• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Well, since the OP of that thread got mad about us using his thread for bashing bad reviews, I thought I'd start a new thread for such things...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1319&mode=rev#82968

Only person to give this course less than a 3.0. Its not a great course but its definitely not a 1.0 either. Sounds like someone had a bad day... I like this part...

FYI, if it hits a tree, it probably wasn't a "beautiful" tee shot...

This is the only review he's done and the only course he's marked as played in the 8+ months he's had an account. Sounds to me like somebody felt butthurt after a bad day and decided it was the course's fault...

What I get is a feeling there are no lines due to trees in the way of every line to a point the hole is a bunch of skinny trees or the hole has so many lines that get cut off at some point by a large tree to the point there is no line. At least that is the image in my head.

What I get is a feeling there are no lines due to trees in the way of every line to a point the hole is a bunch of skinny trees or the hole has so many lines that get cut off at some point by a large tree to the point there is no line. At least that is the image in my head.

Plenty of lines, very fair fairways. The review was dumb.

You can just picture the guy standing on the tee after hitting a tree...

"Dammit! Why did they leave that tree there?!?"

:D

I have actually heard complaints almost word for word to that....

Random draw doubles...

I looked at the gentleman like he had lost his mind. The old defunct light pole was only 40 foot in front of tje tee box... shrug...

I know you didn't ask me but... bloody cinci airport and stupid low flying jets. I was afraid my discs were gonna get sucked up into the intake.

Nice designed holes though I'll never go back. jeez, I get upset at soccer players.

You darned kids get off my lawn. ;)

You're just lucky someone didn't nice you while you were on the plane, your disc might have created a hole in the plane as it was desperately trying to make it's way to the nearest tree below. That was a close one.

Well, since the OP of that thread got mad about us using his thread for bashing bad reviews, I thought I'd start a new thread for such things...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1319&mode=rev#82968

Only person to give this course less than a 3.0. Its not a great course but its definitely not a 1.0 either. Sounds like someone had a bad day... I like this part...

FYI, if it hits a tree, it probably wasn't a "beautiful" tee shot...

This is the only review he's done and the only course he's marked as played in the 8+ months he's had an account. Sounds to me like somebody felt butthurt after a bad day and decided it was the course's fault...

The title of his review should be "The tree that shouldn't be there"

Some of those 7 alphabet holes were never a treat to play recreationally and maybe they never got legit tee pads. You could definitely have a less enjoyable experience as a beginner playing those alpha holes versus the main 18 which are pretty clear of rogue trees in regular lines of play.

..... the extra 7 are a work in progress that never really progressed much. When the USWDGC was there a few years ago, the women complained and after the first round, those holes weren't used again......

If this reveiwer was writing about the extra 7 holes, I would agree. I played the 2015 USWDGC and those 7 alphabet holes were without a doubt, about the stupidest holes I have ever played in a PDGA Major event. The wooded holes sucked balls as there were barely any pathways, let alone fairways. And who doesn't love a parking lot hole? For this PDGA Major Event, there were little tiny pieces of old carpet tacked down and a stick in the ground with all the details like Hole #, distance and even a drawing of a suggested route, because - what more do you need to host a PDGA Major event?

Attachments

• 2015 USWDGC Ohio (47).jpg
    2015 USWDGC Ohio (47).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 2015 USWDGC Ohio (55).jpg
    2015 USWDGC Ohio (55).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 91
If this reveiwer was writing about the extra 7 holes, I would agree. I played the 2015 USWDGC and those 7 alphabet holes were without a doubt, about the stupidest holes I have ever played in a PDGA Major event. The wooded holes sucked balls as there were barely any pathways, let alone fairways. And who doesn't love a parking lot hole? For this PDGA Major Event, there were little tiny pieces of old carpet tacked down and a stick in the ground with all the details like Hole #, distance and even a drawing of a suggested route, because - what more do you need to host a PDGA Major event?

Too late to edit. I may have accidentally lied. I forgot all about 2011 PDGA Tim Selinske US Masters event. That course, was without a doubt, the stupidest course ever for a PDGA Major Event. Back at that time, the course was on the DGCR Top 25 list. :wall: But, I vowed never to "speak" the name of that course so as not to accidentally promote it in some way......:\:|:|

Too late to edit. I may have accidentally lied. I forgot all about 2011 PDGA Tim Selinske US Masters event. That course, was without a doubt, the stupidest course ever for a PDGA Major Event. Back at that time, the course was on the DGCR Top 25 list. :wall: But, I vowed never to "speak" the name of that course so as not to accidentally promote it in some way......:\:|:|
I hear where you are coming from, but it's a different standard that what most of us operate with. I've given a lot of 3.5 ratings to courses that have no business hosting a PDGA major. They have flaws that wouldn't hold up to that sort of scrutiny, but they are fine to hold a B tier on. If we rated all the courses that are not good enough to host a PDGA major as a "1", that would create a lot of 1's. :\ I think that's more the issue with the review.

I thought at the time that the Texas course that will not be mentioned and Flip City sounded like they had a sort-of similar draw of being private courses with some "fun" elements that locals loved, but were somewhat gimmicky and not really creating the most competitive experience. People like me who can't really play go there and have a blast; we rate them highly based on the experience more than the golf. If you are recommending courses that you think other disc golfer will enjoy (which is what DGCR is supposed to be) that's fine. If you are going to host a PDGA major, the evaluation has to be 100% based on the shots. It's a much harsher standard that a lot fewer people are qualified to make.

Just a couple thoughts/observations.

I enjoyed the 747s, etc. at Idlewild. Admittedly, I was playing solo, and dig planes, but I didn't mind them at all.

USDGC and Beaver State (I think one of the courses at that tourney, anyway)) come to mind as two courses with parking lot holes in play. So it would seem that's not a deal breaker for majors/big events. Not sure how the hole in question plays compared to those, but they're kind of cool.

Last edited:
If this reveiwer was writing about the extra 7 holes, I would agree. I played the 2015 USWDGC and those 7 alphabet holes were without a doubt, about the stupidest holes I have ever played in a PDGA Major event. The wooded holes sucked balls as there were barely any pathways, let alone fairways. UreAnd who doesn't love a parking lot hole? For this PDGA Major Event, there were little tiny pieces of old carpet tacked down and a stick in the ground with all the details like Hole #, distance and even a drawing of a suggested route, because - what more do you need to host a PDGA Major event?
If you think 1/3'rd of the holes are unfair, then say so.
Maybe even describe it as "nearly half" if you're not keeping count.

But that's not how the review reads. Review makes it seems like the entire course is pinball-like. Reviewer clearly didn't enjoy their round, but I having played it, I have a hard time believing it was because the course as a whole, sucks.

Last edited:

Wasn't hard to figure out which one that is lol. I mean, for a casual round it looks rather fun but a Major? Wtf...

I enjoyed the 747s, etc. at Idlewild. Admittedly, I was playing solo, and dig planes, but I didn't mind them at all.

USDGC and Beaver State (I think one of the courses at that tourney, anyway)) come to mind as two courses with parking lot holes in play. So it would seem that's not a deal breaker for majors/big events. Not sure how the hole in question plays compared to those, but they're kind of cool.

The other to me is GBO. Didn't they have at one point a parking lot come into play at one point for an Island hole or having to throw over an ob parking on the the permanent course? The was before the permanent course they use got changed on that one hole for safety reasons having a pro on the top card almost hitting a parked car that should have been far enough away.

I agree. It's not a deal breaker and they're more interesting with the Pavement being OB and it actually plays on camera. These courses that have OB roped off are practically Impossible to see watching on YouTube. Hell I was at Pro Worlds and it's hard to see in person. I don't like skipping a disc off pavement by any means, but if your a pro player at least you get it back. Lots of places your out a disc. Memorial, Ledgestone, WACO?, MVP, Utah Open. Feel free to correct me that I'm wrong but I think there are others too. :popcorn:

Playing near an airport can be a buzzkill of you're looking for serenity, but after a while, the planes kinda fade into the background. Playing near an airshow is entirely a different matter, though.

I recall a round a few years ago at The Ponds of Lakeshore while an airshow was going on at Willow Run very near by. Felt like I was getting buzzed by F-15's or whatever they were. They were flying low and fast, specifically trying to put on a spectacular display for the crowd. It was kinda cool at times, because it was kinda like getting to watch the show for free, but damned those jets and copters are freaking loud, and it gets old fast.

But if you're into that sorta thing, play more rounds near an airfield.

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
o.png

The OP is probably looking at this right now, it says he's online lol. Anyways, why complain about a course that has trees, it's a specific skill set that's necessary for dg.

I got a kick out of this

And fourth, there's tee pads where there is NO tee pad! It's just this loose rubber like material that is so slippery you'll break your neck trying to throw off of it! Concrete teepads or nothing. Why do places think some sort of astroturf or rubber mat is an acceptable option? Concrete or the ground are the only acceptable tee pads when you are outside

Like...I get that rubber teepads sometimes suck, but it's a testament to this dude's apparent newbishness that he has never seen a rubber or astroturf teepad done well. They do exist, and IMO, are nearly uniformly better than dirt teepads!

Latest posts