• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball Golf Cart mod - weight distribution issues?

Broken Shoulder

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I could have bumped an old cart thread, but...eh, whatever. :p

My question is for any of you that have converted a ball golf cart to a disc golf pull cart and attached your bag using the shelf method.

How is the weight distribution on the cart? By that I mean... does the cart get top-heavy with the bag sitting up in the middle of the cart that way and create any issues? Or, perhaps, say you're dragging it sideways across a hill... does the higher weight of the bag/discs try to pull your cart down the hill and ever twist it over? Anything else of note that people may not think of until they've been using one for a while?

I'm considering a DIY cart project and am seeing pros/cons for both a GoCart style and a Pull cart style. Just seeking opinions.

Thanks.

Good point to consider. That is my biggest complaint with the GoCart... I prefer my bag side to side instead of front to back so I could have access to the entire disc compartment. The only way to have the bag sit side to side is to put it up towards the front of the cart, since that is where the door flap opens. Unfortunately because of this the moment you tilt your cart to move, it brings the bag (and the center of gravity) up and that makes the cart very unstable. I wish there was a way to move the bag over the axle and still have access to all my discs.

If you are concerned with weight distribution, fill a cooler and put it on the bottom. That will put the majority of the weight on the wheels.

Can you post a pic? The one I converted I added one hook and the weight distribution is perfectly fine

No pic. I don't have a cart...yet. :)

I'm leaning towards just building my own...kind of a hybrid of the two styles.

I have an adjustable handle on mine (with Ergo), and it makes a world of difference with bringing a cooler or not. I mounted the bag as high as possible without disrupting the balance, and I've been happy with it (the handle really helps). I've noticed hills being a bit of an issue but not terrible.

Honestly it's been such a nice experience that I'm looking at buying a Ridge Roller or whatever Zuca winds up calling theirs. It doesn't have the back on the seat like the GoCart, but it seems to me to be much more feature rich and will fit much more easily in my car.

I have an adjustable handle on mine (with Ergo), and it makes a world of difference with bringing a cooler or not. I mounted the bag as high as possible without disrupting the balance, and I've been happy with it (the handle really helps). I've noticed hills being a bit of an issue but not terrible.

Honestly it's been such a nice experience that I'm looking at buying a Ridge Roller or whatever Zuca winds up calling theirs. It doesn't have the back on the seat like the GoCart, but it seems to me to be much more feature rich and will fit much more easily in my car.

I like the look of the Ridge Roller a lot, actually. I don't think the absence of a backrest would be a concern, for me, as I would anticipate sitting forward most of the time anyway. (No backrest on my CampTime stool.) Not sure I really like the storage being mostly behind the discs, and the full front side-opening door kinda bugs me for some reason.

I like certain features of each cart option, really. The ball golf cart mod brings your discs up higher and allows the use of your regular bag, which already carries discs and other assorted items really well. I like the easy transition between cart/no cart this way, and not having to either create two "bags" or transfer all your items from your normal bag to your cart. But, I really want the cart for the seat, so you either bring another seat or do some sort of folding janky seat setup with this. The light weight would also be a plus.
Ridge Roller or GoCart allows the seat, but again won't really carry my Grip, so I'm back to switching bags. And, I don't want to spend $225+, if I'm really being honest.

So, I think I'm at the point where I want to build a sort of hybrid of the two AROUND my Grip. Keeping the weight down, and making it compact enough to fit in my car trunk since I got rid of the SUV, are really my biggest issues. But I've been brainstorming... :)

3/4 wheel push cart

I use a 3 wheel push cart with a 5 gallon bucket support (straps in using the golf bag straps on the bottom support). Have a lid on the 5 gallon bucket and my grip rides nice. I simply throw the shoulder straps over the top support on the cart. I bungie them down. I'll be switching to the fossa tana once it gets here. I expect it to be an improvement on the drop with the cart velcro strap built into it so I will no longer even need the bungie. Might not even need the 5 gallon bucket.

any of the 3/4 wheel push carts should work well. I selected a 3 wheel that folds down tight as my cargo capacity is limited in my vehicle. Just something to keep in mind... The smaller they get the more expensive they are (in general). Craigs list always has some for sale.

I just picked these two his and hers bagboys up at goodwill, they were having a BOGO FREE sale.
I got them both for $11.97 !!!
Should be a fun little project

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150404_193746-1.jpg
    20150404_193746-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 247
The easiest way to adapt a ball golf cart is to build 2 brackets
One at the base for a small cooler
Another up a bit to hold your bag
To adjust the center of gravity you can move the height of the bag and or change the length of the foot
I took about 3 inches off mine recently and it makes it alot more stable on hills ect

change the length of the foot
I took about 3 inches off mine recently and it makes it alot more stable on hills ect

as i am poking at these, i was thinking that i needed to trim a little off :hfive:

i have cut and prepped a couple of aluminum stool legs to make into a bag mount, just waiting for my buddy to tig weld them