• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advantages and Disadvantages of throwing faster discs on shorter shots?

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
I like to throw a Nuke OS on many short fh throws 200-300ft...mainly because it feels better fh than the pred I carry. Would I be better off throwing these type of shots with a slower disc? Pros and cons? Anyone else throwing fast discs where something much slower could still reach?

I throw faster discs all the time on forehand shots. i use Lat 64 Vision/ Innova Max, Ape. I have thrown these discs numerous times at 125-250 foot throws even though they are designed for further throws.

I like to throw a Nuke OS on many short fh throws 200-300ft...mainly because it feels better fh than the pred I carry. Would I be better off throwing these type of shots with a slower disc? Pros and cons? Anyone else throwing fast discs where something much slower could still reach?
This depends entirely on the shape of the shot you're looking to produce. I frequently use a Stiletto for shorter shots if I'm looking for a disc that is going to produce a lot of movement after it contacts the ground, or if I'm looking for something to make a meathook fade at the end. It all really depends on your style and what you want out of the throw. I highly recommend learning to use your slower discs with less low speed fade on those shorter shots because of the reliability as they hit the fade portion of the toss, it will make you more accurate on those short straight shots - but your comfort level and what your goal is are both more important when playing competitively (whether just for score and personal edification, or for some sort of payout).

they fly consistently but have a larger margin of error if they are thrown off line and are not going to be as accurate with regards to sticking on the landing.

Faster disc = easier distance but more prone to error
Slower discs = shows your true firms problems but rewards you with greater accuracy.

To put it in golf terms, using a stilleto for your basic 100 foot upshot is like using a 1 wood to ship in from the fringe.

they fly consistently but have a larger margin of error if they are thrown off line
This depends on the stability/overstability of the disc in question. If you're throwing very overstable plastic, you can rely on its flight path - removing some large margin of error you might see with an understable disc of any speed.

I'll throw distance discs on short holes IF I know how they'll move. I don't have the arm speed to get an OLace out 350-400 feet, but at slower speeds, it moves a LOT, and I can get it to sneak around trees from way out left or right. Throw it, learn it. Does it shave a stroke from your round? Does it make you happy? Then stick with it!

usually the only time I will throw something faster than I need to is if there is a low ceiling or if there is enough room to throw a spike hyzer or hyzer bomb that is easier than throwing just a normal throw. so an advantage of doing this is that it should stick in the ground on a spike but a disadvantage is if u don't get it to land vertical enough u could get bad rolls or skips more so than a midrange or even fairway

You are better off using the disc that gets you closer to the basket, even if that means a Nuke OS on a 150' shot or a putter on a 300' shot.
This. I used to toss an Eagle thumber style for everything from 50' out, and did so with good accuracy. Now I've got a bag full of discs and try to throw the "right disc for the situation". Went back and played the course where I learned to play with my giant bag of discs and scored about the same as I did when I was a one-disc-wonder years and years ago. That was my "ah-hah" moment when I quit trying to conform to the dogma found on this and other sites and began throwing what works for me again. My scores have only improved a little, but my enjoyment has gone up significantly, mostly because I'm less frustrated.

The thing about throwing fast, OS discs for forehand shots is that you get most of the advantages, but few of the disadvantages.

The advantages you get are a reliable fade, some extra distance and resilience to OAT (which is common for forehand shots). The main disadvantage is less control. Many times people use forehand for a fairly limited number of shots. They don't need it to be OAT free or to be able to shape any line. They just need a big hyzer or a straight shot that fades hard in the opposite direction as their backhand shot. So you end up using a disc that hides the flaws you don't really want, or need, to really work out and the only disadvantage is less control, but you aren't shaping a line, anyway so that doesn't matter. As long as you know what the disc will do when you throw it with your limited forehand skill you don't really need anything else.

This is all a bit different if you're forehand dominant and aren't already really good, but most people you don't need a really good forehand, you just need a good enough forehand.

The one thing to be careful of is to pick something that's not very speed sensitive. If you have a disc like that and throw it into just a bit too much of a headwind you can end up way off from where you want to be.

I think it's all good to throw faster plastic if you're laying up. If you want to go for the basket, and not blow past it leaving yourself with a long putt, then throw something with less speed. Personally I think that within 200' you should be going for the basket unless there is some kind of hazard or risk.

I keep a nicely beat up DF Boss that I found when I was fishing out one of my discs earlier this season. It's perfect for huge hyzers around trees even if only 150 feet out. It powers down nicely and I can push it out three hundred something with the huge fade for doglegs as well. I know it's not the full potential of the Boss but it works real nicely for me in some situations I wasn't sure about before.

When I want a short shot to hook hard and stay put, I usually reach for my Drone... especially if there's some vertical room to work.
When I want the shot to end up significantly farther than where it first lands, (i.e. skip) I reach for a Z Pred or a newer Boss... especially if there's a low ceiling. The faster OS discs "penetrate" farther lefte/right when you have to keep them low.

Another reason I throw faster discs than "I need to" is that I can back off a bot on the power and get a bit more accuracy. I often use a US speed 10 or 11 instead of a Tee Bird, or a Leopard where I could use a mid... somtimes allows me to get the deisred distance with less velocity, hence greater accurancy.

I've seen some pretty good players use faster discs to run at Skip Aces on holes they could reach with slower discs... they plan on hitting the ground and sskipping, which limits how far they blow past the pin. Using a Mid or putter, they typically need to be pin high to have a shot at an Ace, so if they miss, it's typically a longer putt for deuce.

Last edited:
I do this all the time. I learned to do this because of watching some of best in wisco do it. I guess ill throw out names the first time playing with chris herren I noticed it alot on holes I was throwing rocs or drones and hes pulling out a force to throw 240 feet. Keith warren does it a lot too. Played with him at cato falls while he went on to win the silver cup(a tier) and I think every hole that was wide open and short he was throwing his star max gently skipping it under the basket. He also threw his max on all the long holes almost parking hole 18 -450 ft. He threw his roc I can recall 4 times cause he needed a turnover shot and all those shots were over 300. Play the shot not the distance is what I do. I also followed dave feldbeardless around at standing rocks 2 years ago. I dont know what hole it is but its a hole I throw a roc or putter down hill with a tiny gap. He was holding a roc and changed the last second to a driver(no idea what driver). Parked the hole.

Another reason I throw faster discs than "I need to" is that I can back off a bot on the power and get a bit more accuracy. I often use a US speed 10 or 11 instead of a Tee Bird, or a Leopard where I could use a mid... somtimes allows me to get the deisred distance with less velocity, hence greater accurancy.
I actually find the opposite to be true with powering down discs backhand. I find increased accuracy & consistency by not having to disc up. I like to throw the slowest disc I can at all times. I find that always throwing with about the same amount of power just changing discs helps me to stay more consistent. This allows my form, run up & back swing to stay consistent at all times. The only situations I disc up is if I want a skip shot or on shots that need to fade very hard left (RHBH). I rarely come across a shot that needs to fade hard left that I don't already have an over stable disc in my bag meant for that particular distance range. I also find that throwing a slower stable disc on a hyzer allows me to not have to disc up very often. The reason I throw skip shots with faster discs (usually over stable drivers) is that I find that drivers tend to skip easier & farther than Mids/Putters. In my experience if you have every stability covered (Over Stable, Stable, Under Stable) in your bag within all disc categories (Putters, Mids etc.) you don't need to power down discs much, if at all. A lot of people like to disc up to a more over stable disc when it gets windy but in my experience that is counterproductive or even a hindrance to disc golfers overall growth. Feldberg talks about what I referenced to about the wind in this video.

Sidearm is a different story. Most Mids & Putters aren't comfortable with my grip for forehand shots. Though I do occasionally flick putters for get out of trouble shots or a bad shot that has me in an award stance. Fairway & Distance Drivers feel fine with my sidearm grip so I prefer to power down drivers for sidearm shots. I fell comfortable throwing under & over stable drivers sidearm but not so much when it comes to Mids/Putters. When the snows gone I'm going to be working on flicking Mids & Putters. From what I've seen a majority of people who throw sidearm prefer over stable drivers, which are easier to power down than under stable drivers. Over stable disc also mask form flaws, consistently fade & allow OAT without any major accuracy issues. This is why from my observations that people tend to power down discs sidearm & flick over stable drivers. My grip not feeling comfortable is the main reason I power down drivers but I will be working to get my sidearm on par with my backhand so I won't have to. In most situations I feel powering down discs is not necessarily bad but allows for more inconsistencies & room for error (especially because many people change their form/back swing when powering down discs).

The only discs I throw at less that their rated speed are my putters when there's a chance of overshooting the target area. Everything else is ranged to land chain high at slow speeds (except hyzer spikes) which ends up within 15' behind the basket if you miss. Now, you won't get a big skip with a narrow rim unless you're on really hard ground so that would be my only exception.

Being a FH dominant player i use faster than necessary discs quite often in order to get the shot shape i need. Most times it has to do with low ceiling shots. If im 250 feet out and have a low ceiling i'll throw a P PD or S PD instead of a Teebird or Banshee since i can get there with less effort. It really just comes down to how well you know your discs and being able to execute the right shot.

If you need to throw a lower line, go for a little bit faster disc.

Like a Leopard instead of a Roc.

Latest posts