• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your website sounds really fishy and it redirects to facebook for whatever reason. I'd suggest you keep your beliefs out of it, you lost me and probably a bunch of others because of it, but its your right. It also sounds like you don't have a good understanding of how a disc golf tournament works. Cant wait for you to try and revive the Salient brand next.

Disc Golf is already its own religion. It's a common place for all religious and non-religious alike to gather peacefully and savor the Holy Flight of our Sacred Discs, respecting and encouraging one another to enjoy time outdoors and exist well, in addition to exalting the course, all of its amenities, including the entire park or property itself. We openly convey positivity so that others passing by can take notice of our superior projectile activity and one day join us.

Some call it "Frisbeetarianism."

So as far as all of that stuff goes, what I'm saying is...it's covered. Steady Ed Headrick #001 (the inventor of the basket) initiated the blessing in 1975 that continues to radiate in all directions (just like a basket can catch a Disc from all directions) on every course worldwide and beyond. It's good through at least the year 2200, when somebody at the PDGA will have to renew his membership for another 224 years.

Thus, it won't be necessary to use Disc Golf as a vehicle to openly proselytize any of the outside-the-course religions (aka "real" religions). Please. The place for that is called "church." Knock yourself out there.

The course, by the way, literally IS a sanctuary. The sign I saw while walking to my very first tee and very first basket 31.5 years ago said so:

Fullscreen-capture-1172020-55601-AM-bmp.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

So as you can see there's a lot of ... dislike ... for organized religion here in the disc golf world. As a Christian myself, I rarely - actually NEVER try to witness, whatever out on the course and strongly recommend you do the same Tom because of the reactions you'll like the above posts. It just isn't worth the time and effort when you get reactions like that. We live in a culture that is rather intolerant of religious speak and there are a lot of reasons for that most of which religion has itself to blame.

My suggestion is do what I do (although I do it badly) is don't talk about your faith but live it out. Be an example.

Let me point out one example of a religious organization who did a great job running a youth tournament this summer, the Eagles Wings Regional. It was held at The Breakers in Holland, MI, on a church campus. Not once in the entire tournament did I feel like I was being proselytized. We gathered together and had a blast, passing on our wondrous game to the next generation. I think the tourney's logo had a tiny verse you all but need a magnifying glass to see, and that's it.

We'll be taking my son to it next summer. It was great.

Let me point out one example of a religious organization who did a great job running a youth tournament this summer, the Eagles Wings Regional. It was held at The Breakers in Holland, MI, on a church campus. Not once in the entire tournament did I feel like I was being proselytized. We gathered together and had a blast, passing on our wondrous game to the next generation. I think the tourney's logo had a tiny verse you all but need a magnifying glass to see, and that's it.

We'll be taking my son to it next summer. It was great.

That's great to hear! I am good friends with the couple that ran that tourney.

Tom,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to slow things down. Your unfamiliarity with the disc golf world is glaringly obvious, and you need to settle into the community before you start doing all this stuff. Get out and play some disc golf. Join your local club. Join the PDGA. Enter a few tournaments. Volunteer to help with existing events. Accept that there's a lot you need to learn, and keep your mouth shut and pay attention so you can learn it. THEN you'll know what you're doing and you can introduce something new and positive.

No offense, but your choice of the American Disc Golf Association name demonstrates how out of touch you are. The American Disc Golf Tour has nothing but bad vibes around it, and you DO NOT want to associate yourself with it by giving your venture a similar name. It's like a student I had once who thought swastikas looked cool, so he would draw them on stuff. I had to explain to him that when other people saw the swastikas he drew they didn't think, "cool-looking symbol," they thought "evil Nazi thing."

I'm also a Christian, and I totally understand the impulse to put your faith at the center of everything you do, but it has to happen organically. Charging in with something half-baked and slapping a Christian sticker on it is not a good look. Davetherocketguy said it well. Make sure that what you're doing is about serving the community and doing positive things for other people, not about showing people how awesome your ideas are. LISTEN. EARN people's respect, and they'll respect your faith.

There are a lot of internal contradictions in what you're trying to do. Be open to learning, and get things straightened out before you actually try anything. I wish you the best.

One positive thing—the .fun domain. That's good.

>>That's great to hear! I am good friends with the couple that ran that tourney.<<

Not to mention good old Al Haaksma was there. Haven't seen him in more than 15 years. Such a great guy! And yes, the tourney was run excellently by the people in charge. Loved the Friday doubles with parent/child the day before the tourney.

OK.....trolling is over. I am out. If you cannot go a day and a half, into a couple threads with honest people giving you their time and genuine insight, without spewing your personal dogma, then you are not here with an honest proposal. There is no room in a business plan for your God contingencies. Beliefs are a personal held deal, disc golf does not need saving. Good day.

It is my guess, this is why you are moving sport to sport looking for a payday.

Sir / Mam - I simply replied to someone's statement that " The real task is all the other stuff that needs to be done to make it a quality tournament. "

If I need to accomplish "tasks" - I pray about about it and personally realize that " all things can be done through Christ " - so, therefore I don't stress it . . .

LOL @ "spewing dogma" - really?

FWIW - I appreciate the insight that members have shared. I've learned a lot.

I haven't read / studied the rule book yet. Regardless of "sanctioning" - we will follow the PDGA rules.

And that's why your plans are ridiculous. You don't know the rules or how to play disc golf, but you are expecting people to trust you to make rules calls when issues arise. You've already wasted so much of the PDGA's time asking questions you can find online. Have you even signed up to join the PDGA?

Your website sounds really fishy and it redirects to facebook for whatever reason.

Fishy? It redirects to facebook for now while we build out the website. [ notice the "coming soon" in my sig? ]

I'd suggest you keep your beliefs out of it, you lost me and probably a bunch of others because of it, but its your right.

Thanks for your input. I'm in the Bible Belt - Christ is welcome.

So as you can see there's a lot of ... dislike ... for organized religion here in the disc golf world.

I made a simple personal statement " We can do all things through Christ " - and, to me, it is most def true . . .

Not witnessing or preaching - just a statement. If it offends peeps - that is their problem, not mine . . .

Volunteer to help with existing events. Accept that there's a lot you need to learn, and keep your mouth shut and pay attention so you can learn it.

We are doing just that in Jan and Feb. I'll be able to see the back end first hand.

Charging in with something half-baked and slapping a Christian sticker on it is not a good look.

I made a simple personal statement. We will start every Tournament with a Prayer and also the National Anthem. Peeps don't have to participate if they don't wish.

And that's why your plans are ridiculous. You don't know the rules or how to play disc golf, but you are expecting people to trust you to make rules calls when issues arise.

Depending on sanctioning, plan is to have someone that is Certified locally to handle those calls. I will personally learn the rules prior to marketing the Tournaments. No different than Baseball or Golf Tournaments.

Have you even signed up to join the PDGA?

If they are able to sanction our Events, this will be a priority.

Fishy? It redirects to facebook for now while we build out the website. [ notice the "coming soon" in my sig? ]

Thanks for your input. I'm in the Bible Belt - Christ is welcome.

Yes, fishy with the .fun, I look at the wed address and just think that someone is trying to scam me. I went to it because I don't think you are trying to scam people. And facebook is an issue for those of us that don't do facebook or any mainstream social media.

I think you need to take a huge step back and learn the sport of disc golf before you take the sport down a peg like the American Disc Golf Tour did. You come off as very cocky and arrogant and have nothing to back it up. In other threads you say you have learned a lot about disc golf but I have yet to see that you have learned anything.

Just a tip again. If you keep throwing your religious beliefs around, you're gunna have a bad time.

Depending on sanctioning, plan is to have someone that is Certified locally to handle those calls. I will personally learn the rules prior to marketing the Tournaments. No different than Baseball or Golf Tournaments.

If they are able to sanction our Events, this will be a priority.

I believe that in order to be a TD then you will have to be a certified official. You could probably make a killing off you live streaming yourself taking the officials exam.

And its not if THEY are able to sanction your event. Its if YOU follow the rules and get it sanctioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.