event seems to be a non issue in recent years. Trickling down small purses is not going to make that happen. Our pool of talent is shallow because it's very difficult to break through and make disc golf a career. The PDGA needs to keep the payouts as is and keep working on exposure and maybe one day there will be a major sponsor interested in dumping money into the NT series or other pro tour, or maybe individual player contracts will allow for a larger group of touring professionals.

This change goes both ways. It's no going to kill anyone at the top either, but I don't buy the reasoning. This "everyone deserves something" mentality is so deeply entrenched in our sport. It made sense when events did not fill, but they do now, so I can't get behind it.

Heinold is only bringing to the NT the strategy that is at the heart of the DGPT: the more players who can make a decent amount of money on a regular basis, the easier it is for them to stay on tour. I don't think there's any question that there has been a notable increase in the number of regular touring players in the last couple years, due in no small part to the DGPT supplementing the NT/Major schedule.

It's not a matter of "everyone deserves something". It's a matter of spreading the wealth just a bit more in hopes of sustaining more players' abilities to be full time players.

Writing out nine but using a numeral for 10 is basic AP style. The concept of formal writing doesn't mean anything because people don't define formal in the same way.

I've always wondered why AP is attached to spelling out 1-9 when presenting the number numerically and not alphabetically saves space, which mattered in a world of printed column inches. Every word from 11 on is longer than any word that precedes it. But presenting everything numerically would save the most space. Well, some words are five letters, like 40 and 50, which are the same length as 3, 7, and 8 when written out.

But as if often the case with style and grammar rules, 8 million websites can tell you how or when to do something but few ever present a why. It's been 13 years since I used AP regularly, and if I knew the why then, I have since forgotten.