• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Before I read the review I thought, "This sounds like Turner Park". Sure enough, it was.

I can see the dissenting opinion to some degrees personally. You play next to a road on I think 5-7 holes iirc? I know I've had my disc run over by a car on hole 16 or 17. I can't remember which one it is. Downhill, 650' hole. I overturned my disc and it sailed down the road all the way to be pin high in middle of the road. I was walking to get my disc when an oncoming car swerved to run over it.

The playground, while often not busy, has had errant shots fly over/near it from bad tree kicks on holes 1 and 3 I believe it is. Hole 4's blind shot over the hill I've often had discs roll into the park road there as well, which does get travel by cars, though admittedly not often. There are at least 3 long walks to the next tee on a few holes that I remember. They're not grueling long, but not great when the course is already so extremely hilly and long. Every time I played Turner when I lived there, I was exhausted after the round.

Now, as far as crossing fairways goes, I can't think of any holes that cross each other. Maybe a couple on the back 9 get close in certain positions if you have a bad shot that hyzers out?

All that being said, I really like a lot of the holes at Turner. It has some of my favorite holes I've ever played. I certainly wouldn't rate it a 2, but I think it's a stretch at 3.75 also. Maybe that's my bias because DFW has so many courses better than Turner, I just don't see reason to play it much, if at all. You're always in spitting distance from a better course that won't leave you as worn out as Turner will. Solid 3 though. Maybe 3.5.
I didn't get to play the bomber hole because parks and rec was trimming trees on the fairway. I thought it was a pretty good course considering what you have to work with in DFW. And bonus, it was utterly deserted when I played. Vs Heritage which I think was a slightly better course but completely jam packed

I didn't get to play the bomber hole because parks and rec was trimming trees on the fairway. I thought it was a pretty good course considering what you have to work with in DFW. And bonus, it was utterly deserted when I played. Vs Heritage which I think was a slightly better course but completely jam packed

I've only played Heritage once, when it first opened, and it was pretty empty. I can imagine it would be less fun when crowded. I think courses in DFW in general can get pretty crowded on the weekends though, which is why when I lived there I tried to play on weekdays.

I've only played Heritage once, when it first opened, and it was pretty empty. I can imagine it would be less fun when crowded. I think courses in DFW in general can get pretty crowded on the weekends though, which is why when I lived there I tried to play on weekdays.

Looking back at my UDisc I did indeed play Heritage on a Sunday and Turner the day after. Although Turner very much had a vibe that even if I'd been there on a weekend it wouldn't be busy. Well maintained but didn't feel like a place that got a ton of traffic

Looking back at my UDisc I did indeed play Heritage on a Sunday and Turner the day after. Although Turner very much had a vibe that even if I'd been there on a weekend it wouldn't be busy. Well maintained but didn't feel like a place that got a ton of traffic

IDK what the current traffic is like, but there used to be regular tourny's at Turner on Saturdays, so it was always crowded then.

Turner very much had a vibe that even if I'd been there on a weekend it wouldn't be busy. Well maintained but didn't feel like a place that got a ton of traffic

IDK what the current traffic is like, but there used to be regular tourny's at Turner on Saturdays, so it was always crowded then.

not sure if they still have regular minis but my last several visits have seen the course empty.

did a little research on the situation and apparently the course will definitely be removed once the park renovation is eventually completed. apparently that will take years though since the $25-30mil multi-phase project is still largely unfunded.
there was a promise that another course would be constructed before removing Turner but apparently that became a renovation and expansion of the Mtn Creek Park course nearby, a very underwhelming course on a property that has little to offer and constant high winds coming off the lake.

not sure if they still have regular minis but my last several visits have seen the course empty.

did a little research on the situation and apparently the course will definitely be removed once the park renovation is eventually completed. apparently that will take years though since the $25-30mil multi-phase project is still largely unfunded.
there was a promise that another course would be constructed before removing Turner but apparently that became a renovation and expansion of the Mtn Creek Park course nearby, a very underwhelming course on a property that has little to offer and constant high winds coming off the lake.

That is sad. While it's not my favorite course in the area, it's still nice. I'll have to make time to play it sometime this year.

I noticed the course designer's 5.0 review of Palmer Park in Detroit was pulled.
It was there last night.

Yeah, I read it. Almost dropped him a line to let him know he was really doing a disservice to the course, by giving it a homer 5. Then thought better, I would really like to know who it was. There are few more excited by the proposition of Detroit disc golf, than I, but providing an honest take and setting true expectations, will ultimately serve the chances of future projects as well as the integrity of this course.

I noticed the course designer's 5.0 review of Palmer Park in Detroit was pulled.
It was there last night.

I read it as well; it was clear that he gave it a higher rating than even he believed it deserved, which is infuriating. At least he was honest enough to say he was the designer. Others are not as honest.

I wonder if the fact that I gave it a 2.5 prompted him to throw out a 5.0, in an attempt to balance things. Maybe I'm overstating my importance.

Could be he just busted his @$$ to make it happen, and it's an emotional thing for him. My thanks to everyone who makes courses happen.

All I know is I tried to be as positive as I could be, while being honest. :|

Whatevs.. :\

Last edited:
I think it's acceptable to give a course a slightly higher rating than it deserves if it looks like the course is moving in the right direction. But if a person does that I think they should limit their rating to a plus .5 or maybe plus 1.
I also think it's human nature for a course designer to give their course a slightly higher rating as they can be a little blind to the courses faults. Again, they should limit their rating to a plus .5 or maybe plus 1.
This does not appear to be the case for Palmer Park. :doh:

I wonder if the fact that I gave it a 2.5 prompted him to throw out a 5.0, in an attempt to balance things. Maybe I'm overstating my importance.

Could be he just busted his @$$ to make it happen, and it's an emotional thing for him. My thanks to everyone who makes courses happen.

All I know is I tried to be as positive as I could be, while being honest. :|

Whatevs.. :\
If you give an honest review, that's good

But remember, no one really gives a damn.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If you give an honest review, that's good

But remember, no one really gives a damn.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

And nobody cares what you think about his review. And nobody cares what I have to say about your comment. And nobody cares about what the next person thinks either….. It's the true circle of life.

If no one cared about reviews, this thread wouldn't exist. Neither would this site.

Like anything else: some people care about them. Some people don't.

I write 'em for whomever's willing to read them.
No one's twisting anyone's arm to read them.

Last edited:

Latest posts