• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

My prediction before the round was that Paul's putting would cost him the title, and either Jones, Dickerson or Sexton would throw the hot round and win. Wasn't sure if Conrad had that extra gear needed to win in that circumstance.

Paul looked like the 2015 version, period. You'd never know he was struggling with the putter. Made several insane long high-pressure putts throughout the round, and several circle's edge-ish ones that he's missed plenty of times lately. Did everything he had to do to win.

That was the all-time disc golf shot, nothing else comes close. The stakes, the length and shape of the line, the huge gallery, the pandemonium when it landed. But it would be diminished quite a bit if he ended up losing the playoff. Part 2 of that amazing shot, which makes it the all-timer, is hoisting that trophy at the end. What a cool & unforgettable moment for the sport.

The dude who runs by in America shorts :clap:

Yup, funny stuff. Prompting Van Pelt to mention it on ESPN and concluding that there "would be a lot of wasted people, at a disc golf tournament". Real life attention thirsty troll, helping the game to the big time, lol.

Seriously now....how may attempts to make that throw in terms of probability? is it a 1 in 1000?

For you and me? Or James Conrad? A wide open sub 300' turnover in low wind seemed like the perfect setup for him. Same with 16. How it ended up that the playoff goes right to the James Conrad hole where McBeth has chosen to throw what really isn't his strongest type of shot was such an unreal sequence for Conrad.

They gotta do that run of Zones for Brodie reserving the driving range first.

Hahahalol. Now introducing " Range Reserve" stamped Zone. All proceeds go towards making sure all pros have a place to "air out" discs and PDGA shortcomings.
I thought this morning that one of the best parts about that ending was that the shot was so epic that no one will be talking about Brodie Smith today. Thanks for reminding me that I'm always wrong; it's a lot of pressure on my poor wife if she's the only one doing it. :\

These weren't the all-to-common wide ball open golf courses. Yeah there was one, but it didn't reward the big arms. It rewarded the accurate. And the Fort demanded 250' precision lines.

Absolutely. You can make ball golf courses fair for technical throwers. And TBH Mulligans isn't really that good of a ball golf course for disc golf. There are much better places with more trees and technical shots involved.

I really like this course and layout, this is a great example of how to do it right.

Had the stream on in the living room last night when the girlfriend came over for dinner. Told her it was the world championships being broadcast live, and had the volume just loud enough to hear it in the kitchen while I was wrapping things up. She kinda did a slight eyeroll when I mentioned it was worlds.

She doesn't hate on dg, but I think still kinda scoffs at the thought of "pro dg". Had explained the dynamic of Covid, decreased supply, increased demand, social media increase of pros during lockdown…kinda how it was a perfect storm of things. I still thing a big part of dg picking up steam comes from when pretty much all major sports were non existent about a year ago. All the YouTube challenge videos, stuff like that…was something to watch when there were pretty much no live sports. Anyway, I think she was just skeptical of what people throwing frisbees for money entailed.

We were sitting at the table eating and the tv audio goes berserk. She gives me a wtf was that look and I go "uh oh, sounds like the hippie's are getting rowdy, something big just happened". We were pretty much finished eating so hopped on the couch to see what went down. I'd mentioned before how McBeth landed the 10 year deal, and how JC left sponsors at the beginning of this season. Many props to the gallery setup on 18, seeing that shot on video and the eruption after was pretty epic. Immediately could see her gain some interest…there's no way anybody could watch that clip and not get excited about it, even if you've never seen or heard of dg before.

So of course we watch the playoff hole, which was awesome as well with the mountain backdrop, gallery, and downhill island shot. Mentioned that JC aced it a couple days prior and told her he was probably gonna swing it wide over the tree again. Talked a bit about the ladies earlier and how Cat came up short and hit the wall and how it's there to block off the island and for a playoff hole it's insane because of the nerves and spectators. Took a minute after Paul went OB to explain the drop zone and why it was pretty much over as soon as he hit the water.

Ha, so I think after a bunch of words, the point I'm trying to make is…both finishes were nail biters. Even though there was some flack thrown out there over the driving range and OB markings put down mid tournament, I think the way holes 16 and 18 were set up for spectators and drama needs it's deserved praise. The environment itself definitely contributed to the overall electric vibe of those finishes.

I'm not sure who has the rights to use what pieces of that footage yesterday, but somebody is a complete dummy if they don't use it to crank out some killer promotional material or commercials. The PDGA commercials are so cringe worthy…DG is growing…give us your money and join today. Pretty poor attempt at selling somebody on the idea of why they need you.

Back to the footage though, first thing my girlfriend asked as they were interviewing JC was what the weirdos were doing sitting in the lake in the background. My brain immediately went to Oakley at Lake Eureka😂😂😂

MVP has to make JC cut his hair. . . .he put his hair over the MVP logo in the interview just after the win ;)

Flag guy high stepping meme?

Where's the flag guy high stepping meme?

Thought for sure it would have appeared by now....?

Funny/happy stuff....:)

Wonder if JC had any thoughts of a roller or a "throw as hard as you possible can" on that 2nd throw….he HAD to make it in 3.
But if he had made an attempt for a super roller and made it a 100ft further then Paul would probably had gone for the green with his 2nd throw.

FWIW some of us really appreciate you guys (and rhatton) being active in the forum, because it's important see things from all perspectives.

Hey thanks, man. :)

The most epic throw in DG. The two famous albatrosses didnt amount to a title so as awesome they were, they dont hold as much value. The most amazing shots I have ever seen live have all been putter shots by James. Now the most amazing shot on video too.

I really think Paul should have gone for the green for a 3. Its not like its a super treacherous shot. No gimme either but could have closed the door there and then. I was ready to celebrate Paul because I really think he is the GOAT, but out of all the guys in contention, Conrad or maybe Sexton would have been my choice.

Amazing shotmaking and putting in the last round. Only watched the live stream in the morning and skipped most other parts than the contenders' shots. Now awaiting post pro to upload so I can re-live it. I am sure Jomez will do it beautiful justice. And also CCDG to see what exactly went on for FPO final three holes.

How is nobody talking about Jones who was even in it until 16 smacked him silly??

Wonder if JC had any thoughts of a roller or a "throw as hard as you possible can" on that 2nd throw….he HAD to make it in 3.
But if he had made an attempt for a super roller and made it a 100ft further then Paul would probably had gone for the green with his 2nd throw.

Watching it live, I definitely was expecting JC to go with a roller for his 2nd, until I saw how little run-up room he had behind his lie. He could basically only do a standstill throw, in which case he (obviously) made the right play.

Impressive fact...

Paul went into the last round leading by one and beat everyone ....except one guy....James, who beat Paul by ....one.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I did not care for the spotter(s) on hole 18.
If I were a TD, I don't want the spotters putting on a show.
Do whatever it takes for the players/crowd/camera to see the signal and that's it.

Let the "get off my lawn!" references commence. :D

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I did not care for the spotter(s) on hole 18.
If I were a TD, I don't want the spotters putting on a show.
Do whatever it takes for the players/crowd/camera to see the signal and that's it.

Let the "get off my lawn!" references commence. :D
There's a long tradition of "colorful" spotters (and players) at Pro Worlds. For example, in 2006 Augusta, a spotter in position to see whether a blind shot landed safe or was rolling down the hill towards the water popped out into view of the group and was rolling his arms while the disc was rolling to the delight of fans and players. Considered one of the event highlights.

Latest posts