• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Selling] Alan Pier Spider-3 Pole Hole/Basket for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnt1969

Bogey Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have an Allen Pier "Spider-3" Disc Golf Pole Hole for sale. Most new players will not recognize this pole hole but the pros who have been around a little while will recognize it. It is widely regarded as the best catching disc golf basket ever created. After 4 knee surgeries it's time to get rid of it and stop throwing discs.

The Spider-3 was manufactured by Allen Pier in Peru, IN. They were widely used in the mid to late 90's in the world championships and other tournaments in IN, IL, OH and MI. He stopped manufacturing them when he was threatened with a law suit because the chains hung in a parabolic fashion. If not for that lawsuit we would probably be using Spider-3's on the top courses in the country. For those who remember Cabin Creek during any World Championships in Cincinnati, this is the basket that was used on that course.

This basket is Galvanized Steel with 3 sets of Stainless Steel Chains. It breaks down in to 6 parts for easy transport. It is more sturdy than the heavy duty Mach III which sells for over $420. It would be a great practice basket for a serious disc golfer.

The basket is in Raleigh, NC right now.

Go Here for pictures

Asking $300

Email me at [email protected] if interested.

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

im with ST, I can get a New Titan for a little more that you are asking which has pretty close to the same design and probably catches just as well.

This is a quality basket. no one better dare talk it down to be anything less.

Al pier is a disc golf legned in indiana. and makes the most solid baskets

he charges 350 for a new one.
So the price could come down a tiny bit but i wish i had some money.

oh you east coaster that has never played on one of these master pieces. Catches incredibly.

The rust isnt that bad. and it is worth alot more than 125. I would say 250-275 is fair.

And i will respectfully disagree and go buy a portable discater with a second set of chains for less

I do see your point. But you are underselling this basket.

These were not built or designed as practice baskets so paying a practice basket price for a serious bucket isnt the case.

I am not trying to be on edge but this thing is a legitimate portable basket you could use for an alt hole at tournaments.

I am going to try to come up with some money because all the courses here in fort wayne have these and T.S. Condor owns 18 portable and is the one who volunteers and donates these for the use at worlds when they expand courses in the midwest.

wouldnt hurt to have one on hand for tourney use.

well with no rust i would say usually 70% cost of basket new so like 245 if you take off 105 now with the rust i have to think maybe 210 is a solid price but local sale might be better since freight will kill this deal at any price! looks nice...how old is it?

The Al Peir Spider-3 basket IS the BEST basket on or off the market today and for the last 20 years or so!! And they sell for $420 brand new!! A used one in this shape I would not take less than $250-$275 for it!!!

i'm not saying the disc is or isn't worth 250-300, but if you have an issue with someone's price, PM them. It sounds like this basket may be worth it to someone who knows what it is. Just because you don't know exactly what it is, is not a reason to call them out in public. I just think its rude to question someone's price like that in public is all.

I really think that the rust on the pole isn't that bad, but I think that the seller would probably have a lot more luck if he were to grind it off an maybe hit it with a can of galvanizing paint. A little effort would go a long way to make this basket look and sell better. $125 is WAY too low IMO. I got a second set of high-quality galvanized chain (like the kind on this basket) to replace the crap chains that are on my discatcher. I paid just over $95 for the chains alone. And no, I'm not a sucker, that's really what good quality chains cost.

And i will respectfully disagree and go buy a portable discater with a second set of chains for less
Agreed... and not break your back (or duffle bag) transporting it.

Nice basket but has seen better days without a doubt; as soon as a couple center bars break on the basket, it's basically in the scrap pile or you are hiring a welder - not cheap. I agree $125 + $50 S&H is reasonable. $150 local sale pickup (or $175 local delivery) is probably a better idea for both parties.

Last edited:
From an outsider's perspective I think what the OP is asking for is pretty fair. Did a hefty amount of research and talking to other DG'ers back in the midwest and not only are these buckets pretty rare, but it seems like a majority of people believe these to be the best buckets in existence. Given the rarity and the high quality, I think the OP's asking price is more than justified, especially if it includes shipping.

Just because something looks brand new doesn't mean that it's better. This is especially when you start getting into collector's and specialty items.

Last edited:
Wow. I just popped back on and there's lots of conversation about the basket. It's interesting what everyone has to say about it. Obviously some might not have played on a Pier basket before. It catches better than anything out there now. But anyway... That's neither here nor there.

Regarding the condition. There is actually very little rust. Most of what you are seeing is staining that has washed down from the rings that hold the bottom of chain sets. Those are definitely rusted. There is very little rust on the Poles, Basket and Base. I replaced the chains last year with all Stainless Steel. I don't remember the exact cost but it was not inexpensive.

I've always kept the threads well lubed. The basket has never locked up so it couldn't be taken apart. It's definitely the most solid "portable" basket you're going to find.

I'll let you know what it sells for. I've got a few offers already (from guys in Indiana, Ohio and NC) and a guy who is on the way to the house right now. I just want it to go to someone who will enjoy it and hopefully use it to improve their game. I wish I could keep playing but the doc says I need to take it easy on the knees. The 4th knee surgery was pretty nasty. I have to try to stop from having a 5th.

If anyone here is interested please send an email to [email protected]. I don't check the board as often as I check my email.

Oh... btw. It's worth WAY more than $125. I actually think $300 is a fair price for it. It's less pricey than a new one and way nicer than any portable out there. You could easily plant this and it would last forever as a permanent pole hole. Way longer than the Disc Catcher's that they have been putting on the new courses out here. Those things seem to fall apart quickly.

... It catches better than anything out there now...

...Oh... btw. It's worth WAY more than $125. I actually think $300 is a fair price for it...
Thanks for your unbiased opinions.^ Maybe the national museum of disc golf will come offer you $500?

I'll stick with my $100 go-anywhere (easily) Skillshot. If I was gonna spend $250+, I'd get... waidumminit, I wouldn't spend over about $100 on a backyard/travel basket... I'd just go to the course and play. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.