• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

I understand that raw power and distance will be different between MPO and FPO, but should the quality of putting and approach shots really be that different overall from the top pros in each division? It seems that it is, but I cannot come up with any good explanation as to why. Now don't get me wrong, Cat's final approach on 18 is to be envied by anyone, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule. And C1x percentages between divisions certainly tell a clear story as well.

The skeletons of men and women differ significantly. See here. I'm in no way an expert or professional regarding this stuff, but I can easily imagine how these differences could make certain types of motions more difficult for women to execute consistently, which would affect things like upshots and putts even though raw strength isn't really a factor.

The skeletons of men and women differ significantly. See here. I'm in no way an expert or professional regarding this stuff, but I can easily imagine how these differences could make certain types of motions more difficult for women to execute consistently, which would affect things like upshots and putts even though raw strength isn't really a factor.
Vals' backhand drives are the exception to that rule. At the very least it defies logic.

[...] even accounting for the physical differences the quality of play is not as high [...]

If the courses accounted for the differences, the apparent quality of play of the FPO field would be higher. Thus, more entertaining.

For FPO to have the same experience as MPO, the holes need to be about 75% to 80% of the length. Also, C1 should be about 7.5 meters.

For Worlds, 29 out of the 36 holes were too long to give FPO the same chance to play well as the MPO field had.

Val (when she played) and Cat have outstanding approach games, often leaving themselves drop-ins. Cat's approach (and driving) game is so good that she can sometimes stay in contention despite an outbreak of putting "yips".

Seems like many of the men, and perhaps Paige, are confident enough in their putting game take a a safer approach route to the basket that might leave them a circle's-edge putt.

Val (when she played) and Cat have outstanding approach games, often leaving themselves drop-in.

I was actually thinking about her boobie barrier. A problem she seems to have "gotten around" quite proficiently.

Given her height and frame size, Paige's power/distance seems to really point much more to technique and form being more important than muscular strength. Maybe she is just a very rare exception, like Eagle, in seeming to have extremely elastic tendons/ligaments/whatever. Watching Eagle's forehand in slow motion makes MY wrist hurt...

Given her height and frame size, Paige's power/distance seems to really point much more to technique and form being more important than muscular strength. Maybe she is just a very rare exception, like Eagle, in seeming to have extremely elastic tendons/ligaments/whatever. Watching Eagle's forehand in slow motion makes MY wrist hurt...

She does have the best form in the FPO field and has better form then a lot of the men.

I would want to investigate the idea that strength isn't really a factor when putting before just accepting it as fact.

Obviously any pro has zero problems simply reaching the basket from C2, but the less effort you have to use when putting the more consistent and accurate you can be. Strength and form both seem likely to help with that.

Even within the FPO division, if you look at the better C2 putters on the FPO side, the longer distance throwers are better in C2 (relative to the competition) than in C1. Paige and Hailey are already good C1 putters, but they move up in the rankings in C2. Catrina jumps from mediocre in C1 to #1 in C2. Etc.

Conversely, shorter throwers like Ohn and Missy move in the opposite direction (they're still okay from C2, but lower in the rankings than they are in C1).

That's not all strength, but I'd guess strength plays some part in it.

Lol.....I am a very occasional poster and member of a hockey board. The Conrad clip was posted there and discussed for a while this afternoon. I just put up a couple posts and the B9 post production.

One of the guys plays a bit, but the other few were pretty skeptical of the true athletic or competitive nature of the game. Hopefully a couple of them watch the video.

Paige is an inch taller than average and athletic/quick twitch/springy. I'd bet she could run a faster 40 than most. She hits that brace harder than anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocMJecgW2w#t=1m23s

Latest posts