• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Des Moines Challenge

Does not really look like Kristin is playing at her best but she still gets the hot round. . and by far no one else is close

First round Buhr had a downed branch that was both in front of AND behind his lie. The group wasn't able to come to an agreement if he could move the branch or not, so he called a provisional and decided to throw both ways.

His first shot, with the branch in place, was basically parked. Was he obligated at the point to throw his provisional, or could he has simply taken his first throw and moved on?

Let's see what the crowd thinks.

803.01 Moving Obstacles
B. A player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course, with the following exceptions:
1. A player may move casual obstacles that are on the playing surface where a supporting point may be placed when taking a stance. A casual obstacle is any item or collection of loose debris (such as stones, leaves, twigs, or unconnected branches), or any item as designated by the Director. Objects intentionally placed as part of the course or event are not casual obstacles.

809.02 Provisional Throw
A. A provisional throw is an extra throw that is not added to a player's score if it is not ultimately used in the completion of the hole. The player must inform the group that a throw is provisional prior to making it.
B. Provisional throws are used:
1. To save time. A player may declare a provisional throw any time:
a. The status of a disc cannot be readily determined because it may be lost, out-of-bounds, or have missed a mandatory; and,
b. The group agrees that a provisional throw may save time.
The thrower then continues play from whichever of the two throws is deemed by the group or an Official to have resulted in the correct lie.​
2. To appeal a ruling when there are different resulting lies. A set of provisional throws may be taken to complete a hole as part of an appeal when a player in the group disagrees with a group decision and an Official is not readily available, or if a player in the group wishes to appeal the decision of an Official. The scores from both sets of throws are recorded. Once the appeal has been resolved, only the score from the correct set of throws is counted.

Looks like many of the FPO players has taken TO OS drivers to the windy R3. . .MANY OB left.

I'm guessing that's what happened to Emily Beach?
That and/or some injury.

I can't remember seeing a touring player throw a great first round, then follow up with up with 15 and 19 strokes behind the pace they set, in subsequent rounds on the same course. Did she have that much more trouble adjusting to the wind than other players?

You can't help but wonder what happened there.:confused:

Let's see what the crowd thinks.

According to this, he is able to move the branch since part of the branch was in a location where he will put a supporting point.

So part two of the question is, can he cancel the provisional even before he throws the provisional?

There seems to be no point at all in even throwing a provisional if his first throw is parked.

At first I though; Move on. No provisional. Then thought, throw the provisional since it could go in or be a drop in. But if the provisional is worse? The lie never changes, i.e. both throws are legal. GB wanted to move the branch, card didn't agree. If he took a provisional to throw without the branch (what he wanted) resulting in a higher score would he have to take the hit?

At first I though; Move on. No provisional. Then thought, throw the provisional since it could go in or be a drop in. But if the provisional is worse? The lie never changes, i.e. both throws are legal. GB wanted to move the branch, card didn't agree. If he took a provisional to throw without the branch (what he wanted) resulting in a higher score would he have to take the hit?

My thinking is ONLY if it was determined that he was not allowed to move the branch. It is a moot point in this case, however there may be situations where the resulting score would be higher.

Does not really look like Kristin is playing at her best but she still gets the hot round. . and by far no one else is close
Agreed; I thought she looked off the first 2 days, like something wasn't right with her, but she was still right in the mix. Then she throws the hammer down today with a 1021 rated round & wins easily. KT being KT :thmbup:

Agree. . start today with R2 MPO. . then play out the last of R2 FPO- - -cut the field then play R3 for both MPO/FPO

Probably would have been the best way to handle the situation.

Agreed; I thought she looked off the first 2 days, like something wasn't right with her, but she was still right in the mix. Then she throws the hammer down today with a 1021 rated round & wins easily. KT being KT :thmbup:

1001 avg rating for Kristin. . that last round in the wind rated high

I'm guessing that's what happened to Emily Beach?
That and/or some injury.

I can't remember seeing a touring player throw a great first round, then follow up with up with 15 and 19 strokes behind the pace they set, in subsequent rounds on the same course. Did she have that much more trouble adjusting to the wind than other players?

You can't help but wonder what happened there.:confused:

She seems to have a lot of hot 1st rounds, so I wasn't too surprised that she fell off. Perhaps she is not comfortable playing on camera.

With Gannon using a local caddy, good guy Simon Lizotte steps in to let our favorite chunky make-a-wish kid have a chance to make creepy autism eyes at the Jomez camera.

They told Schlabach they would give him the boot if he continued to stare at the camera, so we won't be seeing that anymore. Don't be surprised if he comes up with something else now. If you remember, his shirts last year were controversial and basically led to the DGPT caddie jerseys they must wear now.

They told Schlabach they would give him the boot if he continued to stare at the camera, so we won't be seeing that anymore. Don't be surprised if he comes up with something else now. If you remember, his shirts last year were controversial and basically led to the DGPT caddie jerseys they must wear now.

God forbid that they simply not film/broadcast him.

What an absolute tool!

I wanted to punch that guy in the face after 2 seconds of him staring into the camera! :wall:

Which is kind of weird given he wasn't wearing the caddie bibs.