• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever noticed insane numbers of ticks at Idlewild?

ESchurr

I've only been once during summer of last year, and as I only live roughly 20 minutes away it seems a shame that I haven't been back.

It's a TOUGH course and I want to experience the challenge again but one of the things that deterred me was the unbelievable sheer quantity of ticks around that area. Maybe it was just weird luck, but I've never noticed ticks playing at Mt. Airy, Lincoln Ridge, or really any other course in the area. When I played Idlewild, every time I went into the brush to hunt for a disc I came out with a tick somewhere on me, sometimes two.

Is there something about that area that breeds them, or was I just a tick magnet that day? I want to go back this year but with the reports of an extremely bad tick season, I'm pretty hesitant.

Yep they are still there. Played there yesterday and pulled a few off of me but really we are in that park all the time and I guess I am used to it. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. I really though don't think it would be any different for a course in the woods any where else. My experience tics are generally bad everywhere and just something you have to deal if you want to play this sport as with most out door activities that take you into the woods.

Up in Montana(I'm in AZ now. whew!), Forsyth to be exact, the ticks and mosquitoes are so bad that they crop dust the town at night.

Yeah come to New England and you'll see the same thing. Even worse this time of year are the Black flies. Smaller and more resilient than mosquitos, and even more numerous. I've run into Australians (who live in a country with bugs that bite/sting you dead instead of itchy) who thought we had a bad bug problem in the spring!!

I don't think the ticks are any worse at Idlewild than anywhere else. I played Boone Woods last night and my brother found 2 ticks on him at the end of the round.

For those who don't know Boone Woods is only about a mile away from Idlewild.

Hmmmm...I don't really ever remember having this issue in Michigan. I hate to hear this, my wife and I are lookin to head down to play Lincoln Ridge and Idlewyld over Memorial Day weekend. This would make her unhappy (bad for me). Remember a church course in Iowa a few summers ago, the ticks were awful. We ended up stripping to skivvys in the church parking lot as the priest drove up asking what we thought we were doing. Awkward. Maybe some folk who play in ticks a lot could advise on the Deep Woods off?

Hmmmm...I don't really ever remember having this issue in Michigan. I hate to hear this, my wife and I are lookin to head down to play Lincoln Ridge and Idlewyld over Memorial Day weekend. This would make her unhappy (bad for me). Remember a church course in Iowa a few summers ago, the ticks were awful. We ended up stripping to skivvys in the church parking lot as the priest drove up asking what we thought we were doing. Awkward. Maybe some folk who play in ticks a lot could advise on the Deep Woods off?

I asked someone who plays in the area and he mentioned he used this and has no issues. I never do in Michigan, so I am unsure what to recommend.

I pulled a few off after a round at rolling hills over the weekend.

I pulled a few off after a round at rolling hills over the weekend.

Well, I guess I will have to pay a little better attention. I have to be honest, I have been remiss in my tick checking, just not used to running into them in SE Michigan. :thmbdown:

I heard Deep Woods Off! is good, I will be getting this for my try out of this course this weekend.

Yup, or any other "deep woods" repellant. DEET is your friend, but be careful because it will smear stamps. I think there are threads about the best bug products.

Here in se Michigan when everyone gets a bad tick season we get A tick season. Unlike wisconsin where the ticks and masquitos orchestrate coordinated attacks to drag unwary hickers to their doom.

Here in se Michigan when everyone gets a bad tick season we get A tick season. Unlike wisconsin where the ticks and masquitos orchestrate coordinated attacks to drag unwary hickers to their doom.

I had a tick on me after playing Willow metro park a few weeks ago. Don't even get me started on the the mosquitos there. At certain times there are hoards of gallinipper mosquitos, the bodies on those suckers are a half inch long. :eek:

The course is basically a swamp. :thmbdown:

Latest posts