• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
haha ahh ummm

As long as Brodie Smith, I hope no relation to me, is not Duding everything or being a brat when loosing while playing.

Though to be fair Disc Golfer's and Ultimate players have had crossover quite a bit with Ken Climo doing Ultimate in a Jr league before finding disc golf at age 12 and Elaine King did both Disc Golf and Ultimate at the same time sponsored by Discraft until all the older female players left Discraft by 2018. I can't think of others though.

Looks like a nice crop of touring pros will be there. I'm potting one of the holes Sat, so I'll be able to see some of the action in person. May catch some action on Sun as well, will see.

This year, they've cleared out even more growth on a few holes (#'s 2, 6, 9, & 15 immediately come to mind), making it easier to attack those holes ... not a fan of that. There's a line on 9 that simply didn't exist before. :\

Keep in mind: the park did that from an invasive species/managing the ecosystem standpoint. It wasn't a DG decision.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice crop of touring pros will be there. I'm potting one of the holes Sat, so I'll be able to see some of the action in person. May catch some action on Sun as well, will see.

This year, they've cleared out even more growth on a few holes (#'s 2, 6, 9, & 15 immediately come to mind), making it easier to attack those holes ... not a fan of that. There's a line on 9 that simply didn't exist before. :\

Keep in mind: the park did that from an invasive species/managing the ecosystem standpoint. It wasn't a DG decision.

Yea they were talking about it on a vid brodie and paul did there last month. They removed a ton of honeysuckle iirc.

Assuming Discraft selected some players on the feature, I wonder how the other Discraft Pros (Ulibarri, Presnell, Barham, Hannum, Hammes) feel about seeing Brodie get picked in front of them...

Yes, it's always interesting to see how Brodie progresses in his transition to a disc golf pro. And I'll be rooting for him, because I think he brings a ton of attention to disc golf. But, there are other ways to give him exposure than to put him on the feature card.

Not to mention the few Michigan pros (Marwede, Klein and Frescura) who could also be an option for a feature card.

Also, I can't wait to see the Twitter rant if Jamie Thomas is commentating on Brodie, since I won't be able to watch it live.

I agree with Geneva, I was a little bummed not to see any of the Michigan pros make the feature card, although pretty sure Brodie dwarfs their combined social media presence so not hard to see why he was picked.
Fingers crossed one/multiple of them go hot and we see them on lead/chase card coverage for rounds 2 or 3.

Yea they were talking about it on a vid brodie and paul did there last month. They removed a ton of honeysuckle iirc.

I can say they removed a bunch of different plant types wherever they found an invasive (most notably Russian Olive) dominating. They were anything but surgical. Apparently the native species are able to recover pretty well.

FWIW- DG has taught me to classiify plants into two categories:
a) Poison Ivy...pretty much the only plant I can ID immediately on the spot.

b) Every other plant that I don't want to throw my disc into.

Hopefully, instead of complaining or feeling "brushed aside", these DG Pros (from all mfrs) will learn the importance of social media to their Pro DG careers.
Disc mfrs don't reward skill, they reward marketability.
When skill increases marketability, THEN it is rewarded.
Nowadays, there are a LOT of 1000+ rated DG Pros.
The ones who succeed financially will be those that combine their DG skill with marketability through Social Media like YouTube and Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and other ways that I don't even know about.
In that regard, Brodie is an improving DG Pro and a Social Media star. It isn't Rocket Science why he was chosen for Lead Card in one of Discraft's premier events.

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time that Brodie has been selected to be on the feature card and its really no surprise. DGPT boasted about a LARGE influx of subscriptions the last time he was featured. Perhaps they will put a card of like Barham, Willie Prince, Hannum, Hammes, etc in front of the feature card so they end up getting some decent air time on backups and before the feature card begins.

New TD this year I noticed.. Best of luck to the new team! I (and the world) will be watching this weekend! I was lucky to throw the course last week, it was in great shape although the teepads were still 'slippery when wet'.. Hope for no rain!

haha ahh ummm

Most events have a pro on round 1 lead card that I'd rather not see on the card. I hope to have 3 amazing players on a lead card. MPO meets that criteria for sure, FPO at least comes close and probably makes that depending on where you'd rank Fajkus and King.

Also, I'm not sure why people are so annoyed with Brodie? Most people like sports for the story/drama. His story is much more intriguing than pros who have been gunning for 10+ years and still haven't won any big events.

Oh wait, he's loud. That's why people don't like him. If it's anything like WACO, he won't be loud. so what's the problem?

Hopefully, instead of complaining or feeling "brushed aside", these DG Pros (from all mfrs) will learn the importance of social media to their Pro DG careers.
Disc mfrs don't reward skill, they reward marketability.
When skill increases marketability, THEN it is rewarded.
Nowadays, there are a LOT of 1000+ rated DG Pros.
The ones who succeed financially will be those that combine their DG skill with marketability through Social Media like YouTube and Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and other ways that I don't even know about.
In that regard, Brodie is an improving DG Pro and a Social Media star. It isn't Rocket Science why he was chosen for Lead Card in one of Discraft's premier events.

Again, I completely understand the move by DGPT and Discraft to put Brodie on the feature card in terms of marketing.

But again, if Discraft is not happy about the promotion made by one of their Elite team members, there are other ways to show it, than by ignoring them for a potential feature card.

And to make things clear, I have nothing personal against Brodie and I don't consider myself as part of his haters bandwagon (at least until his rating is higher than mine :D:D:D). But, I feel like there are better ways to select a feature card

New TD this year I noticed.. Best of luck to the new team! I (and the world) will be watching this weekend! I was lucky to throw the course last week, it was in great shape although the teepads were still 'slippery when wet'.. Hope for no rain!

Hopefully he'll be putting in the work instead of passing the time on his boat.

I can say they removed a bunch of different plant types wherever they found an invasive (most notably Russian Olive) dominating. They were anything but surgical. Apparently the native species are able to recover pretty well.

FWIW- DG has taught me to classiify plants into two categories:
a) Poison Ivy...pretty much the only plant I can ID immediately on the spot.

b) Every other plant that I don't want to throw my disc into.

Disc Golf also helped me Identify Poison Oak, the one I react to when leaves are partly red. I messed up as a teen bad in that with a whole back leg calf getting that. The Russian olive as I ruined a shirt or two playing into those. then the wild rose as getting to play in those in my 20's for the first time I learned what those look like. other Plants I learned to tell the Cottonwood from the others including poplar hybrids as a kid, or later in life.

Most people like sports for the story/drama. His story is much more intriguing than pros who have been gunning for 10+ years and still haven't won any big events.

This is why I can't watch Olympic coverage. Too many personal interest stories, not enough sport.

Also, I'm not sure why people are so annoyed with Brodie?
Oh wait, he's loud. That's why people don't like him.

Yup

If it's anything like WACO, he won't be loud. so what's the problem?

No problem if that's the case, and I have no reason to believe it won't be

Love the feature card. The 3 odds-on favorites to win, and the quickly-rising newcomer. Looks like they're finally getting my money, and hope that the country doesn't have to shut down again immediately...

How much $$ does the winner of the MPO and FPO receive? If my math is correct, the purse is $54,900 ($36,000 MPO + $6400 FPO + $12,500 added cash). I have not kept up the last few years if there is a standard % or if each tournament pays out differently.

Latest posts