• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA A-Tier 2021 Utah Open June 11-13

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Feels strange to have a big tournament on the same Course just a few weeks before Worlds...exakt same layout?

Feels strange to have a big tournament on the same Course just a few weeks before Worlds...exakt same layout?

Looks like it. The Utah Open udisc course info has the distances the same as the course map/scorecard listed on the pdga Worlds' page.

I think it makes a lot of sense. Gives the event staff a lower-pressure test run to make sure things run smoothly. Also a chance for some of the locals and ams to get their jollies on the Worlds courses in full tourney layout...BEFORE all the touring pros show up to practice.

The weirdest part is probably that more of the touring pros area already there to play. I'd imagine that proportion would be smaller if BSF was not cancelled.

I watched the front 9.

Really cool moment when Ricky tees off on 7. The audio is perfect and you can hear the disc ripping out of his hand.

Perkins mentioned something worth noting during while they were covering Hole 3. Ogden is about 4500 ft above sea level. At that elevation, air density is reduced. Discs get less 'bite' in that thinner air, and behave more OS.

For those who've never played at elevation, it's real. I'd never experienced that until I played in the mountains of North Carolina. Discs I thought I knew, got beefier and weren't turning on shots I expected them to (or weren't turning as much). All my discs seemed to "slide over a slot."

It's not something you notice until you're playing at an elevation a few thousand feet different from what you're used to. Folks who live in Denver and visit will see all their discs suddenly become flippier.

That right there is a great reason for people to get practice rounds in as they tour the country.

Last edited:
God, I hope they have more fun playing Mulligan's than I had watching it.

I couldn't watch it. I hate that type of course. Some are better than others but that one is the absolute worst. It's a shame one of the Disc Golf World Championship rounds will not be played on an actual disc golf course. Maybe they should hold the football Super Bowl on a soccer field.

I couldn't watch it. I hate that type of course. Some are better than others but that one is the absolute worst. It's a shame one of the Disc Golf World Championship rounds will not be played on an actual disc golf course. Maybe they should hold the football Super Bowl on a soccer field.
I do not disagree. Pretty disappointing from a fan perspective anyway, as I can't speak to being a player in it.
As I recall, wasn't this the one where there was essentially one bid? It seems strange to me that there are not more areas interested in hosting worlds, until I consider that there are probably some pretty lengthy requirements, including financial considerations, that it appears no group really wants to mess with. Maybe the PDGA needs to reconsider its priorities for majors if no area seems interested in hosting as is? Any more 'in the know' thoughts?

FTFY
I couldn't watch it. I hate that type of course. Some are better than others but that one is the absolute worst. It's a shame one two of the Disc Golf World Championship rounds will not be played on an actual disc golf course. Maybe they should hold the football Super Bowl on a soccer field.
Pretty sure the format for World's is 5 rounds total, with 2 at Mulligan's, and 3 at The Fort... which is a legitimate disc golf course.

Completely agree with the underlined. I've watched coverage of events held on several bolf courses, and Mulligan's just seemed the least interesting to watch. Emporia Country Club and Goat Hill were better viewing.

Gatekeeper Rd 2 footage from The Fort was posted yesterday. I would say that the course looks slightly better than it did two years ago. Hole 18 in particular has been changed from the easiest and most boring hole on the course, into a much more interesting finishing hole.

That said, I am still not sold that this course is suitable for hosting the World Championships. There are a hell of a lot of holes that seem un-pure-able to me, and rely solely on the luck of a disc crashing through branches. The almost total lack of elevation is also unfortunate. Maybe it will look better with a deeper field playing it.

So I've never been a fan of watching Mulligans. And that opinion definitely did not change this weekend. It is definitely boring, even when considering it against only other traditional golf courses.

The Fort reminds me STRONGLY of Brazos East, only a bit more luck-based. It just isn't a course that feels like an epic world-championship caliber challenge. Scoring par out there requires skill, scoring tons of birdies requires having a lucky day. I'm sure the course would kick my ass, I'm not saying its necessarily easy... I dunno, I just don't see it.

I'll just sit back and keep rooting for Rick.

FTFY

........ The Fort... which is a legitimate disc golf course.

I should have also said this in my post. It's an actual disc golf course and 1000% more interesting to watch. I'd love to play that one but I'm sure I would come away completely and utterly humbled.

I should have also said this in my post. It's an actual disc golf course and 1000% more interesting to watch. I'd love to play that one but I'm sure I would come away completely and utterly humbled.
I definitely agree that Fort is 1000% more interesting to watch than Mulligans. Just doesn't feel like an epic challenge.