• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Of course McBeth is going to Discraft. Haven't you seen his Instagram post? He's getting used to the Force.

Stormtroopers don't use the Force; they use blasters.

The Blaster DT is A Gateway disc. Imagine McBeth throwing Wizards.

That one I'd be very surprised by. DD doesn't really have a JK Aviar equivalent.

Lack of a "JK Aviar equivalent" isn't going to stand in the way of Conrad changing sponsors if the offer is right. A player of his caliber can make something else work in its place in exchange for a deal that keeps him on the road more comfortably than his previous one.

Lack of a "JK Aviar equivalent" isn't going to stand in the way of Conrad changing sponsors if the offer is right. A player of his caliber can make something else work in its place in exchange for a deal that keeps him on the road more comfortably than his previous one.

I thought about it a bit, and the Marshal actually is kinda similar. But also, James definitely isn't the most active guy on social media, and DD seems to want that. Conrad's my favorite MPO player and I think he'd be successful anywhere, but he doesn't exactly move much product. Who knows?

Part of the massive Discraft move that makes sense to me is that their disc lineup needs a refresh anyway. So creating a bunch of new molds is what they were going to do already, and those molds will sell better will Paul's name on them.

Honestly just a facelift/branding or pro in the bags on a lot of existing stuff would help. I started playing in the last 5 years and Discraft stuff has never been cool or sought after where I've played. Yet basically all of their molds I have tried have been very good along with their plastic durability, and I bag 2-3 of their molds now depending on conditions.

Having a reason for people to rediscover those winner molds would really help them out. Look at how old the Destroyer, Roc, and Teebird are...they're not new releases, yet they sell a ton and people are excited to pick up new Destroyers all the time.

I probably see 5 Buzzzes per any other Discraft disc in other players' bags. And definitely not everyone has Buzzzes. Word of mouth on classic molds does work, but if nobody is throwing them...then it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Honestly just a facelift/branding or pro in the bags on a lot of existing stuff would help. I started playing in the last 5 years and Discraft stuff has never been cool or sought after where I've played. Yet basically all of their molds I have tried have been very good along with their plastic durability, and I bag 2-3 of their molds now depending on conditions.

Having a reason for people to rediscover those winner molds would really help them out. Look at how old the Destroyer, Roc, and Teebird are...they're not new releases, yet they sell a ton and people are excited to pick up new Destroyers all the time.

I probably see 5 Buzzzes per any other Discraft disc in other players' bags. And definitely not everyone has Buzzzes. Word of mouth on classic molds does work, but if nobody is throwing them...then it doesn't work.

Discraft shouldn't have called it the Force with all the nonsense copyright crap with Star Wars.

That being said I know that when I see a pro throwing Teebirds/Rocs/etc and they switch brands I watch those in the bag videos to see what is working for them in those slots.

That's the power of Innova. How many discs are compared to the Innova OG disc? Teebird, Roc, Firebird, Destroyer, Avair, Gator...

Discraft has a bunch of really good molds. But they are lacking more plastic options for certain discs. They need better marketing. They need more special runs (argue the problems with special releases all you want, they move plastic. It's a very good business model). And lastly they need a face. Is there a better face than Paul McBeth right now? That's why we're hearing all the speculation about him leaving. Are they talking to Paul? They damn well should be. They should have been reaching out to him and a bunch of other pro's every year.

Now back to your regularly scheduled internet...

Since no one jumped on the Barsby leaving wagon I need another wild guess. Something even more out there this time. Nate Sexton joins DD and we see the Sexy Felon. Think of the marketing campaign! Super Bowl commercials with convicted felons being sexy. Now that's Juicy.

Discraft shouldn't have called it the Force with all the nonsense copyright crap with Star Wars.

That being said I know that when I see a pro throwing Teebirds/Rocs/etc and they switch brands I watch those in the bag videos to see what is working for them in those slots.

That's the power of Innova. How many discs are compared to the Innova OG disc? Teebird, Roc, Firebird, Destroyer, Avair, Gator...

Discraft has a bunch of really good molds. But they are lacking more plastic options for certain discs. They need better marketing. They need more special runs (argue the problems with special releases all you want, they move plastic. It's a very good business model). And lastly they need a face. Is there a better face than Paul McBeth right now? That's why we're hearing all the speculation about him leaving. Are they talking to Paul? They damn well should be. They should have been reaching out to him and a bunch of other pro's every year.

As a fan of Paul I hope he moves to DC. McWasp and McChallySS (or whatever putter is closest to an Aviar that is beadless) might be a mouthful, but would sell like wild fire.

Out of curiosity, how is it not tampering if Discraft has been negotiating with Paul, to the point those claiming to be in-the-know are saying it's a done deal, while he is still under contract with Innova?

Out of curiosity, how is it not tampering if Discraft has been negotiating with Paul, to the point those claiming to be in-the-know are saying it's a done deal, while he is still under contract with Innova?

There is no collective bargaining agreement between different manufacturers. There is no such thing as tampering. This isn't like the nfl where it's in the best interests of competing teams to play nice and agree to a set of rules for these kinds of things.

At the end of he day these brands are jockeying for market share. There's no reason to uphold a gentleman's code here.

There is no collective bargaining agreement between different manufacturers. There is no such thing as tampering. This isn't like the nfl where it's in the best interests of competing teams to play nice and agree to a set of rules for these kinds of things.

At the end of he day these brands are jockeying for market share. There's no reason to uphold a gentleman's code here.

Good point. This essentially occurred to me just after I posted.

There's risk in picking someone up who's at or near the top of their game. If his production falls off with the new plastic, the fanboys can point to that as the reason. Probably would have little or nothing to do with it, but it's still there. From a marketing point of view, I think it makes more sense to go after the young up and comers, and hope you hit the next star. A lot cheaper, too.

I very much agree with this. However, i would argue that Paul switching sponsors will generate a lot more sales for his new sponsor than Paul staying with Innova will for them. Everyone following Pauls bag has already picked up what he is throwing right now. This is not the case for a new sponsor.

Latest posts