• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atlanta in October

apdrvya

Marketplace Guru
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I am flying into ATL on 10/11 and have extremely limited time probably the evening of the 12th. I am seeing that Perkerson park is close but how close? is it worth leaving the airport hotel to go to?

I've heard good things about the course but that the area is somewhat sketchy; they're having a tournament there on the 8th and there's a security fee for all players so that the club can have two off-duty APD officers patrolling the park during the tournament. But there's a tournament the 8th, so the course should be tip-top. I'd say it's worth leaving for that course, and also for driving across the city to get to Little Mulberry Park in Dacula. Absolutely gorgeous course, and a lot of the wooded fairways are sodded and it's a really nice touch. Lots of fun shots too. The only downside, of course, is the Atlanta traffic

Perkerson, the course, is worth it.

Perkerson, the neighborhood....it depends on your comfort with pretty rough urban areas. Myself, I'd be more comfortable playing it in the morning than the evening, as you're talking about.

It's a good course, and I think it is well worth playing. I go there often, but usually in the morning/early afternoon.

The drive isn't bad, you can get there in 20 mins if the traffic isn't an issue.

I've never personally had an issue there, but it's an old urban neighborhood that is low income and with a lot of government housing nearby. I would say that the locals are 99% friendly and wouldn't give you an issue, but I do know one guy who had a car stolen there...

I played Perkerson in the morning on a weekday while in the area and it was an awesome course. I was leery of the neighborhood and leaving a rented car in the parking lot, but it was a February morning, 20 degrees with 20 mph winds - aka that weather for a Georgian means like no one is out and about. The drive for me wasn't bad at all 15-20 minutes(?), but it wasn't rush hour.

Latest posts