• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever noticed insane numbers of ticks at Idlewild?

I found 40% Deet at Target the other day. I'm bringing it to my trip to Idlewild this weekend.

I hate ticks. I'm a city boy not a fan of bugs in general.

41FNNVmSx0L.jpg

3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion

works better than deep woods OFF (or any spray deet product) for mosquitos and ticks but very oily and annoying to apply. Well worth it due to lasting much longer and only a tiny amount needed at a time though. I still spray bag/shoes/pants with off when going to a really bad course.

anything under 30% deet is worthless but the "good" stuff is also poisonous as hell too.

Last edited:
Ticks/mosquitoes are just a part of the package in my area. Ticks usually aren't crazy except on a few of the courses. Mosquitoes can get BAD.

I always carry two bottles of bug spray in my bag during the summer. One is 25% DEET, the "Dry" version. It isn't oily and won't cause any grip problems if you get it on your hands. I wear long white socks and shorts, and have found the best prevention technique for ticks is to check your legs every time after coming out of the brush. Paranoid? Maybe a little, but I've yet to have a tick actually bite me. I usually find them halfway up my white socks.

When 25% doesn't work, I go nuclear and use the 99% stuff.

I keep both bottles wrapped in ziplock baggies and stash them in my bag.

I've heard that permetherin is the best thing out there, but that's more for dousing on your clothes, not your skin. It's also fatal to cats in minute amounts, so I've never tried it.

Edit: The best place I've found to get this stuff is Walgreens, if you have those in your area. This time of year they usually have some good sales/deals going on bug spray. Got two big bottles of 25% Dry and two bottles of the 99% for just under $20. Should last me most of this year, easily.

Last edited:
Permethrin is only fatal to cats in liquid form from what I read. I have a cat and dog and was scared to get it but made sure to do it away from my house when I applied it to my clothes to not take any risks.

At the ozark tourney I saw people pulling ticks off left and right. Some people i know came home with Over 10 on them!!! :(
I had none. The stuff works really well IMO but as juke said, check yourself really good after each time walking off the fairway. Much better to be "paranoid" than yanking ticks off later.

I dunno about you guys but it bothers me putting deet or off on my skin. much rather prefer soaking the outside of my clothes with permethrin. The nice thing about it is it bonds to your clothes and can last thru some washes.

Most big sporting stores should carry some version of it. I snagged the sawyers permethrin from rei. Read the reviews, works pretty well for most people.

Roman recommended it to me and I'm very happy he did :thmbup:

I stay in SE Michigan play Vienna parmalee.. and occasionally play willow... I have had several ticks on me at parmalee park.. seem like every time i went this year i was getting one or two. so i just use DEEP OFF.. seems to work... far as the other parks.. not so much yet.. willow u can barley play with out the bug repellent.

Not at Idlewild, in 7 years of playing I had never found one until last weekend in Burlington, NC. Found 5 on me in two rounds down there!

One time after playing this horrible wooded course in Rockton (IL), Affectionately known as Woodlands, I discovered a tick under my sac near the taint. Not a great place to find one. The course is not well maintained and the brush is very thick. Tick heaven!

found a tick on my hip a few days ago...a swollen deer tick, methinks.

Ticks are going to be around the Idlewild course. Spray yourself all you want, but I would still make sure to take a shower when you are done and give yourself a good check while you're in the buff.

For some reason, I have been finding way more ticks on me this year then in past years. I F#*!ing hate ticks!:thmbdown:

Latest posts