• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2020 NT media coverage

I don't want to open the can or worms about women's golf, but I think covering only FPO will hurt their subscriber rate and views.

I love watching FPO, but I....agree. It seems like there's always a media house or 2 that scales back, eventually fades out of the scene, etc, every few years. There's plenty of events for the hobbyist channels to cover, but once you get serious and attempt to make a living doing this stuff, there's just not enough (major events, etc) content to go around.

It's interesting to see the trends of the media houses, subscription rate, views, etc. You can easily tell who is trending down, up, etc....

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/centralcoastdiscgolf
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jomezproductions

(GK Productions)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC96v9uB8ZKe1TFdYzBOGnpw

I love watching FPO, but I....agree. It seems like there's always a media house or 2 that scales back, eventually fades out of the scene, etc, every few years. There's plenty of events for the hobbyist channels to cover, but once you get serious and attempt to make a living doing this stuff, there's just not enough (major events, etc) content to go around.

It's interesting to see the trends of the media houses, subscription rate, views, etc. You can easily tell who is trending down, up, etc....

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/centralcoastdiscgolf
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jomezproductions

(GK Productions)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC96v9uB8ZKe1TFdYzBOGnpw

Gatekeeper Media

Having the Pro Tour more consistent with the coverage be it live or the post production is only going to help the sport and the subscribers. Knowing that Jomez is lead card, somebody else is next for MPO and FPO is CCDG will help to know where to go to see what. The sport needs this as it is not big enough that one can get away with coverage being all mixed up among the different production companies and/or TV channels, like other sports say NBA or NHL.

FPO for the Pro Tour was not very consistent due to lack of Production Companies wanting to cover it during parts of the season. Now having a major Disc Golf Production company doing the coverage for Post Production is only going to help the female side get more exposure especially since most viewers into the Pro Tour and National Tour are watching CCDG and Jomez. I know I am more then likely to watch the FPO lead card on the Pro Tour this next year simply being subscribed to both CCDG and Jomez on YouTube.

Gatekeeper or GK Productions is even upping CCDG, they have more replay stuff on the post production card they follow as well as better sound of the play.

GK has spotty post production. they frequently don't update the score graphics after a hole and lately they have been posting the pre-round scores at the end of the round when they no longer apply.

Gatekeeper did some no-commentary videos late last year, for example at GMC. Just the sounds of nature, and the card's chatter. Frankly I enjoyed those a lot more, and would be completely fine with them using that approach all year.

time to fess up: they did that immediately after i made a post on the then-latest video saying that i frequently had to watch the channel on mute because of the commentary. i guess it struck a nerve. in hindsight, i could have been more constructive about it. sorry Gatekeeper guys!

I'm not really a fan of this. If I were CCDG, I would have opted for the chase card or even 3rd card before FPO.

I don't want to open the can or worms about women's golf, but I think covering only FPO will hurt their subscriber rate and views. It's a personal preference, but I won't watch the FPO coverage - it just isn't entertaining to me.

Hopefully CCDG still gets lead-card coverage for BSF & PO...

It is important to remember that these announcements from the PDGA apply to the National Tour only. So just six events: Texas States, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup, Beaver State Fling, Delaware Challenge, Music City Open. It is not relegating CCDG to only FPO coverage forever. I'm sure they'll be covering some MPO1 cards at other events.

Also, it's possible that CCDG didn't really have a choice of FPO or MPO. The PDGA may well have said "we want you to do FPO1 at these events" and that was the end of it.

Jomez confirmed for all NT lead card coverage, as Johnny V had mentioned on a previous Smashboxx pod.

I think it's fine, but I'd like to see a little bit of transparency on how the crews were selected, now that we know who's going to be doing the work. I like all of the companies that are doing NT work for the PDGA this year, and as a consumer it doesn't matter much who got it, I'd be watching it anyway.

It is important to remember that these announcements from the PDGA apply to the National Tour only. So just six events: Texas States, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup, Beaver State Fling, Delaware Challenge, Music City Open. It is not relegating CCDG to only FPO coverage forever. I'm sure they'll be covering some MPO1 cards at other events.

Also, it's possible that CCDG didn't really have a choice of FPO or MPO. The PDGA may well have said "we want you to do FPO1 at these events" and that was the end of it.

Now I can see why in the underlined that could be the case. Is it possible that maybe National Tour is not happy to be using a bunch of other production companies for FPO or using a lesser brand rather then a better known entity for its Post Production like CCDG. PDGA People might see that the Pro Tour has one or two companies doing the Post Production in the previous years to the 2019 mess and how much more in views the Pro Tour gets for that.

I'm guessing PDGA finally came to their senses and offered to pay CCDG to cover those events. Since CCDG can't monetize the product through simple views, and PDGA has the most to gain from having FPO consistently filmed, I'm hoping this is the case.

Certainly a logical assumption. Same goes for MPO2.

Yep that is what I thought too.

Now Having the specific cards MPO, MPO chase and FPO on specific post production channels on Youtube with with the National Tour helps as you then get better viewers as you automatically know where to look to find the info. The Sport of Disc Golf is not big like NBA or NHL, even traditional ball golf where you can have the players with different Production companies/TV Stations on each tour stop and get away with it.

I reposed but modified this because I thought originally this was for both the National Tour and Pro Tour. That old post makes no sense in this thread as I said the Pro Tour for that old post.

Is the PDGA actually paying these various media companies to cover the event? I'm assuming they are not, because wouldn't that need to be voted on due to funds coming out membership fees?

Pdga doesn't need membership approval for every expense. That said, they should have transparency on how contracts are awarded... Not that I'm saying they did anything below table.

The board probably handles the overall budget for each dept. It isn't broken down anywhere for PDGA members to really see, but media is probably it's own segment, or maybe tied into advertising? I could see it both ways.

FPO1 is rightfully getting paid for their work. I would assume MPO2 is as well, but can't confirm the latter.

And as I have stated everywhere at this point. The PDGA never reached out to Terry to see if he could handle any post production coverage. They assumed that because he was busy with live (for a single NT event currently, possibly 2) that he couldn't handle it. You know, just like Ian can't handle FPO1 because he is ALWAYS onsite... oh wait, he isn't and has a crew that does. Yeah... anyway. It is funny that I am personally more offended over this than Terry.

The process in general has just opened up my eyes as to how I need to make sure to handle SmashBoxxTV business matters.

Latest posts