• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

So BigSexy had a lot of complaints about the course and the ever-tightening OB and raised hay bales. And Simon Lizotte went vocal about the newly (and poorly) designed holes, and his comments were very negative. So it will be interesting to see if there's a backlash from the players about what is going on at Winthrop. I hope the players do make further and stronger input, so that the course next year is not the putt-putt silliness it is this year.

And those who want PPV to succeed should also be calling for corrections and improvements. Who wants to pay for disc golf on this gimmicky putt-putt course? Just sayin', is all... :popcorn:

seems more like carnival games

:popcorn:

. . but the course DO make some insane scores, and people might like that. . but to see a 14 and a 3 on the same hole in a invite only event, is that really good for the sport?

Paul is not Paul. Any chance he is not happy with the course and is just going through the motions (not dropping out) due to contract requirements?

McBeth is even for the round +4 after taking a double bogey 6 on 12. I think he's done.

So BigSexy had a lot of complaints about the course and the ever-tightening OB and raised hay bales. And Simon Lizotte went vocal about the newly (and poorly) designed holes, and his comments were very negative. So it will be interesting to see if there's a backlash from the players about what is going on at Winthrop. I hope the players do make further and stronger input, so that the course next year is not the putt-putt silliness it is this year.

And those who want PPV to succeed should also be calling for corrections and improvements. Who wants to pay for disc golf on this gimmicky putt-putt course? Just sayin', is all... :popcorn:
Winthrop Gold goes back and forth. It's not permanent so they can easily move stuff any time they want. So sometimes there are changes and people are happy with them, then sometimes there are changes that people hate. Back and forth it goes. It's been going on for years.

I'm sure the double mando holes will be re-worked next year and it will be one of those "people are happy" years.

I wish Winthrop would grow the grass a bit and do a mowing pattern for that week, or let the tournament do some serious painting. . . .

Mowing pattern or thick chalk lines would make it much easier to watch some of those open field holes with quirky OB patterns.

Perhaps in the future the cost of technology will decrease enough to enable disc golf videos to show computer-generated OB areas on screen the way that football broadcasts display a computer-generated first down line, or baseball broadcasts display a computer-generated strike zone.

I don't think the two are really tied together. Maybe for THIS event, but not as an overall concept.

I wish Winthrop would grow the grass a bit and do a mowing pattern for that week, or let the tournament do some serious painting. As it stands, holes 9 through 12 are practically unwatchable, and they seem problematic to play as well.
Awesome idea that runs up against the fact the Winthrop is a college campus and it's much more important for that place to look squeaky-clean for the start of the semester when parents are dropping kid off, looking good on weekends when Alumni show up for soccer games, etc., than making the OB pop for USDGC. There are a lot of limitations to that arrangement, and I'm willing to bet letting the campus look scraggly in September is not something Winthrop is willing to do.

Awesome idea that runs up against the fact the Winthrop is a college campus and it's much more important for that place to look squeaky-clean for the start of the semester when parents are dropping kid off, looking good on weekends when Alumni show up for soccer games, etc., than making the OB pop for USDGC. There are a lot of limitations to that arrangement, and I'm willing to bet letting the campus look scraggly in September is not something Winthrop is willing to do.

No doubt if they could, the USDGC would have implemented the most visual changes a long time ago. We also have no idea what the actual agreement or contract was that put this tournament here, it's time frame, and it's stipulations.
My 3000 miles removed 2 cents says that it's pretty easy to water the grass and not mow it for two weeks.

Here's a crazy concept - Innova makes oodles of money. Why don't they buy a plot of land in either NC or SC and build their own championship-caliber course. Then they're not at the mercy of the university. It maybe a little further away than Charlotte, but I'm sure they could buy a nice parcel of land within an hour's drive of where Winthrop is. Then run it year round as Innova's Course of Champions. :cool:

No doubt if they could, the USDGC would have implemented the most visual changes a long time ago. We also have no idea what the actual agreement or contract was that put this tournament here, it's time frame, and it's stipulations.
My 3000 miles removed 2 cents says that it's pretty easy to water the grass and not mow it for two weeks.

For the most part the grass is done growing this time of year in the Mid-Atlantic with or without watering it.

Here's a crazy concept - Innova makes oodles of money. Why don't they buy a plot of land in either NC or SC and build their own championship-caliber course. Then they're not at the mercy of the university. It maybe a little further away than Charlotte, but I'm sure they could buy a nice parcel of land within an hour's drive of where Winthrop is. Then run it year round as Innova's Course of Champions. :cool:

The course itself is a very small part of running a big event. You need lodging, banquet facilities, etc which generally do not coincide with reasonably priced land.

One other thought - If Winthrop is like the vast majority of public higher education today, they are feeling the effects of a poor economy and reduced cash flow. Winthrop is probably banking on the money they get from hosting the USDGC, which is no small sum. Grouchy alumni are less concerning to a provost than the bottom line and cold hard cash.

I truly would love to know the money line on this bet:

At 2:45 EST Friday, Nathan Queen would be the leader and McBeth would 4 out of cash.

I think you could have gotten 100,000 to 1 on that bet. Maybe more.

I truly would love to know the money line on this bet:

At 2:45 EST Friday, Nathan Queen would be the leader and McBeth would 4 out of cash.

I think you could have gotten 100,000 to 1 on that bet. Maybe more.
I would have lost money. :|

-2 and E were not really the reaction I was expecting from McBeth to going +6.

Latest posts