• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 2018- What is everyone's longest disc these days?

I used Google Earth. I think its pretty damn accurate too. I've measured things on there I know the actual distance of.

Agreed. As long as you zoom in enough it's within like 3' I find. IF you know exact landmarks. Sometimes I throw in parks that have baseball fields nearby. They list the distances on the fences. Google map/Earth the distance from home plate to the fence at those spots like L/C/R field and it's usually bang on...if off it's like 2'.

Whenever you throw somewhere new, just find a spot by a tree/sidewalk/something in particular, and throw to/at something else and you can then get those landmarks on the map later. If you're pacing off less than 30-50' from your landmarks you should have a decent idea, at least within 15' or so of how far you are throwing. At worst people definitely won't be claiming 450' when it's 325' by this method.

As far as distance, I still get a beat star Destroyer as far as anything on golf lines. I might get the Sheriff farther if I'm letting it do a wider flight, it has more turn but enough fade to make it flex out at the end if it's turned over. Have you tried the Sheriff? I have only thrown a couple of Shrykes, and they are very easy to throw and controllable, but the fade has kicked in sooner than I liked on them. They were pretty fresh though.

I have not put a caliper on one, but is the Trespass really bigger rimmed than the Wraith?

Not certain. Could just be the shape of the lower wing. It feels bigger in my hand and definitely flies more overstable. (depending on plastics compared)

Even with not playing much in 2017 because my wife and I had our first child, I somehow managed to gain some more distance on the backhand that I've been working on since I started playing. I finally cleared 400' a few times with my least stable Destroyer, and managed 426'(I think) with a Star Shryke on my last day throwing after throwing a Star Thunderbird, two Echo Wraiths, and three Star Destroyers all in the 375-385 range. I'm excited to see how far that Shryke might go if I hit it right on a day when I'm nudging 400' with a Destroyer. This Shryke really did impress me. I always have a LRF in my bag, so I'm confident that all these distances are accurate to +/- a yard or two.

Longest disc(s) ever would still be the ESP Nuke and Prototype GStar Daedalus that I was throwing the first year I played. I would drive a 4-wheeler out to the back of a hay field and practice forehands, then use the rangefinder and bounce it off the 4-wheeler if I managed an especially long one. It was slightly downhill, but my longest measured throw was 186 yards(558') with that Nuke and 182 yards(546') with that Daedalus. I was only ever able to throw a Destroyer just past 450' in all those sessions. I stuck with and still throw Destroyers, though, because even though that Nuke and Daedalus had more absolute potential, they'd also turn and burn or turn and never come back and end up 100+ to the left most of the time.

Right now, my longest thrower is a 169g sparkle lucid Sheriff. I like my Trespasses, but the sheriff comes back a little more consistently after I turn it. Had my longest drive ever with it on a hole I never reach - went 20' past a 425' basket (with light tailwind).

But very happy that, with some form improvements, I'm consistently reaching baskets in the 350-375 range with Trespasses and seasoned Enforcers.

My power improved a good bit last year, so this year, more of my effort will go into improving consistency and putting.

My distance has fallen a bit in the last year or two but Star Wraith is still the longest for me. Haven't thrown a Pro one in a while, may have to dabble with those again.

My G* are all super flippy now. The Star currently in my bag is getting to the point of no return on turnovers- I'm really only using it for all out max D or lower power hyzer flips/low ceiling.

The Champ Shryke is pretty much my go to distance driver currently. It is filling the role of a well seasoned Star Destroyer for me, but straight out of the box and in Champ plastic. It has more forward glide for me as well, which means I don't have to throw it as hard as a Destroyer to get the same distance.

Yeah, I suppose at some point my Shrykes will beat in and become too flippy. The 168G* I have in my bag is already a touch flippy. If you release it flat its going right and most likely not coming back. Sight hyzerflip and it'll usually go somewhere in the vicinity of straight.... about 450'. I liked the Tern for distance, but I can get 30' more with the Shryke on basically the same line.

I have not put a caliper on one, but is the Trespass really bigger rimmed than the Wraith?

Yeah. Not by much, but it is. Flies noticeably faster too. I get better distance with the Trespass. Its more like a beat star Destroyer with better glide.

Agreed. As long as you zoom in enough it's within like 3' I find. IF you know exact landmarks. Sometimes I throw in parks that have baseball fields nearby. They list the distances on the fences. Google map/Earth the distance from home plate to the fence at those spots like L/C/R field and it's usually bang on...if off it's like 2'.

Whenever you throw somewhere new, just find a spot by a tree/sidewalk/something in particular, and throw to/at something else and you can then get those landmarks on the map later. If you're pacing off less than 30-50' from your landmarks you should have a decent idea, at least within 15' or so of how far you are throwing. At worst people definitely won't be claiming 450' when it's 325' by this method.

As far as distance, I still get a beat star Destroyer as far as anything on golf lines. I might get the Sheriff farther if I'm letting it do a wider flight, it has more turn but enough fade to make it flex out at the end if it's turned over. Have you tried the Sheriff? I have only thrown a couple of Shrykes, and they are very easy to throw and controllable, but the fade has kicked in sooner than I liked on them. They were pretty fresh though.

I like to throw at places I know the distances of. A couple months ago I tossed from behind home plate of a high school baseball field. Dead center was marked at 380' and it had a 25' batter's eye behind the fence. I got my best G* Shryke over it a couple times and a blizzard Boss over it a couple others. The other place I throw at is a high school football field. I throw from one goalpost and generally bomb discs well past the other goalpost and up a big hill. Very easy to see quickly how well you're throwing.

I had better luck with the Octane than the Wave. The Wave I had seemed to lack glide and wanted to fade hard at the end of flight. I like a few of those overmold discs, but none of them fly like the Shryke for me. The Axiom Vanish is a nice one though. I can mash that thing well over 400'. Little flippy. Similar to a Tern.

Waves can vary. I have Neutron Waves in 153g, 163g, and 173g. The 153g is super flippy. The 163g is actually more stable than the 173g(!). The PLH on the 163g is visibly higher than the others. The 163g flies best for me now.

I like to throw at places I know the distances of. A couple months ago I tossed from behind home plate of a high school baseball field. Dead center was marked at 380' and it had a 25' batter's eye behind the fence. I got my best G* Shryke over it a couple times and a blizzard Boss over it a couple others. The other place I throw at is a high school football field. I throw from one goalpost and generally bomb discs well past the other goalpost and up a big hill. Very easy to see quickly how well you're throwing.

I took my rangefinder (from deer hunting) to the schoolyards where I throw, and also to the courses I play most, and used it to measure landmarks such as trees, fence posts, the baskets, etc. Good enough to get the general idea of distances...

Pro Destro or Champ Roadrunner. They both go pretty far but I have no idea what my max distance is. Just not something I go out of my way to test/measure. I'm more concerned with how many times I had to throw a frisbee to complete a round than how far I threw them while completing the round.

Either my Fission Photon or my Plasma Insanity.

I used to throw pretty far but then I injured my back badly at work. This past year I've had to pretty much relearn how to throw from the ground up. That being said, after all of the physical therapy combined with my new buttery form, I'm almost back to my old power levels.

I use a 173 gram neutron teleport by mvp for my maximum controlled distance. I can throw fast enough to elicit some turn but it always has enough to fade back at the end. I can force it over on a high flex line too if I want. This is my main driver now.

For tail winds and absolute max distance I use a 175 neutron relativity. Thrown high on a hyped flip line this thing absolutely crussshhheessss. It flips up flat, then turns, cruises, and gradually fades back of given enough air.

For headwinds or big ole hyzers I use a 175 neutron dimension. Very high speed stable with solid low speed fade. Crush it as hard as I want and it won't flip unless I put some anny on it.

These are the only mvp discs I bag besides a volt. I've put them up against discs like the defender, pd2, destroyer, enforcer, etc, and these mvp drivers always seem to win out.

Oh, these are all thrown rhbh for the record

Haven't been getting to play much so my bag is minimal and disced down. But I'm consistently hitting 250+ with my Truth on golf lines... so that I guess. Once it starts scraping 300' I'll start working a speed 9ish stable driver back in.

I rarely throw any discs out of what I bag that are good for all out max distance. I can throw flex shots 425 regularly. I have had several rare bombs in my life though.

Z Nuke - 500ft measured via google earth

2006 pre avery destroyer - 500 ft via Google earth

163 Prodigy D1 - 470 ft via Google earth

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Destroyer for me, but I haven't really tried anything else for max distance in a long time. I do have a couple shrykes on the way so we will see how that goes. I can hit 400 with destroyers on a somewhat regular basis.

Latest posts