• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I wonder how hard 25k views are? I know that most other disc golf broadcasts rarely break more then 2 or 3k views at a time. But that is viewers watching simultaneously, not total unique views. I wonder if anybody has gotten close to that number for other broadcasts? Hard to know without inside intel from smashboxx et al.

I've seen 4k+ simultaneously, yeah. I think you can see some YouTube data, if my wife lets me back on the computer...

The hole in one car is donated by "Chrysler Group LLC," but that name is no longer in use. So, there's that.

First post by the way. This great thread got me involved. Cheers!

The hole in one car is donated by "Chrysler Group LLC," but that name is no longer in use. So, there's that.

Oh ****. What a way to pop your cherry. If you can put up with this craziness, and are even drawn in by it. You will fit in just fine around here.

If something as simple as garnering 25k views really does progress this thing to cable TV. I see some logic in the "it's our fault if this fails" rhetoric. I feel a duty to spread the word, share the feed, and attempt to attract as much attention to the live action trainwreck.

Welcome fulspeed !

So anyone knowledgable know how to find unique viewers on YouTube vids? I would look into some of the good vids to see the view count, but I don't believe it counts unique viewers.

My question is - since it's not on YouTube to randomly find later, I doubt there will be much audience to seek it out after the event.

I think their best bet is to hire one of those talented folks to come up with a fake viral video making scene, something that makes it need to be shared.

And maybe the smart people can see how many minutes need to be viewed to count? I have my phone, wife's phone, home computer, work computer - that's 4 views. 24,996 to go!

I'm mildly curious as to whether those views need to be simultaneous, lengthy, or just at some point during the broadcast. There might be a lot of disc golfers awed by ESPN, willing to sign in for a few minutes to do their part to boost the sport to the bigtime. Presumably, ESPN requires more than that.

DGPlanet.tv was able to pull in over 6,000 simultaneous views for Worlds. (A couple years back, before they started charging)

This is not Worlds. But it's also not on an unknown website like dgplanet.

This is from the worldwide leader in sports. I can see 25K unique views at some point in the broadcast, if all the stars align.

Just slightly short of "the DRIVE to bring professional disc golf events to millions of live viewers."

I suppose they mean, eventually.

You are right, welcome to dgcr.

From their website:
Jeep Renegade donated by Chrysler Group LLC with hole-in-one
Feature on ESPN3 for top finishers in both Amateur and Pro Divisions

Wiki:
FCA US LLC, also known as simply Chrysler (/ˈkraɪslər/), is an American automobile manufacturer headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan and owned by holding company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, headquartered in London, U.K.[4] Chrysler is one of the "Big Three" American automobile manufacturers. It sells vehicles worldwide under its flagship Chrysler brand, as well as the Dodge, Jeep and Ram Trucks. Other major divisions include Mopar, its automotive parts and accessories division, and SRT, its performance automobile division. In 2014, FCA US LLC is the seventh biggest automaker in the world by production.

DGPlanet.tv was able to pull in over 6,000 simultaneous views for Worlds. (A couple years back, before they started charging)

This is from the worldwide leader in sports. I can see 25K unique views at some point in the broadcast, if all the stars align.
25k would take a miracle in my opinion.

Here's why
the final round video of the 2015 usdgc has been up for on YouTube for 122 days and in that time it has had 85k views.
And to watch it all you need is an electronic device and a connection or a Internet cafe or a library for example.

But now to watch an event that's never been done before from a company that not many people like with so far a smaller pool of players.
And you have to have access to espn3
Which means you have to be paying for satellite/cable and have a compatible devices and a compatible satellite/cable provide. For example I can't watch some things on my laptop because my cable provider doesn't support it yet. Or you might have a good friend.

Here's another interesting fact from espn apparently espn3 and watchespn app is available to 93 million homes including electronic devices.But only averaged 6.7 million devices per month which includes mainstream sports. Which means that basically 86 million people didn't have easy access compatible devices or the need or desire to watch their favorite sporting event on espn3.

I think it will be lucky to break 10k if it's not a tight race for 1st

If it's a tight race for 1st I could see it somewhere between 10k and 15k

Last edited:
And I wonder how many of those 85k views are similar to the 6 or so times I clicked on that darn vid thinking it was finally edited coverage? I didn't actually watch it, ever.

I saw 2015 Worlds hit 6k in the live stream, and I was impressed. If all the people complaining about the event and all the people aware and interested in it and all of the people who dislike live coverage tune in to see if it's any better than what we've had ALL tune in, I still can't see breaking 15k...I'd be surpised if it broke 10k.

Edit: Not because it's ADGT, just because it's disc golf.

Last edited:
How many people, scrolling through the listings on ESPN3, might see disc golf, think "WTH?", click on it to see just wth, watch for 45 seconds and move on to what they were looking for?

Will those count towards the 25,000?

While ESPN is a well known brand name, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app are no more of a "known" entity than DGPlanet when it comes to watching disc golf. No one is browsing ESPN3 just to see what's on. They're going there for a specific purpose...usually a specific game/event.

So it will be disc golfers watching the coverage, just like it is for DGPlanet or Smashboxx. And for disc golfers who want to watch, they'll seek it out on ESPN3 the same way they did for DGPlanet and Smashboxx. What ESPN3 lacks is the direct link option where people can share the event on social media and the video stream is a simple click away for anyone who sees the message. That sort of thing is the biggest way that DGP and Smashboxx increase their live viewership. For ESPN3, if one doesn't already have the app installed or has not already used the website, they've got hoops to jump through before they even get to the stream itself...downloading the app, logging in (which might include looking up or even creating a login account with their ISP), searching for the event, etc.

The other issue is it that things don't get archived forever on ESPN3 the way they do on Youtube or Livestream (at least not in a searchable way). There is going to be minimal opportunity for people watching days/weeks after the event to pad the unique viewer numbers of any given event.

I think believing that the magic four letters of ESPN is going to dramatically increase viewing interest in a disc golf broadcast, particularly on a spring weekend day where plenty of people are more likely to be on the course rather than in front of a computer or TV, is naive at best. The success or failure of this venture is going to come down to the quality of the product on screen...both the golf and the production value.

It depends on how rabid the fanbase is..the only I reason I even know what ESPN3 is, is because my hometown college (University of Montana) made the playoffs this past season and that was where they showed the games.

I went to the effort to Google espn3, download the app on my phone and my wifes tablet, and tune in to watch the game.

There could easily be 25k disc golfers willing to do the same...if ADGT was advertised. Or presented themselves even slightly professionally.

I will admit to being ignorant of ESPN 3's reach. I thought it was just like espn.com, or something (available and viewed by millions every day).

But even with dontblamethedisc's numbers, if only 1% of those who already have the service log on and view the event, that's 67K right there. Like David said, if curiosity views count toward the total, it's feasible.

Edit: I agree with Andy. If enough disc golfers know about it, we could hit the number ourselves.

Who knows. 25,000 seems like an awfully large number for disc golfers, and an awfully small number nationwide, or worldwide.

It's hard for me to imagine 25,000 disc golfers tuning in---or anything remotely close to it. It's also hard for me to imagine 25,000 non-disc-golfers being a significant number to impress ESPN, especially to lead towards a TV broadcast. But I admit to having no idea.

But clearly, the ADGT is banking on both. They're courting disc golfers to watch and show their support. At the same time, the whole point is to bring disc golf to a wider public audience than just disc golfers.

It depends on how rabid the fanbase is..the only I reason I even know what ESPN3 is, is because my hometown college (University of Montana) made the playoffs this past season and that was where they showed the games.

I went to the effort to Google espn3, download the app on my phone and my wifes tablet, and tune in to watch the game.

There could easily be 25k disc golfers willing to do the same...if ADGT was advertised. Or presented themselves even slightly professionally.

You can advertise it all you want but there is no way 25k will watch I don't care who it is providing coverage.....sorry to burst everyone's bubble but disc golf isn't that big and it is a sport that is played not watched.....

You can advertise it all you want but there is no way 25k will watch I don't care who it is providing coverage.....sorry to burst everyone's bubble but disc golf isn't that big and it is a sport that is played not watched.....

I used to say the same thing about video games.

I used to say the same thing about video games.

That's like comparing apples and something completely unrelated........video games are huge and may someday surpass actual sport......disc golf on the other hand will always be a fringe sport with a fringe following......yes more people play disc golf every year but only the dgcr fanboys actually watch it streaming on the internet....

Latest posts