• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

I am sure the guy is a gem. Sounds like he reviewed one of the top courses in ID. Sadly, I have NO idea what the course is about. I do really like turf tees though, they are much easier on old knees. :p

^this. Just cuz the rating's accurate, doesn't mean the review doesn't suck.

Paul Rothley = top 10 course designer simply "weighing in"/contributing, "a guy who knows a thing or two" recommendation for a course that has received feedback related to all those "drive by reviews" from people everyone is thinking "do not know a thing or two."

....Paul is designer of top ten, very unique course; Bucksnort DGC.

Bailey DGC, Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, and Bear Mountain were all just few miles from Bucksnort/home, as well.

So, even though Paulie does not have any trusted reviewer hardware sitting next to his name; his endorsement was added to contribute some validity.

I write short reviews mainly because I don't even like to read long reviews. To set things straight, I have either designed, or been on the design team of many of the top courses in Colorado. These courses to include - BuckSnort, Phantom Falls, Bailey, Beaver Ranch (also original owner of Destination Disc at Beaver Ranch DGC), Magic Meadows, and Mayer Ranch (also one of the original 3 people who started Foothill Flyers Disc Golf Club). Why am I boasting? Only because I am making a point of knowing first hand what a great course is, and Caliber is just that. Make a trip of it, Caliber will not disappoint you. P.S. Sorry if some of you don't like my short reviews, that is just how I roll. Regards.

I have either designed, or been on the design team of many of the top courses in Colorado. These courses to include - BuckSnort, Phantom Falls, Bailey, Beaver Ranch (also original owner of Destination Disc at Beaver Ranch DGC), Magic Meadows, and Mayer Ranch (also one of the original 3 people who started Foothill Flyers Disc Golf Club). Caliber will not disappoint you.

As a fellow disc golf traveler, info like this is gold. I hope you add it to the review. I personally would not have known this, had i not checked this thread today.

I write short reviews mainly because I don't even like to read long reviews. To set things straight, I have either designed, or been on the design team of many of the top courses in Colorado. These courses to include - BuckSnort, Phantom Falls, Bailey, Beaver Ranch (also original owner of Destination Disc at Beaver Ranch DGC), Magic Meadows, and Mayer Ranch (also one of the original 3 people who started Foothill Flyers Disc Golf Club). Why am I boasting? Only because I am making a point of knowing first hand what a great course is, and Caliber is just that. Make a trip of it, Caliber will not disappoint you. P.S. Sorry if some of you don't like my short reviews, that is just how I roll. Regards.

Preferences in reviews are somewhat like preferences in disc golf courses: They are by nature subjective. I don't like the overly long reviews that describe every hole in detail; others do. I prefer the medium length review that describes some overall features and mentions a few specific holes (both good and bad). Plus, I don't look at the number ratings nearly as much as I look at what reviewers say about the course. Most of us are not professional writers, but we should remember what our English teachers told us: Show, don't tell. If the purpose of the review is to inform, then information is needed.

I prefer the medium length review that describes some overall features and mentions a few specific holes (both good and bad).

Well said, aclay. I sometimes reflect on reviews I've written and consider that I could've written more. But it's a good reminder we don't need to read the 700-page classic of every course when just a cliff notes version might do.

Here's to medium reviews!

Review Length

Length of the review - not always an indicator although a 2-sentence review is unlikely to tell me much and a long review is likely to have useful information (I can skim if I want). What I am looking for something to get me excited to play a good course and a good set of reasons to avoid a bad course. I also appreciate the "middling" review that tells me that the course is okay to play if nearby but don't make a special road trip. Because that's exactly what I'll do. I'm willing to go on an adventure to see an interesting/challenging course. And I'm annoyed to make a special trip to a lame course (that's not near any others). But in all, I appreciate that people take the trouble to write reviews. Thanks for the free advice.

The pic of basket #1 says a lot. My tendency is to miss putts low when I miss... and this basket would still get in my head. :doh:

And that is a solid review, pointing out what good there was.

Latest posts