• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

For his sake I hope he was around long enough to have vested his stock options, so he can get rich when Falient makes the bigtime.

The sidesplittingly funny thing was that Dr. K said they let him go for not meeting sales quotas. A salesman has to sell both the product and the brand. Any salesman who could do well selling Salient merchandise, would already be pulling down six figures somewhere else.

Somebody needs to start a new "Epic" thread around here....because it has been boring here at DGCR for a bit :|.

So much so, that this thread IS STILL AT THE TOP EVERYDAY :doh:!

I feel bad for posting here to continue the insanity :eek:.

PLEASE...LET....SALIENT....JUST....DIE....ALREADY :wall::wall::wall:!!!!!

You can put an end to this David, just back away from the keyboard :D.

IDK, Birdiemachines meth fueled conspiracy trolling in the politics forum is funny...and kind of sad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-08.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-14.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-17-10-52-22.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 181
Shade's Post from Facebook:

So Shade could you give me any kind of insider info on what's going on at Salient? I've seen 2 former employees now talking about moving on...
From Shade:
Well, Steve Boucher was a partner with Chris Kilgus. I only know what was posted by Steve, that he was moving on after 8 1/2 years...
I was told just after the American Open that the only income available to me would be commission on sales which based on the numbers would not be adequate to keep me employed with Salient so I'm moving on.
That's really all I know at this point.
I wish all good things for all parties, squad members etc.
I hope to be be able to offer my 38 years of disc golf experience to this great sport and its players soon.
If I can be of assistance to anyone within the sound of my 'post', lol, please don't hesitate to comment, tweet etc.
👍 (Shade 😎 Hogg🐖)

Chris Kilgus Reply:

So let's clarify since you want to publicly state your position:

Shade you lost your job and were living in a shelter prior to coming to work for Salient. Out of concern you were given a job.

You were given a roof over your head, a weekly paycheck, a car to drive, gym membership, laptop, cell phone, as well as commission on all sales. As the only salesperson you had no competition.

After multiple conversations you were asked to meet your monthly sales requirement. After 6 months you were unable to meet that requirement for all 6 months. Out of respect we gave you the option to stay on board with only commission and you stated you would be unable to meet the monthly sales requirement.

In the future make sure you clearly define the situation if you publicly want to make a statement (which should have been kept out of social media IMO).

Shade's Reply:

Those comments prove there's always more than one version of any situation. Well anyway, I still wish nothing but the best for you (Chris), Steve, Hillary and Salient

While the diatribe about Shade living in a shelter etc is completely unwarranted, some of you people need to understand what being in commission based sales(not retail over the counter sales) is all about.

Your salary is derived from the net profit from what you sell. If you don't make enough sales to cover your salary, why would your employer keep you? You are costing them money. I know, I've been through a lot of commission based sales people. It's one of the hardest jobs in the world, and only a small percent of those that try it are good at it.

Now, maybe the expectations were too high or maybe there was not enough support in the back office, I don't know. But on the face of it, it looks like the job had set sales quotas that were not being met.

It just goes to show you, there are worse things than losing your job and being homeless, working for Salient for example....

While the diatribe about Shade living in a shelter etc is completely unwarranted, some of you people need to understand what being in commission based sales(not retail over the counter sales) is all about.

Your salary is derived from the net profit from what you sell. If you don't make enough sales to cover your salary, why would your employer keep you? You are costing them money. I know, I've been through a lot of commission based sales people. It's one of the hardest jobs in the world, and only a small percent of those that try it are good at it.

Now, maybe the expectations were too high or maybe there was not enough support in the back office, I don't know. But on the face of it, it looks like the job had set sales quotas that were not being met.

Has anyone including shade argued that point maybe I've missed it.

Shade posted a pretty professional post about why he lost his job and kilgus decided to take it to the next level for no reason.

The point is that no one complained about his compensation or dismissal, not even Shade.

He didn't have a harsh word to say.....in return for which, Dr. K went off on him.

And Shade still didn't have a harsh word to say.

The point is that no one complained about his compensation or dismissal, not even Shade.

He didn't have a harsh word to say.....in return for which, Dr. K went off on him.

And Shade still didn't have a harsh word to say.

Hundreds and hundreds of posts back, I tried to depict Shade as not deserving being painted with the same brush as his employers---despite his overly appropriate nickname for their endeavors.

I think the high road he took here exemplifies that.

It's one of the hardest jobs in the world

Especially when you are selling such a **** product

I don't see how anyone could be expected to make a living off of commission for a company who is so hellbent on losing favor with its customers.

Basically as a salesperson; there are two ways I have made good money in sales.

You can sell to a few very high volume clients that require a lot of hand holding and attention, and pander to them and their every need.

Or you can sell to a huge book of smaller clients, who are usually more independent, and will be as loyal to you as you are to them.

Basically in disc golf the only people who have done well on the US market with the first type of client are Innova and to a lesser extent Discraft. Others have dabbled but those two have actually made some degree of impact.

The smaller clients have all been alienated either by personal experiences or the that the majority of people who know who Salient know them with a negative connotation. So basically they have alienated the clients that they should have been catering to. Which makes any person who's sole job to sell their products(which isn't a cake job in the best of times) very difficult.

Good for him taking the high road with his comments, I hope he lands on his feet.

^^ You lost me

Who are the people that need better understanding? There have been literally zero people who have disputed your remedial understanding of how sales professionals operate.

Latest posts