• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery Jenkins is one cool dude.

roman1

Eagle Member
I went to caddy for a buddy of mine at the 2008 Illinois Open in Rockford this weekend, and turns out that Avery Jenkins was staying at the same hotel as we were. Last night we had a portable basket set up out in front of the hotel playing some PIG, and Avery came out on the balcony and watched us make fools of ourselves. We tried throwing all sorts of trick shots - double stacked turbo putts, under the leg putts, etc. Eventually he came down and joined us for a game of PIG, which I think he won... After that he spent some time coaching us on how to putt better. He was pretty laid back and very helpful. I tried putting a turbo putt up from the third floor balcony and I kept missing, so he gave me pointers on my release until I made that putt too! :lol: Definitely a cool guy to hang out with.

I got him to sign two of my discs which I think you guys would appreciate.

First, my TRX. This is for all those that followed the "Jenkins grip" thread:
aj_trx.jpg

He wanted to know what the hell the Jenkins grip was, and I told him about the video... He didn't seem to remember it at all.

Next is for all the DGR regulars... This is my Aviar:
aj_ap.jpg

Hah hah, I think everyone had a beer in their hand, but nobody was really drunk. There were two more rounds left in the tournament and some had to get up early the next day, so the drinking was kept to a minimum.

:lol: Wow that Aviar is great! I'd get a good laugh every time I pulled it out of the bag to putt. Did he know of the thread and write it, or did you ask him to sign it with that quote?

I got to play doubles with him at a tourney in Bowling Green last spring. He was a real nice guy and spent quite a bit of time working on me with putting after the round and I didn't even asked he just volunteered the info. Great stuff from a great player.

Sounds like a great dude. That is a lot better than certain world champions who say "Lets start a new trend and not high five before the round" and then walks off.

Peace
Scott

sounds like a really fun time. i like people who stay down to earth. that aviar sig is hilarious.

Nice. Did you at least explain what the Aviar quote was from so he didn't think you were some kind of stalker? :lol:

Cool to hear he's a nice guy, sounds like a good time.

Yeah,I had to explain the Aviar quote to him before he wrote it down. He thought it was funny.

hahaahahahahahahaha That aviar is a true piece of Disc Golf history! Don't you dare lose it!

I'm glad to hear that Avery is a cool cat. He's going to be in my neck of the woods this weekend for the Yetter tournament at Tyler State Park. I was hoping to watch him play a bit and hopefully pick up some pointers from watching his technique.

Latest posts