• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Here we go again...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=12329&mode=rev

Only review... only course he's listed as played in two years on the site... No posts or nice's...

4400' in the longs with "mixed tee" basic signage...

5 discs...smh

and he didn't even bother to do a course condition update...

LOL, I know the owner, he sent me a message just this last month telling me he added the course to DGCR. I have not been able to get over there to play, the owner follows me on Facebook and wants me to add his course to my collection. (not the first time I have had a private owner contact me about playing their course before it was publicly listed)

it's a short technical course that he built for him and his friends to play. Normally, if you rent the guest house on the property, you get exclusive rights to the course. When i play, I can't play if someone has "rented the course"

One disc review for Blue Lake in Portland, Oregon. Basically bashed the entire course because if he can't hit the fairway, the course sucks, lol. That makes up the entire review. It's the course's fault.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=5646&mode=rev#88220

Wait. Accuracy is important? It's bad if you can't throw straight and throw into the woods?

I can picture him arguing with his wife about the difficulty of hitting the toilet.

Something about being named EgoThrasher seems...ironic?

It is a lazy/poorly written review, but I don't think it is necessarily a bad take. Every review that I read cited the rough as a con.

I know that I certainly prefer to be able to recover poorly thrown discs. :)

Shrug. These are set up to be personal ratings. If you are a beginner, this type of course probably does suck. Though the review is also lacking, this is a very good example of why ratings are kind of a waste. To this guy, the course delivered a lousy time. To expect he should give ratings, through the eyes of a 900 rated player is silly.

The numbers generally even out with enough reviews and are helpful in picking road trip courses. The meat of the site is the reviews. Reviews > Ratings.

I was interested enough by this discussion to read back into a few of the previous reviews.

It sounds like the severity of the rough/OB is a legitimate complaint...but then, his review isn't really much more than a series of complaints.

I wrestled with a recent review I did of "Hometown Hollow" in PA - it's a new course, and I was going to be the first reviewer. And because it's a not-really-finished course that's in deep, deep woods, the rough is absolutely punishing. I ended up writing my review with no "pros" or "cons" - just "other thoughts." I wanted to be fair, without dissing the obvious creativity and effort that's going in to the course

Looking at this review with that in mind: He isn't wrong - but his review isn't very helpful.

Shrug. These are set up to be personal ratings. If you are a beginner, this type of course probably does suck. Though the review is also lacking, this is a very good example of why ratings are kind of a waste. To this guy, the course delivered a lousy time. To expect he should give ratings, through the eyes of a 900 rated player is silly.

The numbers generally even out with enough reviews and are helpful in picking road trip courses. The meat of the site is the reviews. Reviews > Ratings.

i agree that the reviews are more important than the ratings.

When i look for food places, that first thing i look at is the ratings, then i read the reviews. If you owned a ruth chris and a homeless man rated your restaurant a 1.0 because the food is too expensive, you'd be ticked off.

a terrible review like that should not factored in the rating imo. its complete garbage.

I have to say that I never considered how sensitive some people were to "cons" until the post complaining about people citing pay to play as a con.

i agree that the reviews are more important than the ratings.

When i look for food places, that first thing i look at is the ratings, then i read the reviews. If you owned a ruth chris and a homeless man rated your restaurant a 1.0 because the food is too expensive, you'd be ticked off.

a terrible review like that should not factored in the rating imo. its complete garbage.

We aren't likely to agree. The idea that his rating is garbage, "in your opinion", means exactly the same thing as his rating of this course, "in his opinion".

I am not going to try to tell anyone what their opinion should be. I might agree with your opinion more, but that does not need to invalidate the opinion of another.

This discussion seems to come up, every time a low rating is thrown out for a generally well respected course. This is the system we use here, you play a course and give your opinion.

One disc review for Blue Lake in Portland, Oregon. Basically bashed the entire course because if he can't hit the fairway, the course sucks, lol. That makes up the entire review. It's the course's fault.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=5646&mode=rev#88220

It looks like his biggest complaint was actually all the briars and brambles. If, when you miss the fairway, you have to exchange pain and blood for your disc, I can certainly see that being a negative. Whether that makes the course a one disc course is subjective of course. It's weird that you see that review as simply the bashing of a course because the reviewer "can't hit the fairway."

I have to say that I never considered how sensitive some people were to "cons" until the post complaining about people citing pay to play as a con.

Why try to characterize someone who is of the opinion that pay-to-play should not be a con as being "sensitive" to cons?

It looks like his biggest complaint was actually all the briars and brambles. If, when you miss the fairway, you have to exchange pain and blood for your disc, I can certainly see that being a negative. Whether that makes the course a one disc course is subjective of course. It's weird that you see that review as simply the bashing of a course because the reviewer "can't hit the fairway."

Yikes, add poison ivy galore and squadrons of bird sized mosquitos. He would not like Michigan golf much right now. :p

The thing is, the reviewer states this:
"It's not like other reviews haven't said the same thing"

So if you KNOW a course is such and such, does it really make sense to complain about and penalize the course for it? This wasn't the first review for this course.

I KNOW the rough at Toboggan is brutal. Knowing that, I really do try hard to stay out of it, discing down on holes like #3 so my bag is as heavy on hole 18 as hole 1.

That is the beauty of this site, you can be forewarned about issues you know you don't like about courses. If I know the mosquitoes are really bad, great, I can make sure I have bug spray.

So if you KNOW a course is such and such, does it really make sense to complain about and penalize the course for it? This wasn't the first review for this course.

Yes. Most of the reviews were pretty dated. I like to see if the cons (or pros) are still relevant. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

I'm also that I'm not sure that I agree with the concept of the course being "penalized". It isn't like we are digging up a tee pad for every 5 sub 3 star reviews.

I'm also that I'm not sure that I agree with the concept of the course being "penalized". It isn't like we are digging up a tee pad for every 5 sub 3 star reviews.

IDK, sometimes I feel a course is taking something out on me for something someone else said or did to it. Well, at least the trees...

Agreed, courses don't care (though owners of private courses may, but those get graded out well usually), but reviews are generally for players who are considering playing there. Searches on both DGCR and Udisc are filterable by rating, so maybe sometimes a better course may not show up because of a few overly low ratings.

I tend to filter pretty low, maybe 2.5 stars and up, unless looking at niners or shorter courses for the kids. If there are just a few courses in an area, I will look at them individually, but if I were, for instance, going to WI or MN, I would definitely need to filter a little bit. Just too many courses (a good thing).