• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

One advantage of having four rounds of data is that I can calculate a measure of how consistently holes give out the same scores to the same players from round to round.

For example, if a hole decides a player should average 3.75, the most consistent way to do that would be to give that player a 75% chance of getting a 4, and a 25% chance of getting a 3. If it were to do that across four holes, over the long run it would give out an average of about 1.55 different scores.

One if the least consistent ways to give out an average score of 3.75 would be to randomly select a score of 2 or 3 or 4 or 6 with equal probability. If it were to do that for four holes, over the long run the hole would give out an average of about 2.65 different scores.

The scale in the graph shows how close each hole got to its ideal consistency. 0% is like using a dreidel to give out scores. 100% would be choosing from two scores with appropriate probabilities.

attachment.php

You would expect #3, #13, and #17 to be less consistent, because the hole changed from round to round. However, they don't really stand out.

Attachments

• USDGC2019Cons.png
    USDGC2019Cons.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 270
Cursory review seems to indicate that Hazard and Mando produce more consistency, and Mozza Sticks do not undermine it, than Throw & Distance penalties?

Eh fair enough. Nikko seems more nerve-worthy to me. I was going into the final round like "Alright if Conrad or Eagle win, I'll be content" and then Eagle broke his hand. Which is a little funny. But he's also what, 18? 19? I was doing way dumber stuff at 19 than punching the ground on lead card at a huge national tournament for anything.

same

Next year, I'm hoping for baskets surrounded by gator filled moats.

...but they wouldn't be real gators... just marked off moats with signs that say "Gator Area"... players landing in them would be required to walk with a limp the remainder of the event to simulate loss of limb...

players landing in them more than once would have to follow the Black Knight protocol... "it's just a flesh wound", etc...

...but they wouldn't be real gators... just marked off moats with signs that say "Gator Area"... players landing in them would be required to walk with a limp the remainder of the event to simulate loss of limb...

players landing in them more than once would have to follow the Black Knight protocol... "it's just a flesh wound", etc...

I vote the moat be filled with pop-top Star Gators and you must leave the disc you threw in behind, and use that Gator as a replacement.

Next year, I'm hoping for baskets surrounded by gator filled moats.

I was watching the Final back 9 and had the thought that if they really wanted to add challenge, theycould make a big wave machine that would drench the putting green while players putted. Wave generation would be random, so might get Nikko to go faster!

Successfully stayed away from all spoilers. Ended up waiting til today to watch the final rounds and watched Jomez and SpinTV side by side and that was great. Not a fan of Jomez putting up the leader board a few times throughout the round which is why I had to watch them side by side but it was really annoying when they did it on hole 17. The leader board makes sense when Jomez is the only coverage but when there are multiple outlets then I do not like it.

Overall post production grade for me would be an A-

And that's why Jomez does it. It's like competing networks giving Olympics results to spoil it for people waiting to see the time-delayed programming on the host channel.

It used to be everyone had their piece of the pie; now they know full well that they are competitors. And if Jomez can spoil it for the competitors, they'll do so. Hard to blame 'em.

And it's only going to get more competitive going forward. PPV has changed things. We'll see what happens... :popcorn:

And that's why Jomez does it. It's like competing networks giving Olympics results to spoil it for people waiting to see the time-delayed programming on the host channel.

It used to be everyone had their piece of the pie; now they know full well that they are competitors. And if Jomez can spoil it for the competitors, they'll do so. Hard to blame 'em.

And it's only going to get more competitive going forward. PPV has changed things. We'll see what happens... :popcorn:

we can only hope...

I didn't say it changed things for the better...

Time will tell... :popcorn:

I doubt my opinion of change for the better aligns with most of the fans out there anyway. My hope would be that Innova made a killing off of it whether they gave the proceeds to charity or not.

Did we ever see a post on how many paid the $9.99 or $7.99 for the live viewing?

I asked someone and they told me that the numbers would be released. But so far, nothing. Hoping we hear about that. My guess is about 4K.

Those designer insights into the hole design would have been better off in a preview video, not in the actual tournament. Somewhere between corny and cringe worthy, by the time the final round was on I was doing my best to ignore them.

From a viewing standpoint this course is pretty horrible. Just about every other hole was a wide open field with stakes and you had to wait for a graphic to know if it was in or OB. Quickly becoming a clown course filled with gimmicks and stakes.

On a positive note, I though Jamie and the Champ were pretty good on the mic. Loved the insight the Champ brought to the mental side of it and was willing to call bad shots or putts what they were, bad. Definitely more Champ on the mic.

The competition became pretty intense at the end after slogging through 16 holes of very little drama. Nikko was a joy to watch and made some spectacular shots, loved his raw emotions after the shots. Conrad was solid and just lacing backhand shots to keep those cheatin' lefties from winning. No McBeth felt strange.

Post production viewer here, so thanks to SpinTV and Jomez for the great coverage.

Latest posts