• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach putter suggestions?

teej

Birdie Member
Hello!

I am looking to fill a spot in my bag that I feel I am missing. I am looking for a stand still throwing putter with a lot of glide. Got any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback!

There are tons of molds that fit your description.

Since my home course is thickly wooded, I carry a disc for the same shot you described. I love using them for long gliding distance with just a flick of the wrist. Trees and bushes in the rough often restrict my arm movement. The exact disc changes frequently because i like to change things up frequently. The common features between them all are:

- Lighter than max weight, all the way down to 150g if possible.
- neutral mold if the disc is new
- beat up version if the mold is overstable
- in a plastic that increases glide

i most often cycle throu the Innova options because of availability. Discs that are commonly in my bag for this role:
- 150g DX Polecat (My most frequent choice)
- 150g Sonic
- Makani or light DX Zephyr (they are the same)
- DX Colt
- beat DX or R-Pro Aviar PandA (second choice)
- beat 150g Dart or light R-Pro Dart

- soft Electron Pilot
- Neutron Proxy
- beat Electron atom
- beat Electron Envy
- beat Election Ion

- soft APX
- Rattlr
- beat Ringer

- SS Magic
- beat SS Voodoo

Swan 2, I like soft the best but any can be good. It's super straight to about 200 with a touch of Hyzer.

Polecat for me, but recently I put an MPV Ion Electron in the bag to help extend the life of my Polecats (this was a newer random addition, but I'm really liking that disc). When I need something a bit beefier for my upshots or I want them to really stick I'll use a *Gator or 150g DX Rhino.

I was introduced to the Polecat as a 'get out of trouble' disc that had a surprising amount of glide with just a flick of the wrist. Lighter weight Polecats are superior for that.

But for 'throwing putters', i.e. putters that are good to be thrown off the tee or for relatively long approach shots, there are TONS of those out there. My own suggestions are the Mirage, which has a lot of glide but is very understable. The Deputy has pretty good glide, but is also on the understable side. And people above mentioned the Prodigy Pa4, which is excellent. I'll add the Pa3 as a beaded equivalent.

My own suggestions are the Mirage, which has a lot of glide but is very understable..

I was also going to say the Mirage. If the Mirage is too understable, the Wedge has a bit more fade. Both are fun glidey discs, but I prefer the Mirage in Star at 168.

I was also going to say the Mirage. If the Mirage is too understable, the Wedge has a bit more fade. Both are fun glidey discs, but I prefer the Mirage in Star at 168.

I wish the Wedge had a bit more stability. I love the grip/feel of those discs and it was fine when I had a noodle arm years ago, but I can no longer throw these discs worth a damn. It's a shame cuz they had been in my bag for a long time. Because they are a little bit stiffer, they can be a bit temperamental for upshots. With the thin edge you get some odd roll aways on firmer surfaces.

Axiom PROXY - just trust me, best throwing putter - straight, glide, not too touchy, just laser straight. Plasma has great grip and looks nice - Neutron is a little firmer (but not firm) - and Neutron Soft is a lot like plasma just a different feel. 3/3/0/0.5 is kinda how I'd rate it. It can eventually work into 3/3/-1/0 but that takes a long time. OR Try an MVP Atom - similar but a touch faster and a touch less glide than a proxy and a lil more stable like 3.5/3/0/1 - electron is a nice baseline and works into floaty laser straight, Proton and Neutron are more stable in general but acts like a speed 3.5 Buzzz - great disc too.

PROXY, ATOM, ENVY, then more OS try a Streamline STABILIZER which is like 3/3/0/3 - of all the discs I've tried these throwing/approach putters are standouts as the best to me

A super beat baseline plastic version of whatever you already putt with.

^^^ This is the correct answer. Or use the super-beat baseline version as your putting putter, and approach with the fresh baseline putter. When it beats up enough it will be your putting putter.

I always like to have two of my putting putters in the bag in case I lose one.

^^^ This is the correct answer. Or use the super-beat baseline version as your putting putter, and approach with the fresh baseline putter. When it beats up enough it will be your putting putter.

I always like to have two of my putting putters in the bag in case I lose one.

Agree with this. I did a bit of searching for a S/US approach putter and found that a worn JB Roach works great. I putt with them so it's also my backup putter, saving bag space and reducing molds.

Latest posts