• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else addicted to Tie-Dye?

These things need to be banned from PDGA play. I've spent to way much time in tourneys looking for these ridiculous things....

There are definitely some that are really hard to find, where the dye becomes essentially camo. Like, for instance, my avatar. I made 3 of those and lost each one within a few months.

However, I have other tie dyes that I have never had issues finding, like this one:
picture.php

As long as you keep a good % of the disc bright colors, tie dyes are no harder to find than other discs, and easier than black, clear, or green discs.

Honestly, I think Discraft Ti plastic is by far the hardest to find, especially since it always seems to be some sort of green/blue/bronze color.

Last edited:
Not true. Tye Dye is definitely harder to find. The eye has a much more difficult time locating something that isn't a solid color. The same reason that armed forces use camo. Sure a tye dye disc using dayglo colors will be easier to find than a brown disc, but a solid brown disc will be easier than a brown & tan tye dye, and a solid pink disc will be easier than a orange & pink tye dye.

I do agree on Discraft Ti plastic being the most difficult of the solid colored discs to find, especially the older selection of colors. Not sure what they were thinking.

If you live in Florida, and you throw Tie-Dye, people don't want to card up with you.

A recent tournament memory: We step up to a tee to find the players on the card in front of us walking around in the brush. We ask if they need help finding a disc, and sure enough they do. What color is it, we ask. "Green and brown tie-dye". Great. Three minutes later the guy re-throws from the tee.

Just don't throw tie-dyed discs on brushy courses. Please...

My whole bag is tye-dye I did them all myself they are all bright purples reds blues yellows. I haven't had a problem finding them they stand out better than most of the people I play with even if I shank a drive. If you're going to dye your disc green and brown your dumb as hell especially in Florida.

Ever since I lost my wonderful Tye Dye FAF Firebird that I bagged for 3 years. I can't do it. No more tye dye for me.

As long as you keep a good % of the disc bright colors, tie dyes are no harder to find than other discs, and easier than black, clear, or green discs.

Honestly, I think Discraft Ti plastic is by far the hardest to find, especially since it always seems to be some sort of green/blue/bronze color.

I don't know about harder, but I agree that some of the Ti discs are very hard to find. Someone I knew threw a brownish-gold Ti disc and it skidded on pine straw into the shade under a pine tree. Took forever to find it even though it was not covered up. :( But at least we did find it.

A recent tournament memory: We step up to a tee to find the players on the card in front of us walking around in the brush. We ask if they need help finding a disc, and sure enough they do. What color is it, we ask. "Green and brown tie-dye". Great. Three minutes later the guy re-throws from the tee.

Just don't throw tie-dyed discs on brushy courses. Please...
^^ This.

Taking a penalty stroke and having to re-tee in a tournament is just not worth it for having a disc that you think looks cooler.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all these responses. I didn't realize it would get such a response. For me, the only reason I considered this is because so many online retailers now let you pick exactly what design you want. I'd say 80% of tie-dye discs are a "no-go" for me, but there are others that are probably bright enough to be fine. I recently bought a Z Pred on MarshallStreet, and I ended up going with plain old Z because none of the dye patterns in my weight range piqued my interest.

In addition, I play lots of loner rounds, so I wasn't considering the tournament or league play problem. If I ever increase my number of tie-dye discs, I'll keep it in mind. I don't wanna be "that guy."

I have a champ tie-dye tee bird I got when I first started playing. My first thought was, this will be super easy to spot. Took about two throws to realize I was dead wrong. Still bag it tho, it's a good water hole disc. Rest of the bag is now easy to find pink and white.

I bought a used champ tie-dye Teebird at PIAS, it was nicely seasoned and flew great, after two rounds I traded it away, it was miserable trying to find it in an open fairway. The only way you could spot it was by the glare of the sun.

Have a guy we play with (isn't very good) and we cringe when ever he pulls out one of his many tie-dye's, it means we all have to look for it. Makes for some slow play at times.

There are definitely some that are really hard to find, where the dye becomes essentially camo. Like, for instance, my avatar. I made 3 of those and lost each one within a few months.

So much truth here, Rog. Most of my personally dyed discs are bright and I have no trouble with. Still, I only currently bag two of my custom dyed discs and they both still have plenty of white background to pop out in the scrum.

The problem is when you get into people throwing these in the fall!
b07d0a46-3f9d-4a7a-9324-492151706588DSC07074.JPG

I love the feel of Ti, but my first few were metallic color change from green to an almost black shade of purple. In any kind of thick grass, they were a nightmare. I'll stick with my bright discs and keep up a quick pace.

I'm a recovering addict. When these things first showed in in the late 90s or early 00s, I used them a bunch.

I currently have 1 in my bag. I'm "recovering", not "recovered".

The hard-to-find issue is very real, but it depends a bit on what sort of course you play. If it's a park course, lots of mown grass, tall trees, and little underbrush, it's not such a big deal.

My occasional weakness is for a tie-dyed pattern that is very bright on half the disc, dark on the other. As they fly through the air, the alternate bright-&-dark sides flash in a rather cool way.

I have a champ tie-dye tee bird I got when I first started playing. My first thought was, this will be super easy to spot. Took about two throws to realize I was dead wrong. Still bag it tho, it's a good water hole disc. Rest of the bag is now easy to find pink and white.
If I could go back and restock my bag from the beginning it probably be all pink. That's the easiest color to spot across all conditions: brown dirt, green foliage, white snow, orange fallen leaves, and murky water.

The only people advocating Tie Dye in this thread are the disc dyers themselves. Go figure. They should be banned from sanctioned play.

I try to avoid them for the same reasons already stated. The worst part for me is the shame endured when people try to help you look for it.

Samaritans: What color is it?

Me: Green. And purple. And pink. And the bottom is white.

Samaritans: *thinking in unison* (oh to hell with this guy and his fu*$*# tie dye disc)

Ironically I bag a tie dye disc and it's my risky hole disc. :| I haven't lost it yet though.

I have a few in the bag, not because I like tie dye discs, I don't hate them, it's just that the 2 I have in my bag are really some of my go to discs and have them beat in to where I want them. My Leopard3 (flippy monster that doesn't cut roll, but has no chance at all of hyzering out of a turn), and my Z Buzzz, straightest, farthest flying Buzzz I've come across in a while along with my Wasp tooled Buzzz.

Latest posts