• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

320-330ft. cant get past this...

fade409

I've been working on my rhbh for about a month now. It's coming along. Are there ways to get more distance on my throw. I would like to be around the 350-375ft on a regular day and smash 375-425. I know wanting to gain close to 100 ft will be a task but I'm up. for it. Any ideas will be nice.

My rhfh can push 320-350. I've always played this way.

It's really hard to help at this distance without a video. Many things could be going wrong and some right. What disc are you maxing out with?

Maybe you need to realize that not all disc golfers are created equal. I'm a pretty big guy. My legs aren't a strong as they used to be but I feel I should be able to match throws of skinny scrawny looking kids that can throw 350' with ease.

I used to wonder why I couldn't do that. I don't any more. Some people are just better at things.

I would love to throw a disc 350' but I realized years ago that even with perfect form I might reach 310' tops.

At some point every disc golfer reaches their maximum distance. Some will be longer than others.

I have been able to throw longer now than I did 10 years ago. I did this mostly through better form (and a lot of practice) but I have hit a wall of about 285'-300' on my longest drives.

Maybe you need to realize that not all disc golfers are created equal. I'm a pretty big guy. My legs aren't a strong as they used to be but I feel I should be able to match throws of skinny scrawny looking kids that can throw 350' with ease.

I used to wonder why I couldn't do that. I don't any more. Some people are just better at things.

I would love to throw a disc 350' but I realized years ago that even with perfect form I might reach 310' tops.

At some point every disc golfer reaches their maximum distance. Some will be longer than others.

I have been able to throw longer now than I did 10 years ago. I did this mostly through better form (and a lot of practice) but I have hit a wall of about 285'-300' on my longest drives.

he is asking for advice, not a cop out.

I too was in this boat. I could only max drive about 300. I felt I was getting better, had more snap, reached back farther during runup and so on. Then my buddy noticed somthing. He said my x step was backwards, I was like what, did'nt believe him at all. I had video of me throwing and staring watching different drives I threw over the last 3 years. Well he was right, I started to work on this and thought it would be impossible to reverse my step and it was, I felt like I was going to trip everytime. my knees kept knocking into each other, my game was gone and I was bummed. I worked on it and finally got it down. This only took me about two round by myself with multiple throws. Now that I have got this down my drives are going 370 with the same disc. With more practice and when I get my release point nailed down, and a faster runup with more steps. I have no doubt that I can easilly reach the 400 or 425 make in the very near future. My point is make sure your footwork is correct and you woud be suprised how much better your arm will respond.

k need 100 feet should not be too hard it is really not that far only 33 yards. keep throwing hard build up your arm speed focus on leading with your elbow and keep it it high, that way you are training the right muscles..when you are in a field practicing think about this...your elbow should always be higher than your hand until release..also the back of your hand should be facing the same direction as the back of your upper arm until release..

also the back of your hand should be facing the same direction as the back of your upper arm until release..

I believe you mean the lower arm(forearm), not the upper arm, assuming you bend the elbow.

Sounds better together...so its a way to keep your arm planes in check and maximize leverage. Your tricep and back of hand should be on the same swing plane.

he is asking for advice, not a cop out.

It's not a cop out. According to his info he has been playing 10 years and is primarily a forehand player learning the backhand. If it were a player with a year of experience I would say something different. Maybe you should take other factors in before you comment on something you may not understand.

He's looking for 100'-150 added on to his drives. It's not unrealistic to want that but in my years of being in the game it usually doesn't happen with just one adjustment.

Each detection of a flaw in your mechanics can lead to an increase if distance. If you have been playing for a while that increase can be from 10' to 100' depending on the change. But most likely each change may lead to an additional 25'-50' that will add up to his desired increase.

With all the years I play I still strive to get better and get frustrated sometimes with my game. But I still believe that everyone hits their max sooner or later. No matter how much you practice or train or what ever you will eventually reach your absolute max. If it weren't the case then everyone would be able to eventually throw 500' and not everyone can.

Last edited:
He's not asking for one adjustment. You sound like you might not have had proper guidance, moat people have 400' easily as long as they aren't physically handicapped. Anyone that is normal has 500' potential with proper guidance. His request is nothing out of the ordinary. His potential is limited to his willingness to practice and seek proper advice, while also being able to apply this advice.

Maybe you need to realize that not all disc golfers are created equal.

I agree. Of course, technique is important and nearly everyone's technique can be improved. However, athleticism is an a big part of this game. You can't teach strength, speed, coordination and flexibility; these are critical elements of the game.

If it was all about technique, then all the technique gurus on this board would be 1000+ rated. As far as I know, they are not.

moat people have 400' easily as long as they aren't physically handicapped. Anyone that is normal has 500' potential with proper guidance.

I disagree. I've been playing disc golf for nearly 15 years in northern California and this does not match up with my experience. Average distances have been increasing, but not at that magnitude.

on my best days i can throw 400 to 430 "luck" i see it as, but i think from my experiences in trying to throw for more distance i have tried so many new ways to throw until i found a comfortable grip to work with. i worked from there until i became more consistent. stick with a disc you are familiar with is what i did. just don't try too many new things at once it can really throw your game off, thats what happened to me! Best of luck!

I disagree. I've been playing disc golf for nearly 15 years in northern California and this does not match up with my experience. Average distances have been increasing, but not at that magnitude.
The thing is that most adult males have the physical ability to throw that far, but a very small percent have access to the training required to do so. A small percent of those that have access to the training are willing to put in the work (which is a lot) to do so. So you're pretty much stuck with a really small percent that work to learn it on their own and those that just got it naturally. Because those percents are so small it appears as if it takes some special physical attribute to throw that far, but really it's just that there is no incentive to learn to teach people to throw that far or to spend the time to learn to throw that far.

Short version: it doesn't take any special physical attribute to throw that far, it takes really specific timing and few have the patience to learn that timing. There's nothing wrong with that; most don't like their hobbies to feel like work.

I agree. Of course, technique is important and nearly everyone's technique can be improved. However, athleticism is an a big part of this game. You can't teach strength, speed, coordination and flexibility; these are critical elements of the game.

If it was all about technique, then all the technique gurus on this board would be 1000+ rated. As far as I know, they are not.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I know several players who have been playing 6+ years and possess beautiful form, but can barely max out at 320'...I think raw athleticism plays a huge part in any sport, and if you have enough of that then your potential is higher. It doesn't mean that all athletic guys will be good at disc golf, just that they have a higher ceiling for growth. A natural knack for speed, coordination, and flexibility are intangibles that cannot be taught in a clinic.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I know several players who have been playing 6+ years and possess beautiful form, but can barely max out at 320'...I think raw athleticism plays a huge part in any sport, and if you have enough of that then your potential is higher. It doesn't mean that all athletic guys will be good at disc golf, just that they have a higher ceiling for growth. A natural knack for speed, coordination, and flexibility are intangibles that cannot be taught in a clinic.

Yep. I don't know why people think disc golf is different than any other sport where strength and athleticism make a difference. If u have two players with comparable technique, the one with more strength will throw farther.

Yep. I don't know why people think disc golf is different than any other sport where strength and athleticism make a difference. If u have two players with comparable technique, the one with more strength will throw farther.
But as someone noted in a thread a little while ago, in other sports "regular" people seem to get to about 80% of the performance of the top athletes but in disc golf they don't. If disc golf is like other sports, then "regular" people will top out near 500' if the top throwers top out near 600'. Right now they don't. They top out closer to 67% for someone throwing 400' or 58% for someone throwing 350'. That discrepancy isn't because it's more physically demanding to throw a disc, it's because most people haven't learned the technique to get to that 80%.

I'm saying the difference you see there isn't physical makeup, it's the lack of incentive to learn to throw that far and to learn to teach people to throw that far. So yes, strength and athleticism does play a part, but it doesn't play a larger part in disc golf than it does in other sport. It will only get you that last 20%, not 40%.

You can't teach strength, speed, coordination and flexibility; these are critical elements of the game.

you certainly can teach all of those things. martial artists especially.

you can work out to get strength. you can stretch to get flexible. practice for speed (if you can improve punching speed you can improve disc golf acceleration), and coordination can be learned with practice. granted, it can be very hard for some people to learn all of these things especially if they aren't bent towards them. but saying you can't learn them is BS