• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] 2023 “workhorse” midrange?

I took a similar route but instead of eliminating the mids I just ditched the speed seven fairways. It basically go putter for anything under 260', mids in that 260-300' range and then just jump to speed nine discs for anything beyond that.

I like this setup. That's what i'll do if i ever manage to breach 330.

It's Comets all the way down... :D

Put them in my bag in like 2004, and there hasn't been a better mid released since then...

Tried to like the Comet but didn't like the hand feel and it performed poorly (for me) in the wide open and winds. Probably an excellent woods disc. Or so I've heard.

Tried to like the Comet but didn't like the hand feel and it performed poorly (for me) in the wide open and winds. Probably an excellent woods disc. Or so I've heard.

It's fantastic in the woods, and in any wind but a headwind. It takes a lot of control to throw it well, though...

Feel killed it for me too. The mix of being super chunky with the sloped top is a tough combo.

The thin, sharp bead is really uncomfortable compared to the big bead on the Roc

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

While we're discussing mids and Comets in particular, I did discover the ultimate Comet substitute for those of us who don't care for the Comet. The RPM Piwakawaka is kind of that disc for me. Stupid glidey, flippy but not uncontrollable, beadless, and the RPM plastic is nice. When I did play in the woods on a trip to Charlotte last year I was carving lines with it like nobody's business.

Anyone looking for a flippy mid that's super easy to flip or turn over and hasn't found one to their liking should really check it out.

Looking like the Jay is taking over the workhorse mid slot for me. Already liked the Star one I had but then I picked up a DX over the weekend and holy crap that thing is sweet. So shapeable.

I still have a stack of Super Stingrays that I am perfectly happy cycling for the rest of my DG playing days. But the Innova Jay, Discmania Origin, and MVP Hex are appealing.

Funny you should mention the Super Stingray. The Jay pretty much looks like a faster Super Stingray with a flat top.

Funny you should mention the Super Stingray. The Jay pretty much looks like a faster Super Stingray with a flat top.

Looks like a Buzzz to me.

Interesting to watch James Proctor at Waco. Throwing a Roc for touchy mid shots and a Z glo Buzzz for longer approach drives. Looks like the two can coexist in an open bag.

Not that dissimilar in flight to a Super Stingray but I haven't had one of those in a while. Without a doubt the Jay is a slightly smaller diameter MD3. Easier to get up to speed and manipulate than an MD3 imo but the wing profile looks identical. And they don't have crazy sharp micro bead like the Super Stingray. I always liked that mold but ouch!

Interesting to watch James Proctor at Waco. Throwing a Roc for touchy mid shots and a Z glo Buzzz for longer approach drives. Looks like the two can coexist in an open bag.

Makes sense, regular Rocs are more analogous to throwing a putter (more touch and height needed).

The Buzzz is more driver like (lower lines and faster disc).

Still using mostly Comets of different stabilities. I found the grip weird at first but now it feels good after using them a ton. I tend to like mids with "meaty" handfeels or that remind me of gripping hammers now.

Buzzz is my first love but I tend to grab it less unless I want midrange distance with a slightly more driver-like flight. I usually bag the most OS Big Z for the shot shapes my Comets don't tend to get.

I have a Hex and really like it due to its more sleek profile and putter-like size. I haven't bagged it this winter since it's a little slick but might give it another spin this spring. It's a lot like a Buzzz with somewhat more turn but it still always tends to fade more than my Comets.

Honorable mention for mid-like qualities: I add a couple Envys back in sometimes and enjoy them even more than before, especially the nice and beat Electron ones. Those MFers can go far. I have trouble gripping the Protons in the winter but look forward to popping one back in soon.

My seasoned Sirius aurora is ridiculously good. The quantum solstice is the perfect complement. I don't feel the need to cover the gap between them since the aurora is so versatile, well they both are, but I have a seasoned 3x mcbeth roc3 I could slot as well. It is clear champ so I am trying to avoid losing it as well. New roc3s don't seem to ever be flat..

My seasoned Sirius aurora is ridiculously good. The quantum solstice is the perfect complement. I don't feel the need to cover the gap between them since the aurora is so versatile, well they both are, but I have a seasoned 3x mcbeth roc3 I could slot as well. It is clear champ so I am trying to avoid losing it as well. New roc3s don't seem to ever be flat..

Solstice is a quality mid. Haven't tried an Aurora.

Same as a comet and buzzz can coexist. I use my comets for putter type shots that need a bit more distance or have a lower ceiling, and rifts for 'midrange driver' type shots

Latest posts