• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Its appears that they deleted my comment asking why they took FitBit down as a sponsor.

I don't see their facebook page linked on their home page, did they take down the link or am I just blind? I see twitter but not fb.

So has there been any confirmation that any actual top-tier pros are playing in this thing?

I've spoken with one pro on the list who, in addition to not planning on attending due to the scheduling, confirmed that he hasn't received an actual invite (unless that invite went to an email he no longer uses).

Its appears that they deleted my comment asking why they took FitBit down as a sponsor.

I've also reached out to Fitbit (I like to do journalism, people!) and am waiting for a non-automated response about their involvement.

I've spoken with one pro on the list who, in addition to not planning on attending due to the scheduling, confirmed that he hasn't received an actual invite (unless that invite went to an email he no longer uses).

Wouldn't it be great if they didn't actually send any invitations? Like they posted the list of players in the website and went "that should take care of that"?

They could have gone out by standard mail. Or not been issued yet. Or, I guess, be relying on the website, and word of mouth.

Keep in mind that this was understandably secret until 2 days ago. They certainly wouldn't send out invites before confirming their deal with ESPN. It would hardly be surprising that all the invitees weren't notified before then, and haven't been notified yet in the short period since.

(Assuming, of course, the info they've given on their website and elsewhere is correct).

Off on a totally different tangent...Why the different disc specs? So a 14cm diameter disc is legal...who cares? Who makes one? Even if Salinet was planning to, who would throw it? Feldberg? He is going to throw his sponsors disc. His sponsor isn't going to make a disc that there is no market for to give Dave something to throw at one or two events. Anybody who would be good enough to win an event like this (unless the top players ignore it and the field is a joke) will be in the same boat. Why top the size at 30cm? There is no Frisbee that I can think of that is that huge. It's arbitrary numbers that in the end don't change anything becasue the golf discs that are in production are made to PDGA specs and that isn't going to change for one event. Even if somebody DID make a disc just for this event, how would it be approved? I mean, there would have to be an approval process for them, right?

BTW, the rim can be 2.75cm instead of 2.6cm. Does that get the Gateway Ninja in? :p

My best guess about all this after watching a fair amount of tv shows is that salient proposed a coup of the pdga to espn and espn is only in so they can take it all away from pdga and by using a nothing company they keep control. Unrealistic yes but thats how they do it on tv

They could have gone out by standard mail. Or not been issued yet. Or, I guess, be relying on the website, and word of mouth.

Keep in mind that this was understandably secret until 2 days ago. They certainly wouldn't send out invites before confirming their deal with ESPN. It would hardly be surprising that all the invitees weren't notified before then, and haven't been notified yet in the short period since.

(Assuming, of course, the info they've given on their website and elsewhere is correct).

I understand what you're saying here, but if you haven't invited anyone, why even post the list? Why not just wait until you've sent the invites and people can vouch for it? Otherwise, it just adds to the multiple reasons for skepticism.

I understand what you're saying here, but if you haven't invited anyone, why even post the list? Why not just wait until you've sent the invites and people can vouch for it? Otherwise, it just adds to the multiple reasons for skepticism.

To be fair, the PDGA usually publishes the invitee list for Worlds right about the same time they send the invitations. Of course, now the invitations are via email so it's a much faster process, but I remember quite a few years in which I confirmed I was invited to Worlds by looking at the published list at least a week before I received the official invitation in the mail.

Not to mention, how would this event get contact info for the players on its invitation list? Maybe some of the organizers are friendly with a few of them so have a phone number or email or mailing address, or are linked through facebook or twitter, but I doubt that would account for everyone. Were it a PDGA sanctioned event, this wouldn't even be a question. But since it's decidedly not...who knows?

I think it's a non-issue. They could title it the "eligible for early invite list". Among the many faults and follies, initially posting the invite list online strikes me as insignificant.

Or, to put it another way, why ridicule that when there are so many other aspects that are more fun to ridicule?

Off on a totally different tangent...Why the different disc specs? So a 14cm diameter disc is legal...who cares? Who makes one? Even if Salinet was planning to, who would throw it? Feldberg? He is going to throw his sponsors disc. His sponsor isn't going to make a disc that there is no market for to give Dave something to throw at one or two events. Anybody who would be good enough to win an event like this (unless the top players ignore it and the field is a joke) will be in the same boat. Why top the size at 30cm? There is no Frisbee that I can think of that is that huge. It's arbitrary numbers that in the end don't change anything becasue the golf discs that are in production are made to PDGA specs and that isn't going to change for one event. Even if somebody DID make a disc just for this event, how would it be approved? I mean, there would have to be an approval process for them, right?

BTW, the rim can be 2.75cm instead of 2.6cm. Does that get the Gateway Ninja in? :p

Their explanation:

There is a list of technical standards on your website that vary slightly from the PDGA's standards. What are the changes and why the differences?

"The differences were based on talks with players, ADGT officials as well as ESPN. The main changes include changes in the the rim width allowing slightly larger rim discs as well as allowing discs to now have a open space in the middle of the disc. For live disc golf events to be attractive to new viewers and players we have to have some disc flights that are easily caught by camera. Making the specs more generous can potentially increase the flight time of a disc on open drives, invariably making discs fly father and easily tracked on camera."

My opinion is that this is nonsense.

It's a good point, that I hadn't considered, that sponsored players are only going to throw their sponsor's discs, and the other manufacturers aren't going to produce special discs for this event, or tour.

As for the approval process, the ADGT has one. Submit discs with $75 to them for approval. All current discs are approved, but any future introductions will require their approval.

Social Media isnt the be all and end all, but with a new sport that skews towards a younger player and fan base, as disc golf does, it is fairly significant.

To that end, I just checkedband their Facebook page only has 433 likes. They have also disabled all comments. Not good news for them.

Social Media isnt the be all and end all, but with a new sport that skews towards a younger player and fan base, as disc golf does, it is fairly significant.

To that end, I just checkedband their Facebook page only has 433 likes. They have also disabled all comments. Not good news for them.

Public Relations isn't their strong suit.

Latest posts