• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Are you going APE?

such an even mix of haters and anticipaters. if you don't like speed 13s, don't throw them. they obviously bring in quite a bit of money to disc companies that aren't exactly swimming in cash. i'll probably end up picking up an Ape, even though i'm sure i lack the proper form and power to "deserve" to throw it. who cares? it's fun.

Disc golf is mostly just a recreational game. Most people buying discs dont care about form or anything more than having fun. And being able to throw an extra 20-30ft without changing anything is fun. Innova makes discs for money.

Dam, I'm sick of these wide rimmed drivers (I'm assuming that's what this is). I totally understand why they make them, just not good disc(s) for me. Wish they'd make some new stable stuff, not freak bomb arm stable, just normal human stable.

Like, make me a new 11x TeeBird-like mold that doesn't cost me $25 lol. The "ape" is a terrible name IMHO, when is it due to be released?....

Discs like the Ape, which I have no need for and don't intend to buy, and the Vulcan are just tools used to get to the basket as quickly as possible. The object of this game is... 1) to have fun. 2) To score as low as possible in the round you are currently playing.

If you want to make this game work, go ahead and be an elitist for forcing the Comet on every new player to achieve form acceptable to you. Good luck keeping them interested.

I on the other hand, I really like it when new players are wide eyed with excitement as there disc flies beautifully down the fairway and they make their first par. If they want to get serious about this game, there is a better chance they will because they're hooked on it now.

Never forget the first object of the game... having fun.

Last edited:
The Pro V1 is the best ball in golf, it's the only ball I use.

That being said, I just wish that innova would put some thought into some lower speed midrange/ approach discs as well. Perhaps re-release some older stuff. Why do they have to keep making these discs that are faster and faster? Are people really requesting this kind of equipment?

Look at Innova's speed 6 and 8 discs. Big holes and no premium plastic choices. This might be what we want them to be working on, but it isn't what sells.

I don't think I'll have a use for the Ape based on the numbers, but I wouldn't mind throwing one to see what it does.

I am with raph and wee on this one;
Do we really need to have a group beyotch session every time innova puts a disc out?
Really?

The ape is not for me...too much sauce.

I just won't buy it. Non-problem "solved."

Calm your keyboard yeast infections, throw what you like, carry on, full ahead.

Are people really requesting this kind of equipment?

Go to your local Dick's or Sports Authority. Do you see any finesse discs? Maybe one or two, but the rest are warp speed drivers as those are what sells the best. At the park, how many people do you see throwing discs like Cheetahs, Gazelles, or other less known fairways/mids? Now how many Katanas, Bosses, and Grooves do you see? Fast stuff sells.

But crap like the vulcan teaches new players that their horrible form is actually good, because it allows them to throw on an extreme hyzer and itll still flip and fly straight for them. in the long run, its hurting new players' game. but I never said it would hurt dg

a lot of people don't want to obsess about disc golf. they just want to throw and have a good shot. if the disc helps them do it and masks the form flaws, let them fill that niche. don't be so worried about the noobs :) they'll either get the bug like everyone else or fizzle out, pump $100 bucks into the disc golf economy and be on their way.

I see the point that it's not good for someone who seriously wants to evolve as a player, but a lot of people don't.

Go to your local Dick's or Sports Authority. Do you see any finesse discs? Maybe one or two, but the rest are warp speed drivers as those are what sells the best. At the park, how many people do you see throwing discs like Cheetahs, Gazelles, or other less known fairways/mids? Now how many Katanas, Bosses, and Grooves do you see? Fast stuff sells.

True. I guess seeing as how I am one of those people who throws the discs you listed, I am not looking at it from an unbiased perspective. I just wish they would consider people like myself who know they don't need discs of that speed.

Latest posts