• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

375ft to win a World Championship?

The last time I played with Barry Schultz was in May of 2011. I dont recall any of his drives going over 375' and he was able to put together 1057 rated round. He was 17 out of 18 once he was arrived to the circle.

The last time I played with Barry Schultz was in May of 2011. I dont recall any of his drives going over 375' and he was able to put together 1057 rated round. He was 17 out of 18 once he was arrived to the circle.

Thank you for sharing that little tidbit. :thmbup:

Barry can easily throw over 375'. Especially if you're talking about his max D. He's done it in videos I've seen of him this year.

Yeah barry can throw really far! 17 out of 18 inside the circle sounds about right. Im sure he felt he could of shot better

Barry 925 feet in two in 99' on 911, 15 foot putt. So fairway driver 460+. They say his drive went 500 bills.

300 max / 250 deadly. Makes all putts. The top women usually hover around par, so keep that in mind.

There are only so many women that can throw over 300 feet anyway. The skill gap is much greater in FPO than MPO.

The top girls all can reach 400 max distance and they make most putts inside the circle. Maybe not all putts, but most. It seems you seriously underestimate the skills necessary to win world's right now in either the men's or women's open division. Watch Paige, Cat, Val, or any of the top girls. At most tournaments they are beating half the men's open field. I know Val is rated higher than alt of the guys I know who choose to play open and they even cash occasionally. Yes, the gap between top girls and the top guys is alot but those girls are very good and would beat most guys. As many have stated 400ft is not a crazy distance to achieve worth some athleticism and good form. Strength is not necessary really at all to throw modern drivers 400 ft. Technique and timing is.

Barry 925 feet in two in 99' on 911, 15 foot putt. So fairway driver 460+. They say his drive went 500 bills.

Correct, the video is on YouTube. Barry can still easily reach 400ft nearly 15 years later. Even Mike Raley the 2013 Grandmasters champ can reach 400ft backhand and sidearm max distance. The champs are good. That's why they are current champs.

That's also 14 years ago.

That course is also 10x harder now with 14 years of growth on all the trees and some changes to the layout. RFDO two years ago we had an A-tier and the big guns came through (mcbeth, wysocki, feldberg, etc) there were only a handful of 3's on that hole. Course record is 47 (wysocki) with a course par of 57.

Can't wait for the NT this year, Rochester is closing out the schedule with the 40th Annual Rochester Flying Disc Open.

It seems you seriously underestimate the skills necessary to win world's right now in either the men's or women's open division.

Actually my whole argument is that it takes a lot of things. And huge distance is not one them.

I swear that I read a thread based on the exact same Climo statement on that other discy reviewy website. I think it boiled down to somebody taking Mr. 300' of deadly accuracy and 30' chain banger, and plugging him in to 7 major NT events of that year. If I recall correctly, he would have won 5/7. I think there was something about if he could throw 325' and make 35' and in, he would have won all of them. I'm not saying I think it's possible, but it is something to ponder. Or maybe I just made that up from some mis-remembered other crap...

Barry doesn't throw nearly as far as he used to. After he broke his hand at the Memorial a few years ago, his grip hasn't been quite as strong. This causes a reduction in power.

The big difference between the pros and us DGCR posters is this. When we post distance we throw our driver, it is MAX D without accuracy, that we pulled off 1 time in a lucky wind, haha.....when they post distance it is the distance they are comfortable getting, reliably, and can count on in a tourney round. So when Climo said "needs to be able to throw 375'" he wasn't saying max D, he was saying accurate disc golf distance.

I don't know a person alive playing disc golf whose max d is accurate. EVERYONE can throw a little farther if they forget accuracy. Hell Wiggins/Gurthie both have thrown over 800'. That isn't their golf distance. I bet they have a comfortable distance more around 500'-550' feet (or possibly more, but even at 600' that's a huge change from accurate to inaccurate distance)

When Ricky says he throws his putter 400', he doesn't mean once. He means controllable. If I say i throw my Roc 400' it is the one time i got a perfect S, and a bit of tail wind and parked a whole based purely on luck, but it's the internet so I boast about it (not true, I haven't pulled that off except downhill, ha)

I always try to post my comfortable distances I throw discs. You know, if i step up to a hole and it is X feet, I know my Teebird goes X feet reliably (well as reliably as I can throw), so that is my accurate distance.

First of all, one thing I don't understand is all this talk of max d without accuracy. I guess the way I learned to throw (Comets and putters only for a while then fairways then, etc.) makes it difficult for me to throw wild max d shots, but if I'm trying to throw farther it's just a harder version of my regular throw. Are you guys really going out into fields or on the course and just spraying as hard as you can? What's the point of that?

Second of all, if you think someone can win a world championship without having all the tools that the rest of the field has, including big distance, you're fooling yourself. You need everything to compete at that level, and saying that you don't is severely underestimating the competition. Have you never watched recorded rounds of elite players? They regularly throw really far and convert for birdies and eagles.

Oh and while discussion is fun, sometimes it needs a dose of reality. Wake me up when someone wins worlds in this day and age who can't hang with the top throwers in terms of distance. You can speculate (new and improved with imaginary statistics!) all you want, but at some point you have to admit that there's a reason no one throwing 375' is winning consistently against today's elite players.

The fact is that 375' is pretty close to my consistent max d. It's not the farthest I've thrown, but it's a solid max d drive for me right now. And I can tell you that I'm routinely out-driven on the course. So the notion of me bringing that kind of distance to play on the top card of an NT event is pretty laughable. And that's just reality. There are plenty of people in my area who can throw farther than me, and it's clearly a disadvantage when I throw a shot on a 500' hole and come up well short while someone else actually has a putt. It's happened in actual reality, not the world of the internet where nothing is as it seems. That's what I'm basing my argument that no, you can't win with 375' of d in the pdga's top competitive field.

First of all, one thing I don't understand is all this talk of max d without accuracy. I guess the way I learned to throw (Comets and putters only for a while then fairways then, etc.) makes it difficult for me to throw wild max d shots, but if I'm trying to throw farther it's just a harder version of my regular throw. Are you guys really going out into fields or on the course and just spraying as hard as you can? What's the point of that?

Second of all, if you think someone can win a world championship without having all the tools that the rest of the field has, including big distance, you're fooling yourself. You need everything to compete at that level, and saying that you don't is severely underestimating the competition. Have you never watched recorded rounds of elite players? They regularly throw really far and convert for birdies and eagles.

Oh and while discussion is fun, sometimes it needs a dose of reality. Wake me up when someone wins worlds in this day and age who can't hang with the top throwers in terms of distance. You can speculate (new and improved with imaginary statistics!) all you want, but at some point you have to admit that there's a reason no one throwing 375' is winning consistently against today's elite players.

The fact is that 375' is pretty close to my consistent max d. It's not the farthest I've thrown, but it's a solid max d drive for me right now. And I can tell you that I'm routinely out-driven on the course. So the notion of me bringing that kind of distance to play on the top card of an NT event is pretty laughable. And that's just reality. There are plenty of people in my area who can throw farther than me, and it's clearly a disadvantage when I throw a shot on a 500' hole and come up well short while someone else actually has a putt. It's happened in actual reality, not the world of the internet where nothing is as it seems. That's what I'm basing my argument that no, you can't win with 375' of d in the pdga's top competitive field.

Very nice post. I have followed the top Pros around at BRP a course I've played 100+ times. My max is 350 but I struggle to hit that consistently. I'm a bunt. I've shot -6 as my best round. I think I could get to -10 but I have to play darn near perfect. Out of the 100+ rounds I've played there these guys in one round throw better shots on some holes then my best ever. The extra distance on some of these longer 350-750 holes is just a killer. I avg even to -2 most of the time. They just have more birdie holes then I do. Simple math. Hole is wide open and 440 I'm 99% not going to birdie it, they probably do birdie 50-75%.

Barry can throw 450+ still and I consider that big.

This. Barry's top card all the time at events here in NC. But there's a reason he played masters @ worlds once he hit the age. Climo too. Not to take anything away from either, they're both DG badasses. Just tells you what it takes to be a top 10 pro, including D.

+1 for thinking it's unlikely in the extreme to have the kind of skill set this "Mr. 375" would have to have, and not be able to throw farther. This is a fun though exercise, but pretty much a purely academic discussion.

PS

The other thing that I don't think I saw mentioned much in the thread is, course design.

When (if?) Climo said this, if it was early in the warp speed era, well, 500' of juice back then was pretty much useless, because the courses didn't generally ask for it. Took design some time to keep up with the technology.

PS

The other thing that I don't think I saw mentioned much in the thread is, course design.

When (if?) Climo said this, if it was early in the warp speed era, well, 500' of juice back then was pretty much useless, because the courses didn't generally ask for it. Took design some time to keep up with the technology.

majority of courses are still this way. most 9 hole courses I can think of here, and that's a TON-- have no shots over 500' let alone even 450'. Even many of the 18 hole courses only have a few so really how many holes does it benefit a player to have that D over accuracy? Why doesn't avery Jenkins dominate or David Wiggins? They are not very accurate and struggle putting.

Latest posts