• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I wonder how many McBeth/innova fanboyz will actually switch over to DC. Obviously the DC guys are gonna jump all over his discs, especially a FAF Z Zone(I would imagine the first run of those will be gone on preorders before they even ship from the factory), but how many of those diehard Innova guys are really gonna jump ship to justify a 250k a year deal?...

I wonder how many McBeth/innova fanboyz will actually switch over to DC. Obviously the DC guys are gonna jump all over his discs, especially a FAF Z Zone(I would imagine the first run of those will be gone on preorders before they even ship from the factory), but how many of those diehard Innova guys are really gonna jump ship to justify a 250k a year deal?...

I feel like the focus isn't on stealing already loyal Innova customers, especially those customers who are primarily McBeth fanbois. That's not to say a bunch of people aren't going to start throwing Discraft because McBeth does now, like how DD/L64 exploded to an extent, but it feels like the play here is betting on the continued growth of disc golf and that at least a chunk of that growth is going to be driven by the pro side, and wanting to get eyeballs on your product and what it can do so you can convince all those new players to go out and buy a Buzzz or a Wasp or Undertaker or whatever because that person remembers the insane shot that guy who won the tournament threw with that disc.

So is Doss full time in the brewery? Anyone got the skinny on why he's not playing as much? Injury? How about Val is she still active in FPO?

He has been dealing with a shoulder problem this year. Don't know if that has factored into his decision or if he is just burnt out or if he just really likes brewing beer... or a combination of all three...

Dunno about injury or burnout, but they're not getting any younger, and the chance to start up a business that they can operate for years is something worth doing. I hope it works out for them. :thmbup:

So Ultiworld has a seriously truncated "player tracker" and only 1 unknown spot now with Ricky.

Quick check : how many top 25-50ish people do we have as unknowns still? FPO/MPO

Have to remember that disc golfers are contracted employees. They aren't paid benefits, such as health care, dental, vision, disability, workers comp, sick leave, vacation pay, etc. Thus he isn't a medical risk (cost) if he or any of his dependents has a medical issue.

Something most people don't consider. It's a lot easier to hire a contractor because they don't pose anywhere near the risk to a company that a regular employee does if there is any type of medical or work related issue, which can all be costly. If Paul gets hurt they aren't on the hook for anything.

A total benefits package a typical worker receives from XYZ company is worth 40% if their salary. That means Paul's deal, if it was stacked up against say an Accountant or a Sales Manager from XYZ company, is actually worth 150k a year, not 250k.

So Paul makes 150k if he was employed in a normal 9 to 5 at XYZ company. That's a good job, don't get me wrong, but something to consider. Obviously he will make more in sales, but that is supplied from the consumer. So as far as guaranteed money Discraft HAS to pay, they aren't hit any harder than if they were hiring say a Controller/CFO, a Lawyer on retainer, or someone on staff that is Executive level.

Combine that with Discraft in a major transition with Doss moving on and Paul's contract expiring and you have perfect timing.

I agree. In fact, I agree so much that I wrote a whole article about it. And Ultiworld published it.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/11/21/mcbeth-wants-build-brand-will-pay-off-discraft/?ref=more

I am still not Rachel Nichols, but it's one tiny step. Man, that was a dumb analogy by me in response to a dumb question I asked MJ. My apologies to MJ and for unnecessary, non-BBQ thread drift.

I agree. In fact, I agree so much that I wrote a whole article about it. And Ultiworld published it.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/11/21/mcbeth-wants-build-brand-will-pay-off-discraft/?ref=more

I am still not Rachel Nichols, but it's one tiny step. Man, that was a dumb analogy by me in response to a dumb question I asked MJ. My apologies to MJ and for unnecessary, non-BBQ thread drift.

That was an excellent article. The best one I've read on Ultiworld. It's ironic that I will be watching out for more of your articles instead of just the random once in a while Check-in given the topic. Keep building that brand!

I'm happy that the Mr. & Mrs. Doss have found a new path in life. I hope they save their strength for MPM and FPM.

any juice on the SockBomb out there?

Thoroughly enjoyed the article - one of the best I've read at UWDG in recent memory. Keep em coming!

Technically I think the "Discraft is Back" commercial premiered during the live coverage that weekend, but I will forgive you cause the article is pretty darn good.

Latest posts