• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Well won't replace my ions but great disc and plastic. Didn't even bother to wipe it off in snow/mush and drives like a envy with some high speed turn. Neat mold for sure. Few ace runs even for the first time out driving it. Not super glide happy but makes for accurate placement on upshot and easy comeback putts. Plenty durable definitely more of a high end baseline and better than protos.

^ Yep. Not as buttery rich as Protos, but still feels great, and is more durable.

It might be sacrilege, but has anybody tried rolling these yet? Beating in my regular and the overmold just seems to grip ground and go. Makes me really want to see an electron inspire, amp, or inertia
I flicked a FH roller just messing around earlier it went dead straight.

Well won't replace my ions but great disc and plastic. Didn't even bother to wipe it off in snow/mush and drives like a envy with some high speed turn. Neat mold for sure. Few ace runs even for the first time out driving it. Not super glide happy but makes for accurate placement on upshot and easy comeback putts. Plenty durable definitely more of a high end baseline and better than protos.

how's the glide compared to an ion? Sounds like less.

how's the glide compared to an ion? Sounds like less.

I find the glide to be pretty comparable. But I've only thrown approaches and putts with them. No full drives against each other.

My first round with these I had more or less the same problem I did with the envy early on. Kept sailing them long over the basket on approach shots, though it was fairly windy today so that may have something to do with it. I started out using the heavy atom for putting but just wasn't getting the good snap/spin with it, so I changed over to the lighter one and started draining putts. these are definitely a keeper for me, just need to dial them in.

Picked up a 174 hard Atom today. It was an ice bowl so I didn't play with it much during the round. However I did use it on about 8 holes warming up. I really liked it. I keep cycling MVP/Axiom stuff in and out of my bag but I really like the feel of this disc in the new plastic. I could see it as my straight driving putter and approach disc. Currently I keep 3 rhyno's and a Tank in the bag for driving/putting. I tested the atom against those discs today on a 255 foot hole with about a 5mph head wind and I have to say that while not as stable the atom definitely went as far and held some very nice lines. I have shorter fingers so the shallower rim really felt good to me. I'm looking forward to putting some more rounds in with it. Although I'm not an MVP fan boy, I do like their products and believe that they are doing some good things with their discs. I currently bag 2 Volts and an Amp and I consider those money discs. I feel like this may end up staying in the bag if it shows as much promise as it did today.

Dude you must be throwing the special Pixie Dust edition Ions if you think the Atom isn't glide happy. Soft or Reg?

I drive the hell out of putters. The atoms do not glide as well. For reference Central park in Brooklyn park MN hole 8 400' down hill shot where exact 4 throws with 2 atoms and 2 ions the atoms were just on target but ions carried by. Up shots it also was noticeable.

Oh I weighed my atoms earlier 177.8(marked 175) and 174.2(174). No wonder the heavy one was dropping like a stone, lol.

I love this disc. That said, I'm a little concerned about durability. On the first putt, the chains dented it and I took a chunk out of the overmold on a 50 footer that hit the top of the basket. They were pretty well scarred up by halfway through the round and I didn't even drive them. I've had my yeti twins for two years and they never beat that quickly. Though to be honest I never drive those either. They feel and fly perfect though. There's a better than even change that they will make the bag and I'll just replace my putters more frequently. Curse you MVP!

I don't know anything about plastic so this could be a stupid question, but is it possible that electron could get more durable over time? Further curing, compression from light impacts, something else? Because I'd almost swear that that is what's happened to my protos.

I love this disc. That said, I'm a little concerned about durability. On the first putt, the chains dented it and I took a chunk out of the overmold on a 50 footer that hit the top of the basket. They were pretty well scarred up by halfway through the round and I didn't even drive them. I've had my yeti twins for two years and they never beat that quickly. Though to be honest I never drive those either. They feel and fly perfect though. There's a better than even change that they will make the bag and I'll just replace my putters more frequently. Curse you MVP!

Drove mine and Putted them both on all holes today.. No major issues and will posts pictures shortly. Chains shouldn't take chunks from Any disc...

interesting but I always thought plastic weakens over time

In overall structure but texture I think is more what is being referred to. Discs compress with hits and the polymers compact in that sense. It's very noticeable IMO with vibram discs

I drive the hell out of putters. The atoms do not glide as well. For reference Central park in Brooklyn park MN hole 8 400' down hill shot where exact 4 throws with 2 atoms and 2 ions the atoms were just on target but ions carried by. Up shots it also was noticeable.
Maybe it'll change once they wear in. It's also been a long time since I've thrown Ions. Regardless, I'm quite happy with the glide on my Atoms.

I was a little worried about mine at first, too. I was seeing these same issues, but it seems that the dings have slowed down a bit after about a month of use. I've only noticed that my worn one has a little less HSS than it had out of the box, which I've found useful for long hyzer flip shots.