• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] 2023 “workhorse” midrange?

Same as a comet and buzzz can coexist. I use my comets for putter type shots that need a bit more distance or have a lower ceiling, and rifts for 'midrange driver' type shots

Buzzz or Wasp go with a Comet like peas and carrots. MVP has taken over my mids, except for the Comet.

I get the different flights, just have never seen a pro throwing both in a round.

The Comet really shines when you learn to throw hyzers well with it. I haven't felt like I'm missing any other mold, other than in headwinds - when I can just throw a fairway gently, or reach with something shorter like a Zone or my Cryztal Fierce.

If I need straight with fade, I throw the Big Z Comet. If I want a hyzer the whole way out, I can do that with the ESP tour series, or the normal Z ones. That's pretty much every line I used to throw a Wasp, Buzzz, or Squall on.

Prior typical midranges: Dx Roc cycle, Meteor(or Buzzz SS) and various Aviars I throw long often.
This coming season: Rely less on the Roc particularly FH. Add a Buzzz for FH and lower lines. Push Aviars more.

2022 was low activity and an injury. Gonna be looking for strokes to keep scoring moral up. With the weather and conditions, I probably won't even get a good fieldwork start until April 1.

If I get my D back, some thoughts of a normal bag of: A couple high speed drivers course dependent, firebird, buzzz Ti, buzzz SS, rocs, Aviars. …. Ti, SS and Firebird replacing a couple Teebirds. Some thoughts of dropping near minimalist carry of a 9-10 limit.

Count another vote for Hex as workhorse midrange. But I went through many twists and turns to get there.

When I started playing regularly, Roc vs. Buzzz was the big debate so I tested one of each. Roc won out, and Roc + Comet handled midrange duties for several years.

When I learned to throw sidearm I found that I could not get a clean FH release with the Roc. For a time I carried Roc for BH and Buzzz for FH. But that seemed silly.

Truth worked well BH and FH so I switched to that for several years, usually paired with an M4 or Wombat3.

But when the Hex came out, that was it for me. I pair it with an Origin for understable duties, and probably throw both equally.

^Understable/neutral disc hyzers aren't utilized enough (among those I've played with at least), it's a shot everyone should get comfortable throwing.

This is what I was thinking watching hole 6 of the Austin Open during the event and practice rounds. Eagle out one in C1 with a flippy fairway and wanted a flippier one in the bag for that hole. People trying forces/destroyers were suffering getting a look.

This is what I was thinking watching hole 6 of the Austin Open during the event and practice rounds. Eagle out one in C1 with a flippy fairway and wanted a flippier one in the bag for that hole. People trying forces/destroyers were suffering getting a look.

The understable hyzer is a beautiful and useful play and admittedly one that I struggle with. I have a flippy mid and tried the shot during a practice round and thought I had it steep enough but it still stood up and drifted right on me.

I know guys like Eagle and Simon are pretty good at the shot but that hole six is just nasty and even they can't seem to really get inside circle one.

Agree 100% on the flippy hyzer. I love that shot. It's under utilized especially by am/rec players. I see so many people pull out a Firebird etc for those shots and watch it crash short, they could have got deeper hyzer penetration with something glidey. Out of 20 league players only 5 of em/us do it. I love popping a spin/glitch/comet/relay etc on a hyzer

I was thinking the same thing watching Jomez the practice round. Understable hyzer is absolutely the way to the moon.

I'm not a huge fan of building your course challenge around OB, but it was interesting to see good players have to think about their shot shapes on a new course.

Its also cool to see kids like Kyle and Gannon being more creative than seasoned vets who should know every shot in the book.

The future of disc golf is bright.

^Understable/neutral disc hyzers aren't utilized enough (among those I've played with at least), it's a shot everyone should get comfortable throwing.

I'm glad I have been learning to do this here. It has come with plenty of frustration but it seems to be easier on the body and makes wooded courses much less intimidating/way more fun.

definitely the reactor for me. bagging a seasoned neutron and a fresh glow right now.

prior to that it was the vector, but the reactor has a more comfortable rim shape.

I'm loving the reactions to the understable hyzer! There's a dogleg left around a mando I love throwing a high beat Clutch or beat Roadrunner (pin position) on, the RR is my most consistent disc to attempt parking C. It's not a very long hole but the shape of it makes it very difficult to get to the circle unless you have a very accurate turnover FH with some power behind it.

One thing to mention is don't forget nose angle. Throwing nose up and hyzer together helps it hold the line - comes naturally from all the ultimate I used to play.

definitely the reactor for me. bagging a seasoned neutron and a fresh glow right now.

prior to that it was the vector, but the reactor has a more comfortable rim shape.

There's a friendly face! Long time.

Last edited:
Agree 100% on the flippy hyzer. I love that shot. It's under utilized especially by am/rec players. I see so many people pull out a Firebird etc for those shots and watch it crash short, they could have got deeper hyzer penetration with something glidey. Out of 20 league players only 5 of em/us do it. I love popping a spin/glitch/comet/relay etc on a hyzer

i dont think its underutilized, their skill level hasnt progressed to the level or they havent been taught the shot.

only been playing since mid 2020 and it took me about a year to wrap my head around it and another year to find the right discs and form, combined with practice to get it right.

The disc thing was tough becuase its easy to flip the disc up but getting the right disc that doesnt keep going right or turn to a roller. Of course some of that is throwing with the correct level of power, which also takes a while for the average person. im sure some people figure out in 4-6 months.

Mostly Warship but a Rift and Truth get mixed in for FH or wind. Fuse for turnover lines. Wouldn't classify any of them as "workhorse" though, it's a RB by committee kind of thing.

Legacy Valor. Have 2 gummy/semi-transparent pinnacle in my bag that hold any line you put them on. Have 5 backups that all fly the same. Plus 1 stiff first run Icon Valor that has been in the bag for 4 years that is perfect for hyzer flipping and turnover shots. Hopefully the pinnacle eventually beats in similarly.

The Roc and Roc 3 is a very popular disc with my buddies that I play with, but the disc just doesn't feel right to me, not enough rim to grasp. I use mostly Mako 3 and Buzzz, also like the SOL. Lately I have had the hankering for a MD3 but just haven't broken down to buy one yet. Have a feeling it would be quite similar to my Mako 3's.

Been using a Rift/Quake/Comet lineup for my mids now for about 6 or 7 months. The Rift is my first choice for anything around 200-250 but Comet gets some looks if I need something to stay straight and Quake gets some use on Forehands and windy approaches

Latest posts