• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 3 Discs you seem to Click with the most + Why

Mamba -- Love watching it fly. Long, glidey, straight or slight turn depending on how I release it.

Mako3 -- Straight and reliable and easy to throw.

Wedge -- Hyzer flip tunnel shots or short anhyzers. Fun to throw and easy to control.

Opto Saint - I got it this morning at a Dynamic Discs Chasin' the Chains event. It glides forever. I can throw it with confidence that the line I want is the line it'll take.

Millennium Astra - Controlled distance. A point and shoot long driver.

XT Nova - It feels very similar to the Master Frisbee I've been throwing since 1968.

Polecat. Nothing makes me happier than throwing a Polecat. Floaty approaches, turnovers, high floaty hyzers, spike hyzers...you can do anything with it. Even long range putts. Plus, you get the inevitable, "Is that a ******* Polecat?" when playing with new folks.

Ha ha, yep. Polecat is irreplaceable.

I have an ancient Opto Fuse that is basically my mid range Polecat. Hyzer flipped for dead straight floaters or turned over into predictable annys. Great woods disc.

Third is tough. My game would fall apart without my Ch. Banshee and its get of jail free cards. Eagle-X has been a staple from day one, basically. But I'll have to vote ESP Nebula, another oddball. Just feels made for my hand and my most dependable workhorse mid over the years. Best disc Discraft never produced.

Envy - I went through the Aviar wasteland trying to find a replacement for small beads from 20 years ago... Found the Envy. Carry the Neutron & SoftN for putting & approach duties.

Cyclone - My 2nd disc way back when. I play it as if it is a long straight mid with fade now rather than as an FD or however I played it before the days of DD class discs.

Force - Late to the party on this one as I have only used them about 6 months... I needed something Stable that could handle FH & BH duties interchangably and this was the answer.

Had to pass over trusted candidates like the Nuke, Zone, and Felon... but these 3 are the ones most reached for when I need a shot made.

P2- putting and hzyers 320 and in off the tee. It can handle all the power you can give it and still finishes with a hyzer. I tried wizards and Mcpros but the P2s just felt better in my hand and gave me a consistent flight every time.

PD2- backhand and forehand just consistent with any wind and i can always rely on the strong hyzer finish. The new swirly s lines are not as overstable and bomb.

Nova- such a great form check and just dead nuts straight. My favorite disc in the bag because it can do it all from little annys to a small hyzer and it sticks where it lands. i recommend it to everyone i play with.

Honorable mention: outlaw for pure distance and accuracy hyzer flips for a long way

Prodigy D3 - first distance driver I could really crank out there, and still is my straight long distance driver. No wind, I reach for this constantly. D2 is getting as much use now as my power has increased.

MVP Anode - probably the most amazing disc out there IMO. I tried many different putters, but do my best work with these. Hits any line, and can handle full power throws without blinking. Indestructible too! Can be tricky in wind though...

Prodigy A1 - this disc instantly felt like I'd been throwing it for years, it immediately became a staple in my bag.

I was going to put Teebird in list, but it has got plenty of love already, and for good reason...

-S-line PD
-Star eagle
-ESP Zone

PD is my go to driver BH and FH. Even if i get off line with it, it still never ends up that bad. its just an awesome driver with good HSS and not a ton of LS sideways skip. rare qualities to find in a disc. As for the eagle, ive never been able to tune in an anny on a disc better than a slightly beat up eagle. Theyre money when they start turning. Lastly, the zone because i can throw it in any wind for an upshot. i dont have to think about the wind like i do with my wizards.

S Wizard
Pinnacle Patriot
Firebird (any/all plastics)

I made the switch to wizards back in 2005. I bought a stack, and spent tons of time practicing putts and upshots with a fold-up basket at the local park that summer. Since then, the wizard has been the only putter I really feel comfortable with. Every once in a while I try something else, but it never sticks.

I threw CE Leopards for years, but the Pinnacle Patriot has totally taken over for them at 1/4 the cost. A tick faster, and just as controllable. Always the go-to disc for straight shots.

Don't know what to throw? Just throw your Firebird and see what happens.

Wizard- putting, driving, upshots, what can't the Wiz do? I prefer Fossil, Fossil Fuel or SSS

GL River- 350+ lazerbeams, awesome anny lines

Star Wraith- comfortable and predictable. I just know where its going to end up. Have longer discs in the bag but always seem to reach for the Wraiths

Honorable mentions- Scale, 400 M1, Buzzz

Ion - Just feels right for putts. I've flirted with other molds over the years, but always go back to putting Ions.

Axis - Been my favorite mid since they came out. Nice glide and super straight. Excellent high speed stability combined with minimal low speed fadr makes it a great point and shoot disc. Holds release angles well. My beat Axis is an amazing disc too, flies some sexy turnover lines.

Volt - While the Crave and Wrath have stolen shots from my Volts, its still the driver I know the best. My go to is a seasoned eclipse Volt that's lost some low speed fade without gaining any high speed turn. It's the straightest speed 9 disc I've ever thrown. The day the Proton Volts came out is the day the hunt for a longer teebird ended for me.

I have some other molds I'm incredibly fond of, like the Envy, Proxy, Crave, Resistor, Wrath and Insanity, but those three discs are the backbone of my bag, and I could shoot well at any course with those three molds.

Champion Teebird - I bag 4 of them. They're great for sidearm, backhand & short overhand shots. I love how straight they fly.

(Rancho) Roc - I bag 4 of them (1 Champion, 3 KC). They're great for cycling. I like the bead. I like that they're easy to get ahold of.

KC Aviar - I carry 5 of them in my bag. I use them for driving, approaches & putting. I love that they're great for cycling. That way I only need one mold for my driving putters. I like the bead. I feel more consistent putting with a beaded putter.

PD - the most confidence inspiring fast (9+) driver I've ever thrown. After a couple of rounds trying this disc out, I knew it was a must have disc in my bag. Took the control driver spot from TeeBirds after many years.

Roc - Was in my bag not long after I started playing, and made a few rotations out...but it's always come back in. While the comet has done a ton for developing my game, throwing the Roc has paid the most dividends because it's just so darn versatile, and consistent for me.

Judge - everything I wanted in a putter without being a bulky rim depth. beaded, some good glide, just about straight stable for most of it's flight. I've hit more long putts with the judge, and short approaches and long runs have never been better than when I'm using it. The shape and flight fit my hand and game pretty perfectly.

If I'm playing a course I am not familiar with, these 3 discs will very likely see the majority of the work off the tee as well as from the fairway.

Last edited:
Buzzz SS - Just a little more versatile than a standard Z Buzzz. I also bag a seasoned 10year and a Z GT, but gun to my head I'd pick the Z SS every time.

Envy - I always have a soft in the bag, and almost always my old neutron as well. they just feel right in the hand. I just picked one up in Plasma and after a couple rounds I'm stoked for warm weather. Seems to fly like an Envy SS in the plasma polymer.

Blizzard Boss - gotta be high-150s with bubbles in the flight plate, such a fun driver! My go-to distance is a beat Star Boss, but my 158g Blizzard is awesome for tall flex shots, long tommys, and gets a lot of action as a standstill fairway driver.

Roc, I've tried a lot of other mids, but I keep going back to the roc. For me nothing else comes close to the line shaping ability of the roc.

Roach, used wizards since the day they came out. Got a few roaches at the ace race and didn't think much of them. One day decided to take the pink roach out for a game of rainy golf. Haven't been out of my bag yet and my putting has never been better. I think it just fits my hands better than the wizard did and gives me more confidence.

Leopard, another disc I've thrown since day one. Feels like a beat in Roc that needs less height.

Yeti Aviar - I bought one of the First Run 3x Yetis right when they came out and I have had at least one in my bag ever since. Best driving putter on the market (except maybe a Fossil Wizard) and has just always felt right in my hand inside the circle.

Roc/Ghost - I have been throwing Rocs since before I had a bag to carry my discs in. Workable mid that seasons in predictibally consistantly. I haven't had a bag with fewer than 3 Rocs in it in a long time (Ghost is just a Legacy Roc so I don't differentiate).

My driver slot is a little bit funky because I keep changing my lineup around. While my mids and putters have been fairly consistent for a long time, there is nothing static about my higher-speed stuff. There is usually a Teebird/Rival or two, but other than that everything is flexible. If I were to answer what "clicks" it would probably have to be the Rival. It is a Teebird that I get in better plastic and without having to worry about the stupid plus-rims from Innova.

Zero Soft Pure: Awesome for straight to understable approaches and drives. Perfect grip for colder days. If the temperature starts to climb grab a zero medium for same results!

River all sorts of plastic: Known for not being the most consistent mold out there. The River can handle all your stable/understable fairway duties. Get a max weight Opto River for straight shots and a lighter Goldline for your understable lines and watch those glidey bad boys do their thing.

Opto Trident: WHY latitude WHY? This Disc is an awesome utility disc. Thumbers, T-Hawks, Hyzershots you name it. Opto plastic can take a beating before showing signs of a changing flightpath.

Top 3 for me would be...

S-line DD...can throw it well in any condition. Love the big S curve it turns into when throwing into a headwind, but I always know it will come back.

Star TL...straight and reliable. Will stay on any line I put it on.

C-line MD3...better than any other mid I have used. Very close to a roc3, but i think it holds up better into a wind.

Anode - Point and shoot, handles power, fits my small hands

Volt - Controllable, S flight for days, lots of distance potential

Tangent - Fast, neutral flight, not flippy, but holds anny lines without any fight. Great in the woods