• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Kraits?? That's the biggest shocker to me.

Smart move by Infinite, although I think it will be a while before the market for current stock McBeth stamps to move much above current stock prices. There are just too many out there; the market is saturated.

Yes, in a few years, people will lust after 4X embossed McBeth Destroyers. But this time next year, they'll still be on eBay brand new for $15.

They sell a ton of discs! They're number two in Europe behind Innova. Was surprised how many they moved when Seppo told me.

That is indeed surprising. Even here in the land of Cale Leiviska I rarely see Prodigy on the tees. I visit multiple brick and mortal DG stores in my regular work travels, and they all report slow going with Prodigy. They definitely have some good plastic (that nomenclature tho - can we not have number for both the discs and the plastic type?), and the baskets are top-notch.

Conversely, I continue to see Discraft, particularly mids and putters, a lot in the mid-west. I see a lot of Trilogy everywhere. DiscMania with "serious players". And Innova, of course, dominates.

Regardless of disc sponsor, I strongly believe McBeast will be carrying a Grip bag again. My evidence is the Nicholas Carl 'In the Bag' that Paul shared where Nicholas mentions having Paul's loaned 3x bag with plans to give it back to him.

I think that's exactly what is going to happen. You think people are going to wait until they see Paul's 2019 tournament results to start buying discs with his name on them from another manufacturer?

In the kind of numbers that justify this? Be interesting to see.

BTW - if Paul throws your plastic, is that the same as stepping up your game?

I'm as surprised as anyone to see Paul leave Innova, but they have definitely always been a fiscally conservative company. I've never known whether to respect that or question it. I'm not big on risk, but I always felt they could have spent more to promote the sport in the patent days. And since then, I feel their improved marketing has been entirely driven by both Paul the advent of serious product competition.

I assume they will sign Kevin Jones, and he probably has a good a chance as anyone to have a run of titles.

So curious to see where Paul signs. Definitely will create some drama for next year. Unless he quits, which is also understandable.

Regardless of disc sponsor, I strongly believe McBeast will be carrying a Grip bag again. My evidence is the Nicholas Carl 'In the Bag' that Paul shared where Nicholas mentions having Paul's loaned 3x bag with plans to give it back to him.

Actually, that was Paul's in the bag video;)

This is such a huge deal. Paul Mcbeth is going to be the first pro disc golfer to make 7 figures a year playing disc golf full time. It makes since that discmania would sign Simon to a 5 year deal. I think the pro side of our sport is going to explode.

I reckon someone more interested in this stuff than I should start another McBeth-free pros switching sponsors thread and mods could rename this "As the McBeth Turns". Maybe even split off a " Why is Prodigy still a thing?" thread.

I'm going to side with Lyleloss on this one and say McBeth just isn't a big enough name anymore to warrant his own thread. There are too many others who are just too close in generating post counts and speculation for that to make any sense at all.

I said it a few dozen pages ago, but that was at least a week ago. So, in internet time, it's prehistoric... Anyway, I'll try again.

Let's all stop putting 'Mc' in front of every word when talking about Paul McBeth. It's (still) McAnnoying...

I have to admit, the "I'm gonna buy plastic cause Paul threw it," mindset is a different one for me. Is the prediction that all of the long-term Innova/McBeth fanbois are gonna follow him to DiscPaul?

THE STOVE IS LIT. Everyone strike while it's hot.

iu

How many DC spots have you seen in the past three years? None. Even the ones they made were more about technique than selling a player or product. Take a look at DD marketing. Look at Innova's. I don't see anything like that for Discraft. It's a new skill set that they've never worked at.

Discraft began posting to Youtube again this year with disc reviews, in the bags, and technique videos. They publish stories daily on Instagram and add new posts regularly. Same goes for tweets. Maybe you aren't seeing them because you don't follow or search for them, but new unbiased players will see the same exposure for them as any other company.

I've always rooted for Paul, being a Cali native. If he joins Discraft, I'll have more reasons to cheer him on, because I can definitely see the "Discrap" backlash if he doesn't play well. It's a gamble, but I'd place my bets on Paul crushing it with whichever company he goes with. That dude loves pressure.

I have to admit, the "I'm gonna buy plastic cause Paul threw it," mindset is a different one for me. Is the prediction that all of the long-term Innova/McBeth fanbois are gonna follow him to DiscPaul?

I threw Destroyers when they came out. I don't really care who's name is on a good thrower :)

People throw what they throw for a lot of different reasons of course, and surely the influence of someone at the top of a sport has some impact on sales.

it's going to be fun to watch me thinks :)

I'm driving down to Panama City this weekend to launch all of my Innova discs into the ocean, then probably just sit alone on the sand sobbing quietly for a while.

this is actually a very interesting point. I thought Paul's comment on that video was kind of strange at the time, but just brushed it off. makes much more sense now.

Latest posts