• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Apparently his recovery from Lyme disease not coming along fast enough according to Facebook posts.

Did he really get it? Last I saw on IG he was thinking he had it but had not been to a doc to get diagnosed.

"Not a good weekend for me. I'm pretty sure I picked up Lyme Disease and started feeling the debilitating symptoms on Thursday. Didn't want to say anything as I hate making excuses but this disease is no joke and completely demoralized me. For 3 days straight I didn't sleep and laid in bed in the fetal position (minus the tournament rounds). I had the worst headache and fatigue ever as well as a stiff neck. Haven't officially got tested but I will keep everyone updated. For those disc golfers that have had it before would you recommend the holistic treatment or the antibiotics?
P.S my last tick bite was 3 months ago!!"

-This is from September 16th. The thing that makes me nervous, is that typically the antibiotic gets you feeling better fairly quickly, and it's been 2 weeks. There's 420 comments on his post, most of which, including mine, are pleading for him to go to the doctor immediately.

"Not a good weekend for me. I'm pretty sure I picked up Lyme Disease and started feeling the debilitating symptoms on Thursday. Didn't want to say anything as I hate making excuses but this disease is no joke and completely demoralized me. For 3 days straight I didn't sleep and laid in bed in the fetal position (minus the tournament rounds). I had the worst headache and fatigue ever as well as a stiff neck. Haven't officially got tested but I will keep everyone updated. For those disc golfers that have had it before would you recommend the holistic treatment or the antibiotics?

-This is from September 16th. The thing that makes me nervous, is that typically the antibiotic gets you feeling better fairly quickly, and it's been 2 weeks. There's 420 comments on his post, most of which, including mine, are pleading for him to go to the doctor immediately.

taking medical advice from a bunch of dgers is comical

The way this has all played out, it looks like McBeast was not going to re-up with Innova anyway...

The PDGA Podcast had McBeth on it this week and he was saying he had already told Innova before this tournament that he was moving on.

"For those disc golfers that have had it before would you recommend the holistic treatment or the antibiotics?

3 months ago and still apparently hasn't taken any antibiotics and is now asking social media for advice. All I'll say is, he sure is a good disc golfer.

"For those disc golfers that have had it before would you recommend the holistic treatment or the antibiotics?

3 months ago and still apparently hasn't taken any antibiotics and is now asking social media for advice. All I'll say is, he sure is a good disc golfer.

Couple things.

One, the last tick bite he was aware of was three months prior. Doesn't mean it was his last tick bite at all (those ****ers are sneaky and tiny). Not every tick bite is going to (or should) send people running to the doctor for anti-biotics.

Two, his self-diagnosis (and the quoted post) came immediately after he started exhibiting symptoms. His next step should have been to go to a doctor rather than asking advice from the internet, but no reason he should be faulted for not going to the doctor prior to exhibiting symptoms.

It actually takes several weeks to months before any symptoms can occur. However, he should've gone to the doctor immediately after noticing the rash coupled with the usual lyme symptoms.

Also Rick is homeschooled, has like 10 brothers and sisters, and is notoriously cheap. Not that any of these things are responsible for/excuse his logic but what seems obvious to some, isn't to others.

Latest update:

"I Just wanted to update everybody on my Lyme fight. After fighting through the Lyme disease all last tournament in Vermont. It has gotten steadily worse and debilitating to the point that I can barely get out of bed. I've been bed ridden and depressed for the last 3 weeks. While almost needing a cane to walk. This is definitely the type of disease you don't realize how bad it really is until you experience it for yourself. So as of now I am not able to finish out the last 3 events of the year and it crushes me to officially announce this. Being in the lead of the NT Points and near the top in the DGPT points makes it that much worse that I CANT play. Also being so close to winning The USDGC so many times and being so close to home this tournament means so much to me. So my official announcement is that I will not be able to physically play the last 3 events of the year. This really does crush me but I have no choice as I'm so weak I can barely walk let alone try and throw a disc. Anyways good luck to everyone playing the USDGC I'll have to be a fan watching from bed. Raptor legs will be back I promise you that. I'll definitely be posting updates as much as possible. I also want thank Drew from Vital Nutrition Centers for some outstanding advice on attacking my Lyme throughout this process."

Latest update:

"I Just wanted to update everybody on my Lyme fight. After fighting through the Lyme disease all last tournament in Vermont. It has gotten steadily worse and debilitating to the point that I can barely get out of bed. I've been bed ridden and depressed for the last 3 weeks. While almost needing a cane to walk. This is definitely the type of disease you don't realize how bad it really is until you experience it for yourself. So as of now I am not able to finish out the last 3 events of the year and it crushes me to officially announce this. Being in the lead of the NT Points and near the top in the DGPT points makes it that much worse that I CANT play. Also being so close to winning The USDGC so many times and being so close to home this tournament means so much to me. So my official announcement is that I will not be able to physically play the last 3 events of the year. This really does crush me but I have no choice as I'm so weak I can barely walk let alone try and throw a disc. Anyways good luck to everyone playing the USDGC I'll have to be a fan watching from bed. Raptor legs will be back I promise you that. I'll definitely be posting updates as much as possible. I also want thank Drew from Vital Nutrition Centers for some outstanding advice on attacking my Lyme throughout this process."
I really hope this doesn't mean he is skipping the antibiotics. :doh:

You would hope that Innova et al put these top-tier dudes and dudettes on company health insurance, buuuut this IS the USA....

Even if he does have health insurance (through Innova or on his own), he still has to choose to seek medical help. Simply having insurance isn't enough to get or keep a person healthy. Count me among the folks a little concerned about the reference to "Vital Nutrition Centers". A round of doxycycline immediately after he experienced the initial symptoms would have at least had him on his feet by now (as opposed to bed-ridden), even if he wasn't quite up to playing.

Even if he does have health insurance (through Innova or on his own), he still has to choose to seek medical help. Simply having insurance isn't enough to get or keep a person healthy. Count me among the folks a little concerned about the reference to "Vital Nutrition Centers". A round of doxycycline immediately after he experienced the initial symptoms would have at least had him on his feet by now (as opposed to bed-ridden), even if he wasn't quite up to playing.
Well, duh. But let's see if together we can think out a reason why a pro disc golfer might opt for a less expensive method of "treatment" over just going to a doc...

The PDGA Podcast had McBeth on it this week and he was saying he had already told Innova before this tournament that he was moving on.

I'm sure that's true. IIRC there is a time window in which the player has to tell the company he/she is not renewing the contract.

Also IIRC, that was the source of the war between Paige Pierce and Prodigy. She told them she was leaving, and they said she didn't notify them in time and refused to release her from the contract. At least Innova showed a little bit of class handling the McBeth departure. :popcorn:

Holistic medicine is a form of healing that considers the whole person -- body, mind, spirit, and emotions -- in the quest for optimal health and wellness. According to the holistic medicine philosophy, one can achieve optimal health -- the primary goal of holistic medicine practice -- by gaining proper balance in life.

Holistic medicine practitioners believe that the whole person is made up of interdependent parts and if one part is not working properly, all the other parts will be affected. In this way, if people have imbalances (physical, emotional, or spiritual) in their lives, it can negatively affect their overall health.

A holistic doctor may use all forms of health care, from conventional medication to alternative therapies, to treat a patient. --WebMD

A huge difference between holistic treatment and stupidity. Antibiotics would be part of any intelligent holistic treatment of diagnosed Lyme disease.

Not a good outlook for him.

Lymes left untreated can cause neurological issues.

I sincerely hope he isn't using essential oils or some other "natural" remedy.