• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace signage idea

Nick C

Birdie Member
So I've been seeing some people who get annoyed with ace signings on a basket so I thought I'd share an idea I saw at a local course. The sign at the tee box, that shows you where the pin is at, has a section designated specifically for ace signs. Might be something to suggest to whomever runs your local course and should eliminate most, if not all, basket graffiti

River City Nature Park in Debary FL has a unique one. On the other side of the course sign there is another sign with 9 pegs (only a nine holer) numbered 1-9 and a 10th peg with extra widgets (look like joining biscuits with a hole?).

If you make an ace you take one of the blank biscuits, sign and date and hang it on the hole peg.

Works great.

signing anywhere on the course seems like nothing more than filling a need to brag. why not just write the info on your disc and call it good.

i know, ive never even considered writing something on the basket or sign, thats so lame, most of the names or initials on their you arent going to recognize, so its pointless. you have your friends sign your disc, hang it on the wall if you want, dont vandilize the course. even if there was a place special for it, it would still look trashy.

well ya know, my original home course had a ton of "ace graffiti" on it and i always thought that i couldnt wait for the day that i got to sign a basket...well looking back i am SO GLAD that i didnt hit an ace when i first started...by the time i did hit my first ace i had gained a lot more respect for the game, courses, players etc...and signing anything on at the course such as a sign/basket just seemed disrespectfull....me personally i sign my discs....and i feel that a signed disc is way more bragging rights than a signed basket....bc everytime you bring that disc out people are gonna see it and ask you about it

NEVER sign the basket... Never.

Rookie mistakes. I hate seeing that trash all over my beautiful basket.

I think this idea comes from Walter Payton.

Act like you've been there before, and expect to be there again.

people are always going to feel the need to mark their "accomplishments" on the pin when they go to pick up their disc. I think an area on the backside of the pole that has a list would funnel that need into a specific area and limit the excess garbage that is all over the pin. Show what IS acceptable and people won't go overboard thinking that what they are doing is acceptable.

I recently (as in on Saturday) aced a hole and signed it on the spot. I kind of wish now that I hadn't. For the rest of the day every time I pulled it out of my bag I thought about that throw and it threw me off. In a way, it seriously messed up what was my favorite disk. And when I go to local club stuff now I'm not even sure how often I'll use because I went a little big with it and I don't want to tell the story a million times. I think I might get a new Monarch because.

So just use caution when you do sign the disc. At least when you do it the top instead of the bottom... :eek:

My old home course used to have a list of aces for the year on the board in the parking lot. Just sign your name on the paper, mark the date, hole, position, notes... Seemed to work. We never had issues with ace graffiti... just graffiti.
DSCJNKY

I believe if there is a sign there just for Aces there will be ton's of signatures on there by people that didn't hit an ace. just a thought

My old home course used to have a list of aces for the year on the board in the parking lot. Just sign your name on the paper, mark the date, hole, position, notes... Seemed to work. We never had issues with ace graffiti... just graffiti.
DSCJNKY

I like that idea. I don't think of it as bragging, probably because I don't have any aces to brag about, but I would definitely find it interesting to know who or how many have "aced" any of the course holes.

I believe if there is a sign there just for Aces there will be ton's of signatures on there by people that didn't hit an ace. just a thought

Nothing is preventing those people from signing the basket. I've even seen baskets signed "John - near ace 8/12/2009". What's that?
DSCJNKY

Don't mark the basket or the sign.

My biggest pet peeve on a course is the sign/basket ace markage. No one I personally know or strangers I've seen ace a hole on a course have ever seen mark a sign or basket. Everyone I know and including myself mark the back of the disc they aced with. I'll never understand why people do it. It just makes the course look ugly. I also love not being able to make out the tee sign because it's covered under so many ace markings.

I havent aced one yet but glad I came here because I was set to mark the basket when I did, seeing as I have seen it done before. Makes you think its acceptable or tradition.

I like the disc idea but not a lot of room on the back. Someone could probably make money off of making a big disc for you to write the date, course and hole # you aced as a keep sake.

I recently (as in on Saturday) aced a hole and signed it on the spot. I kind of wish now that I hadn't. For the rest of the day every time I pulled it out of my bag I thought about that throw and it threw me off. In a way, it seriously messed up what was my favorite disk. And when I go to local club stuff now I'm not even sure how often I'll use because I went a little big with it and I don't want to tell the story a million times. I think I might get a new Monarch because.

So just use caution when you do sign the disc. At least when you do it the top instead of the bottom... :eek:

man i love it when i pull out an ace disc...its like an extra confidence booster for me...like the disc has "done it" before and it can do "it" again...and i feel like they have some extra special luck...im still looking for my double ace disc

I like the idea of signing a basket in a tasteful manner with no bad words or pics but on tee signs and surrounding objects is plain stupid. most of the signatures wear off the baskets pretty quick anyway